Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The worst part of this show is that when the credits roll, apple wants me to watch that lovely movie Gravity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Cojawfee posted:

The worst part of this show is that when the credits roll, apple wants me to watch that lovely movie Gravity.

I've never seen Gravity in 2d but that movies absolutely owns in 3D.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I guess watching George Clooney pointlessly fly around an MMU and wasting fuel before he dies because he's out of fuel would be interesting in 3D, but the movie sucks poo poo.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Gravity loving rocks

sad you can't enjoy thrillers about idiots (most of them)

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Wow, Feud S2 finishes up and here's Palm Royale to fulfil the quota of booze-sozzled-pill-addled socialites behaving badly in late-60s fashions.

Wiig seems perfect for this, she already has that very precise early-70s willowy look, I reckon. Backcomb the hair, bang, done.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I do like that Apple seems to have something ready to go when a show ends. Unlike Amazon or Paramount where they have a show, it runs its course and then there's nothing else interesting for a few months.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Well, Feud was on FX (we both know this, I'm just saying for the sake of completeness) so it's just a coincidence w.r.t. subject matter - though the point is correct and I'm glad of it - I expect Sugar is supposed to be the next adult-oriented-vaguely-sci-fi item rotating in and being dropped onto the content treadmill after Constellation finishes.

Good old Tim Apple. Money used for good, for once. (Absolutely do not quote me on that.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
God that last episode of Constellation was annoying as gently caress.
So there's a third dimension I guess? Or another space between them, where the house is abandoned? Since both Alices were in separate ones I guess every dimension has that "underside" bit.

Her finally saying to Alice "So you can't speak Swedish" and then coming to the realisation that we've known since episode 2 just frustrated me, I dunno. Bud and Henry swapping back was interesting. But with just a single episode left I don't know what payoff they can give us that isn't just going to be "wait until series 2!" or just generally unimpressive.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Taear posted:

God that last episode of Constellation was annoying as gently caress.
So there's a third dimension I guess? Or another space between them, where the house is abandoned? Since both Alices were in separate ones I guess every dimension has that "underside" bit.

Her finally saying to Alice "So you can't speak Swedish" and then coming to the realisation that we've known since episode 2 just frustrated me, I dunno. Bud and Henry swapping back was interesting. But with just a single episode left I don't know what payoff they can give us that isn't just going to be "wait until series 2!" or just generally unimpressive.

I watched the first episode and decided to wait until learning more about later episodes. It seems like it might be a pass from me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The show is a lot of "weird poo poo is happening and my daughter is scared and confused. Should I tell her I'm seeing weird stuff too? No, I will gaslight her."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The show is a lot of "weird poo poo is happening and my daughter is scared and confused. Should I tell her I'm seeing weird stuff too? No, I will gaslight her."

I think (I said before) if they made it so Jo was kinda confused and both realities were merging in her head it'd be okay. But they don't! She even really fights about what she saw in space but seems totally fine that the layout of her house is different, the people who are there are different and all sorts of other poo poo.
They COULD have made this work - even if they told us that the lithium was making them confused, they just don't bother at all.

It's like they expect the viewers to be TOTALLY baffled by the mystery even though it's pretty clearly and obviously laid out. I mentioned before but the reddit barely has any theorising because there's just nothing to theorise about until this last episode maybe.

Taear fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 21, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Taear posted:

I think (I said before) if they made it so Jo was kinda confused and both realities were merging in her head it'd be okay. But they don't! She even really fights about what she saw in space but seems totally fine that the layout of her house is different, the people who are there are different and all sorts of other poo poo.
They COULD have made this work - even if they told us that the lithium was making them confused, they just don't bother at all.

It's like they expect the viewers to be TOTALLY baffled by the mystery even though it's pretty clearly and obviously laid out.

Pro tip, go into every show you watch with the expectation that the writers think they are far more clever than they really are.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Taear posted:

It's like they expect the viewers to be TOTALLY baffled by the mystery even though it's pretty clearly and obviously laid out. I mentioned before but the reddit barely has any theorising because there's just nothing to theorise about until this last episode maybe.

Making your show entirely about scientists (including a noble prize winner) and astronauts and having them being entirely uncurious and unforthcoming is an odd choice. At least do an exposition dump as to why they would find this area touchy.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 21, 2024

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

apatheticman posted:

Making your show entirely about scientists (including a noble prize winner) and astronauts and having them being entirely uncurious and unforthcoming is an odd choice. At least do an exposition dump as to why they would find this area touchy.

Yea. Like one thing I really enjoy in Star Trek is when someone comes up and says "Stuff's gone weird" to the other characters they don't say "Shut up that makes no sense" they look into it
And honestly I'd expect astronauts to do that exact same thing in this case.

