Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Loot is back! It’s still a good time and it has what must be a bizarrely expensive music budget

Maya Rudolph is a national treasure and deserves a place of veneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hughlander posted:

Maya Rudolph is a national treasure and deserves a place of veneration.

Oh, the nepo baby?

:smuggo:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loot is kind of a dogshit show morally tbh but it’s fun and has good jokes so

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I just finished Constellation. What a waste of an otherwise interesting premise!

I hate that they setup the ending halfway through and then just didn't go through with it??? Henry explains how a waveform works to Alice and that it collapses when observed by an outsider. I assumed that meant that when the extremely fragile looking CAL was inevitably broken one of the universes would disappear so Jo was going to face a choice on whether to break it or not. Maybe she would die. Maybe Paul would live. Maybe she would end up back in the right universe. The whole point of the quantum metaphor is that she won't know until she makes a choice to perturb the superposition.

Instead we get the stupid "There are two universes and one is the darkest timeline with Henry on trial for murder, Paul in a hospital and craycray, and Jo Two-Face in Space" ending. Ugh!

Others have pointed that half the scientists in this drat show are the most incurious people imaginable. That also bugged the hell out of me.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Man I was hoping Sugar would be good because I love Colin Farrell and I love this genre, but the first episode has already exceeded ny expectations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

Man I was hoping Sugar would be good because I love Colin Farrell and I love this genre, but the first episode has already exceeded ny expectations.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/sugar-review-colin-farrell-apple-1234996609/

Apparently, this has a crazy twist towards the end of the season that turns it into a completely different show. None of the reviewers will spoil it, so now I'm going to be looking for clues for most of the season. Is Colin Farrel a robot? Living in the matrix? What???

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2024

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

SimonChris posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-reviews/sugar-review-colin-farrell-apple-1234996609/

Apparently, this has a crazy twist in episode six that turns it into a completely different show. None of the reviewers will spoil it, so now I'm going to be looking for clues for most of the season. Is Colin Farrel a robot? Living in the matrix? What???

drat it, i accidently rolled over that. Any chance next time you can put the soilery bit at the end of the sentence?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat the dialogue in Sugar ep 1 is truly atrocious

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Daily Beast review of Sugar

This review spoils the central mystery of Sugar (labelled "Minor spoilers" to boot). Do NOT read unless you - like me - can't wait to know.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Ugh, I didnt spoil myself but that doesnt bode well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I watched the first episode, show is interesting at least, I loved the scene where he collapses but he's still standing in the mirror apparently watching himself. I do wish I didn't know there is supposed to be some kind of twist though, since now I'm looking out for it/reading too much into things.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
I haven't read any of those spoilers but it's very strange to write a noir where the protagonist is the most morally decent person who's ever lived

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do they ever play the System of a Down song?

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I do wish I didn't know there is supposed to be some kind of twist though, since now I'm looking out for it/reading too much into things.
After watching the second episode Im not sure if its a bad thing or kind of adds to the experience. Like we already knew there were things the show wasnt explaining, like his mystery illness, and the kind of odd relationship with his handler. Him not being able to get drunk, then ep2 just sitting on the bed all night with the dog kinda hint at him being an android or some poo poo, which honestly would be loving great but the present-day setting doesnt really support that. Anyway as long as its not some kinda 'hes imagining/what we have seen hasnt really happened' bullshit I could probably roll with it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Been enjoying Sugar. It's up its own rear end in a way I appreciate.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zoracle Zed posted:

I haven't read any of those spoilers but it's very strange to write a noir where the protagonist is the most morally decent person who's ever lived

Raymond Chandler - The Simple Art of Murder posted:

In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid. The detective in this kind of story must be such a man. He is the hero; he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor—by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world. I do not care much about his private life; he is neither a eunuch nor a satyr; I think he might seduce a duchess and I am quite sure he would not spoil a virgin; if he is a man of honor in one thing, he is that in all things.

He is a relatively poor man, or he would not be a detective at all. He is a common man or he could not go among common people. He has a sense of character, or he would not know his job. He will take no man’s money dishonestly and no man’s insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him. He talks as the man of his age talks—that is, with rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness.

