Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Just binged through all of Ted Lasso this weekend, what a delightful show and also gently caress me I didn't realize they do one episode a week.

The Sam/Rebecca thing is weird but I love it for Sam bc I can't help but root for him in all things.

Also love Nates arc so far, excited to see him lose his loving mind soon

Roy is the best character on the show, followed closely by Keeley. Feels like those two make me laugh more consistently than everyone else and are just such well constructed characters

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

frogbs posted:

I just had a terrible idea. They should reboot House M.D. but with Roy’s actor as House. It could work, if his American accent is bad enough.

*Man screaming in agony in the emergency room*

"Oi! Wanker! Shut the gently caress up!"

pokeyman posted:

She steals every scene, and that's no easy feat with this cast.

Shes such an absurdly talented actress

Also glad to see y'all hated that dumbass oil company plotline too

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

RacistsSuck posted:

gently caress I love Ted Lasso so much, and it’s my happy escape thing on tv.

And then last night the show hits me with a line of dialogue that hit me like it was personally targeted. loving brutal.

My dad killed himself when I was 16.

Condolences good goon, that's absolutely brutal to deal with at any point but especially at that age. What a tragedy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

I loved it in 203. They just haven’t really done anything with it since then, and it really seems blatant. It’s the main criticism of this season I can really get on board with because really? They replaced freaking Dubai Air with a tiny dating app and that’s it?

Yea in 203 I thought it was fine with sort of bland liberal politics but I thought we were going to get some conflict about club finances or get some deeper characterization of Sam and his father but instead it was just thrown away.

My initial cynical thought was they needed to do that bc if they were ever going to write anything about black players being political there's no loving way it's gonna be about the police so might as well use that one up on something bland. Of course I was wrong and it was just some odd throwaway

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Almost threw my remote at the TV when they did the Jaime-Keely-Roy love triangle bit. Jesus loving christ what rear end in a top hat thought that was a good idea? You've made Roy into the perfect boyfriend so if you break them up so Jaime and Keely get back together then either Keely goes from an absolutely delightful character to complete rear end in a top hat, Roy suddenly becomes a monster, or it goes nowhere and you just wasted the audiences time.

Didn't love the editing of Ted's confession with Rebecca's. That weaving implies they're going through similar emotional journeys but I'm sorry your dad killing himself when you're a teenager and you finding his body is not remotely comparable to catching your dad cheating. That said both confessions were quite good and I'm glad we got more of Ted talking about his dad.

They better land this Nate plane. They've been teasing that poo poo for 2 seasons and the Rupert thing massively ups the ante. I would love if Rupert's doing the team purchase and poach thing another goon suggested.

Lastly Sassy is the best, I could watch her relentlessly go after Rupert forever.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It does feel like this season would be a lot stronger if they had accelerated whatever they're doing with Nate. That seems like the actual antagonistic element they need but they've just strung it out for so long.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

It was a fantastic episode.

I’m really not sure where people are getting that Keely and Roy were both in the wrong in their argument. Keely didn’t even do anything

She asked him about his personal beliefs on death and then got upset with him when he didn't bring sufficient gravity to the conversation and maybe a hint of not respecting his views on death. You can't force someone into existential conversations and then get upset with them if they don't respond in the way you wanted.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Finally Nate made his move. Good god that should’ve happened 3 episodes ago. So glad he’s finally showing his colors. What a little bastard. I hope Sam leaves so I don’t have to see anymore of the Sam/Rebecca dynamic.

Based on how they described this as the Empire Strikes Back season I’m guessing Sam leaves, Nate burns all the bridges before going to whatever Ruperts doing, and Keeley/Roy breakup. Oh and the team gets promoted.

I genuinely hate the weekly release format. It’s a thing Disney does as well to stretch out the cultural relevancy of the show but what ends up happening is all the pacing flaws are painfully exposed. Releasing it all at once to binge helps smooth over a lot of weaknesses like how long they took to do the Nate reveal. It’s just compounded bc they added two extra episodes for padding. I hope they stop doing it but next season I’m going to wait until there’s at least 9 eps out before starting to watch.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 2, 2021

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

the show has managed to convince me they should break up keeley and roy now that two of my favorite characters no longer get interesting plots bc they're stuck in dumb dating plots every episode since mid season, so i guess well done writers. i just want more roy plots that dont center on him being a good boyfriend. the beginning of the season stuff with him doing commenting and then joining the coaching staff were all so good. and god idk how they're going to fix keeley but she kinda sucks now, let her be fun again please.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'd accept a longer cut of Roy's retirement announcement.

i would loving love this. also if this show ends after 3 seasons please god give me a Roy Kent spin off

LionArcher posted:

Her and Ted not hanging out hugely hurt. They had a great friendship and it really helped flesh out both of them.

absolutely, they have such great chemistry together, id love more keely/ted hangouts

LionArcher posted:

The drop off in quality here is worse than the last two seasons of Game of Thrones. At least there everyone acting like idiots fit with what we had seen prior.

disagree, its a drop off but its more a pacing issue and some weird choices more than a total collapse (which is what happened in GoT). The early season Roy stuff was great, the entire Ted/Doc arc was genuinely great, anything with Sassy is delightful, and the Jamie/his dad stuff was exceptionally well written. They just desperately needed a better through-line this season to tie it all together. And of course the massive whiff with Rebecca/Sam is a big problem. The power dynamics are gross and their chemistry can't overcome it.

oh also we're all on the same page that the new billionaire is secretly evil as gently caress right?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

VagueRant posted:

]

I honestly can't tell if his evil with absurdly wasteful spending and literally still being a billionaire) is written intentionally, or if that's just American TV's love of disgusting wealth being a fun, exciting thing to put to film and we're not actually meant to read anything into it.

The helicopter shots felt like it was more languishing in glamorous spectacle than telling a story.

Yea the wasteful spending is a toss-up but his ability to hit every single note that Sam would love is I think intended to be a flag. It just reeked of manipulation to me.

Semi related but I think hilariously enough they might actually try to keep drawing this distinction that rich people can be wonderful (since most of the cast is wildly wealthy), just not billionaires.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

oh poo poo that is a sick trophy

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

I still assume it’s Man City they’ll face for the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

oh also noticed Ted Lasso's little trend they're doing for final games of the season

season 1: last second loss
season 2: last second tie
season 3: assuming last second win for the title, just realized this might be a penalty kick situation since that'd make for good tv