A lot of the reddit keeps posting about how confusing and "well done" the story is but it's legit just two universes where a character died and swapped with their alive person in the other universe. That's it. We have the mystery of why this hasn't happened with Bud/Henry and why Alice can see the other world but that's kinda it. And it just keeps showing us "there's two universes. Did you know? There's two. Whoa! Look at how there's two universes" and it's getting proper boring.

I kinda feel like I'm expecting a story on the same level as Dark and it's just not happening. AND in Dark when things change the characters themselves understand even if they hide it, they're not just instantly baffled by the changes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Wow, this screen on your computer looks weird, especially since there shouldn't be any results on Earth. Anyway, I'm not going to mention it to you. In fact I will refuse to talk to you at all. I am leaving now. I'm a scientist."

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'll reserve judgment until the end of the season but I'm pretty sure the show is less about learning about multiple realities (which we discovered in the first episode or two) and more about what it would feel like to be Schrödinger's cat.

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012

BetterLekNextTime posted:

more about what it would feel like to be Schrödinger's cat.

Schrödinger's cabin

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I enjoy Constellation but man is it needlessly drawn out.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Yea, they pretty much killed it with the first episode, escalated a few things in the 2nd and since then have been struggling. I haven't even finished the latest episode and not sure if I want too.

Manhunt is pretty decent. I haven't watched Palm Royale yet, but i'm a big fan of Kristen Wiig so I will one day.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Flipped off the last scene of constellation.

BOOOOOOO

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What the heck was that?

Is Constellation going to get another season or did I just miss a lot.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

From some interview posted:

William Catlett and Peter Harness both have discussed the potential for Constellation season 2. Catlett expressed excitement about exploring his character further and shared ideas for the plot. Harness hinted at a potential endpoint for the series and expressed readiness to continue if given the opportunity.

yeah they probably don't even have a rough draft of season 2 made. That ending reminded me of those typical "The End ... or is it???" scenes in bad movies that never get funding for sequels

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Constellation is truly the Uwe Boll of streaming. But seriously, was the whole thing a tax dodge/reverse Zaslav?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Does anyone know how I too can get a show made where I get to say "wouldn't it be neat if..." a bunch of times without ever having to have anything make sense?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
OHHHHHHHH FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

No, I loved it. S2 is going to be awesome.

Zombie Astronaut Invasion From Outer Space

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I was all on-board with the Constellation ending until the final scene, which was indeed a bit tacky. I unironically love the idea of a mystery show where the resolution is for people to go "gently caress this poo poo; life is too short. Is this my real daughter? Eh, close enough."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Regarding the ending scene. Who the gently caress even was that? Unless I'm radically mistaken, I'm pretty sure there wasn't that much of Jo's face gone when she died. I thought she bashed her head on the window and then a bunch of blood got sucked out (well, technically, her body blew the blood out). This looks like a third Jo that got part of her face ripped off? I guess there needs to be a third Jo out there to be able to hit that button in the station that unlocks the Soyuz. Does this mean there is a third reality or even more? Who knows? Maybe we'll never know. If they even get a second season they will probably forget they even did that. That just reeked of "See what happens next time!"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

ehh I'm ok with it, it's not like it came out of nowhere, we've been seeing stuff with the spooky cosmonaut skeleton all season and I just took that as a bit of a tease that there's actually some explanation for that stuff/more going on with the dead doubles than we know

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
My interpretation is that dying during a quantum event gets you stuck in a Schrödinger's cat superposition between alive and dead, with the capability to haunt the other universe.

The more I think about it, this was basically a shaggy dog story. Eight hours of build-up for the mystery box equivalent of "gently caress you, clown" or "better nate than lever". Luckily, I don't mind being the target of a good prank and had a jolly good time, but I definitely understand the bad reviews now.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

The more I think about it, this was basically a shaggy dog story. Eight hours of build-up for the mystery box equivalent of "gently caress you, clown" or "better nate than lever". Luckily, I don't mind being the target of a good prank and had a jolly good time, but I definitely understand the bad reviews now.

Maybe a similar take, but I think the writers maybe intended the physics/plot details to be secondary to being metaphors for how time apart and traumatic events can change us.

I liked the show but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone else. The second to last episode was great but the ending definitely didn't sing. Maybe I'll watch it again some day but yeah, my overall feelings were it didn't work as a straight sci-fi story for all the reasons that were brought up itt but it didn't quite have enough of the beautiful weirdness to make it work on the abstract level. I do like the exploration of overlapping realities but it was too long and the emotional notes weren't varied enough to make it great.

We're also 3 eps into Palm Royale and it fun but completely vacant and unmemorable.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I enjoyed Constellation to keep watching until the end but I didn't understand it enough to determine if the show stayed faithful to its own internal logic. Why did Bud/Henry switch places? We'll never know, and it probably doesn't matter. But it confused the hell out of me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

huh posted:

I enjoyed Constellation to keep watching until the end but I didn't understand it enough to determine if the show stayed faithful to its own internal logic. Why did Bud/Henry switch places? We'll never know, and it probably doesn't matter. But it confused the hell out of me.

