Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

The teasers for the new Foundation show have got me pretty excited, I must say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvOAA1U0li8

I mean, I understand the need to put together a narrative that's easier for a TV audience to follow, but it sounds like they are basically just inventing their own plot and characters out of thin air. It's hard to trust the writers with that much heavy lifting, although For All Mankind and Ted Lasso are two of the best-written shows out there these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Man, I wish I was more optimistic. I just think that in order for it to work as a scripted drama they are going to have to invent so many characters and so many plots out of thin air that the central idea of the series gets pushed aside in favor of clichéd violence, sex, and forced intrigue. Foundation is about the life / death / rebirth cycle of civilization. It's super big-picture and cynical, and that's what made it interesting to me, and what separated it out from all of the generic space operas out there. I think David S. Goyer is just going to turn it into a mix of comic book movie and Game of Thrones.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Taear posted:

Holy poo poo For All Mankind is amazing and goes from strength to strength.
I'm really sad it's on a service that nobody (at least here in the UK) has, or often has even heard of! It feels loving WASTED there.

I thought so too until they turned Karen into a sociopath in season 2.