The story is this man’s adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

the show explicitly quotes the canon too! Do you really see Sugar's moral disposition as a simple reflection of Marlowe et al? maybe i'm crazy

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Really enjoying Sugar. Simon Kinberg's involvement must have been limited to funding and nothing else

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I'm also really enjoying Sugar and avoiding reading as much about it as I can. Colin Farrell is fantastic in everything. Episode 3 really threw me for a loop though.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

ShowTime posted:

I'm also really enjoying Sugar and avoiding reading as much about it as I can. Colin Farrell is fantastic in everything. Episode 3 really threw me for a loop though.

Yeah, it really did. I might have to watch it again

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've read every spoiler I could find on Sugar, and I still have no idea what's going on. I like it.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

ShowTime posted:

Episode 3 really threw me for a loop though.

Haha, right. I had a moment where I thought this polyglot group is a bunch of aliens, but I really haveno clue wtf.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Kind of intrigued to see whether Michael Douglas can possibly pull off Ben Franklin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If he can't do it well, I hope he at least got real weird with it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Trailer for new Blake Crouch adaptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14

(And not the lovely TV series from ten years ago.)

Crouch is adapting it himself, which is good, because he's actually a pretty tight TV writer when adapting his own stuff (first season of Wayward Pines, both seasons of Good Behavior). Plus Connelley goes so goes my country.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

Haha, right. I had a moment where I thought this polyglot group is a bunch of aliens, but I really haveno clue wtf.

This is where I’m leaning rn

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If they are doing some sort of alien infiltration plotline (which is also my guess, given all the cuts to the moon and such) then I've no idea what a second season of this would look like. Maybe a different genre shift each season, with a different director and style attached?

Though it would be a shame to lose what Fernando Meirelles is brining to the noir elements -- though the one spoiler I know is that (and this is a directional thing) they deliberately drop his style later in the season.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 13, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Trailer for new Blake Crouch adaptation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ucGt_Xp14

(And not the lovely TV series from ten years ago.)

Crouch is adapting it himself, which is good, because he's actually a pretty tight TV writer when adapting his own stuff (first season of Wayward Pines, both seasons of Good Behavior). Plus Connelley goes so goes my country.

ah, a dark version of Sliders

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ll give sugar a few more episodes. The homages and hodgepodge of styles are kinda off putting to me and Sugar trying to be individual savior in addition to all his other personality traits is a lot.

My spouse is digging it so maybe I just need to settle into it .

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sonatinas posted:

I’ll give sugar a few more episodes. The homages and hodgepodge of styles are kinda off putting to me and Sugar trying to be individual savior in addition to all his other personality traits is a lot.

My vibe is that this is some massive overcompensating guilt.

It's an interesting take on the idea of the Noir protagonist who becomes obsessed with a random girl. Sugar's gonna glom onto any sad soul that crosses his path, because (ep 3) he's part of some alien(?) infiltration project that's probably not got their best interests at heart.

This is just my theorycrafting based on the first three episodes though.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I didn't really pick up on the whole alien (or otherwise) thing, but I guess it makes sense. I just guessed Sugar was some kind of super ex-CIA operative with a heroic complex after he lost his daughter or something. Which I guess they initially paint it as that, but who is that good, really? He's like, too kind to be this way without having some kind of really weird background.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
It turns out, Société Polyglotte Cosmopolite means "Cosmopolitan Polyglot Society!"

😒

Wait, guess what "polyglot" means!

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

It turns out, Société Polyglotte Cosmopolite means "Cosmopolitan Polyglot Society!"

😒

Wait, guess what "polyglot" means!

Poor Davey is such a fail son

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I watched the first episode of Franklin. Where are the turtles?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Sugar as an alien would be cool and unexpected for the genre I guess but I suppose I'm hoping there's something else going on, even if it's just an insane Get Shorty.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ron Funches getting heckled in this week’s Loot is the hardest I’ve ever laughed at this show probably. “You look like if Luther Vandross worked at a GameStop”. I really wish this show would focus on its premise more tho

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Sugar as an alien would be cool and unexpected for the genre I guess but I suppose I'm hoping there's something else going on, even if it's just an insane Get Shorty.

I haven't watched ep4 that's just dropped yet, but the polyglot gathering in ep3 I maybe got a little 'Wings of Desire' Angels in the Library vibe, is this drat show a reboot of Highway to Heaven!? :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sugar ep 4

It'll never happen but now they've dangled the possibility in front of me I'll be seriously disappointed if they're not all Things