Bud clearly did it himself, but why? Who knows. We don't even really know why Henry was making the CAL. There wasn't anything you weren't understanding there - it just doesn't actually tell us.

I feel like they wanted to tell a really specific incredibly boring obvious story. We had two decent episodes exploring an interesting concept then just span our wheels about the same concept for the rest of the runtime.

This really does show they didn't really care much for the concept I think

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 28, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So it sounds like Constellation ended up being just a bigger version of Harness' Doctor Who writing where he didn't quite seem to understand himself what point he was trying to make?

Edit: I caught the first episode and I really dug the "she's alone on the space station and has 15 minutes to work on repairs before having to bunker down for a couple of hours, and there's only limited time before she's basically dead unless she can get poo poo working" thing, but the stuff with the cabin made me figure that probably wasn't going to be what the entire series was about.

I was one of those who really liked the movie Gravity, so I would have been thrilled with more of that.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 28, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The why of why Bud did it is pretty obvious. Whatever happened on that mission, he didn't gently caress up, his astronauts were still alive. Then something happens and they are dead. I'm guessing he gets back to Earth, there's an investigation, it doesn't go well for him, and then his life is in shambles, he loses the job at NASA and all he's got is that book he wrote that has a bunch of things that don't match his real life in that reality. Over time he notices Henry and realizes that Henry is living the life he was supposed to live. Henry's astronauts lived, he clearly keeps working at NASA and wins a nobel prize and makes the CAL. It's pretty obvious that Bud would want that life that should have been his. The how is what we don't know. It seems that when Bud doesn't take his meds, he is able to do things to Henry. He made Henry piss his pants when talking to what's his face about going up to the lake house. I'm guessing that being in the liminal space of the lake and the CAL being there, Bud was able to wish hard enough to switch with Henry that it became possible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Taear posted:

This really does show they didn't really care much for the concept I think

Holy gently caress, he originally wanted to end the show with a dog walking around in space. I give up, this guy clearly has no idea what the story of the show is and he's just loving around. I guess I'll watch season 2 if there is one, but I won't for a second take it seriously.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The why of why Bud did it is pretty obvious. Whatever happened on that mission, he didn't gently caress up, his astronauts were still alive. Then something happens and they are dead. I'm guessing he gets back to Earth, there's an investigation, it doesn't go well for him, and then his life is in shambles, he loses the job at NASA and all he's got is that book he wrote that has a bunch of things that don't match his real life in that reality. Over time he notices Henry and realizes that Henry is living the life he was supposed to live. Henry's astronauts lived, he clearly keeps working at NASA and wins a nobel prize and makes the CAL. It's pretty obvious that Bud would want that life that should have been his. The how is what we don't know. It seems that when Bud doesn't take his meds, he is able to do things to Henry. He made Henry piss his pants when talking to what's his face about going up to the lake house. I'm guessing that being in the liminal space of the lake and the CAL being there, Bud was able to wish hard enough to switch with Henry that it became possible.

Sorry when I say why I mean "why was he able to do that" not "why would he do it"
I mean why the gently caress did they just leave Henry lying in the snow and all leave as well? Him waking up there smashing the CAL and leaving himself felt absolutely bizarre to me. Like you came up there with this really important guy and he's just vanished and nobody's gone "Uh wait"

Jerusalem posted:

So it sounds like Constellation ended up being just a bigger version of Harness' Doctor Who writing where he didn't quite seem to understand himself what point he was trying to make?

It feels like a case of "he had a story about how people react to being in a totally different circumstance" but the vehicle of the dimensions that he used to tell it and his splashes of explanation meant what you're looking for is more explanation and that's just absolutely not the story he's telling.
So you end up feeling sorta ripped off by the end.

There's SO loving MUCH of the show that could be resolved by people actually saying what they think is going on. So much of it. And it never happens, it gets more and more and more frustrating as the show goes on.

The baffling cameo with Christopher Fairbanks in the last episode felt like it was lifted from a different show honestly.

Taear fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 28, 2024

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao what a dumbass show and season finale, literally exhibit A of “when writers are addicted to the smell of their own farts”

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
At least Manhunt is really good.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Irene was from the other universe. She is well aware of it. She knew that it wouldn't be good if the CAL was brought back, that's why she was adamant of leaving it up there.

Jo kept having episodes of being on the iss because that Jo is still alive.

Irene doesn't have those, her other half is dead.

Henry did because bud was alive.

Paul didn't have arm pain because his other half is truly dead too?

Paul also was explaining to Alice how bad her mom was injured, before being stopped, so I don't think there is a 3rd universe, we just didn't get to see the extent of the injury until the end.

The husband pisses me off though. It's obvious to him that something is way off, but he barely even questions it?

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 31, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loot is back! It’s still a good time and it has what must be a bizarrely expensive music budget