Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I'm starting to think that Nate is a bit of a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I sort of wonder what Nate's plan here is. Discredit Ted so he returns to the USA and takes Heard with him, so he might be next in line before Roy due to seniority? Using these news to have an excuse to parachute out to work somewhere else? Either one sounds a bit stupid and ineffective, to be honest.

Maybe he just did it to throw a self destructive tantrum.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MiddleOne posted:

Don't really get the timeline of when he even made the tip to be honest, but maybe next episode will tell.

I'd imagine at the beginning if the episode/day. No real incentive for the media to sit on that story. It's not like they would need to do independent investigative research for some gossip hit-piece.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Robobot posted:

It's pretty heavily implied he did it after kissing Keely. He spit on the mirror and made a power play. Just like in the restaurant.

Oh yes, you're right.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Problematic Pigeon posted:

Low key best character on Veep.

Huh, I did not recognize him at all. It's Splett!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Kathryn Hahn is knocking it out of the park ... again ... in "The shrink next door".

And casting Paul Rudd against his usual type :discourse: (holy poo poo, the scumbaggery on display here)
So good, you almost forget that Will Ferrell is also killing it.

I am in the midst of watching ep 3 right now - "Is she holding a candle?" Oh my loving god, like a slow motion train wreck.

I just went through those 3 episodes and holy hell. That's certainly not the sort of role Rudd tends to play but he's really good at doing the thing he does. I considered this a sort of dark comedy, but then, I just learned that it's based on a true story, which made me feel a bit uneasy for enjoying it so much.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

The most unrealistic thing about The Shrink Next Door was that in the final scene of the series Paul Rudd looked old, which we all know will never happen.

It would have really cut into the drama, but I would have sorta liked the meta joke that everyone gets older as the story progresses, except for his character.

gently caress this leech of a character and by that measure, also gently caress the real life person this is based on.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
What exactly is Dickinson? I like Hailee Steinfeld, so I wanted to give that show a chance. But it's really weird and I don't think it's for me. Honestly, real life Emily Dickinson has an intensely boring biography, so it feels weird that such a show exists in the first place. The woman barely left her room and never went outside her town.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Argue posted:

So it would be too obvious if the killer in Afterparty is the guy who just keeps asking everyone in every ep if they remember him, right?

Yeah, kinda.
I am looking forward to see what his perspective on reality is.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Obviously, it Aniq. He has clear motive and opportunity. Would be an interesting twist if it turns out it actually was just as the detective assumes.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, Zoe is straight up insane.

Also Xavier is such a stupid douche that I'm glad he's dead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

So much of it is a show full of the most basic, insipid metaphors, treated like they’re the first person ever to use the concept. There’s an episode about how women can feel like they’re put on shelves and treated like objects…..that’s about a woman who is literally put on a shelf. And then they don’t really go further with these concepts, they just point at them like “eh? eh???? do you get it???”, and it’s like, of course we do.

I’ll probably finish it because anthology, but so far the only episode I’ve really liked is the Alison Brie one….which is episode six of eight.

On twitter I compared it to that Star Trek script Kinsey wrote in Mad Men about a planet where the white people are the ones who are the slaves which I think is a pretty apt metaphor
I think you're missing the nuance there. The point is that this woman is sitting on a shelf, as if she was an object. Like she is owned by the man as one sort of trophy. Wouldn't it be really messed up if someone literally did this? And how would the woman feel in all of this. Since she is a human and not an object she would have actual thoughts about this. And maybe she wouldn't even like this kind of attention. It's actually pretty deep and poignant if you think about for a few hours. I wonder why nobody ever thought of such a concept before.

In all honesty, I've seen the first episode and it was straight up awful. It really feels like a show which has nothing to express. Is the first episode outstandingly bad? Otherwise I won't even try the other ones.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 16, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Lady Radia posted:

anyone see Dickinson? would you recommend it?

It's a really odd show. Honestly, real life Emily Dickinson had such an boring and secluded life that it's a bad choice to make a direct adaption of it. So instead they made it weirdly achromatic, where people seem to have mindsets and language of modern day, while still making the same choices as their historical counterparts. It gave me a bit of a whiplash. Like, these women are strong willed and don't respect the burden of the patriarchy, or the inherent biases of society, but when push comes to shove, they accept that it's proper for a woman to be the property of a man.

On the other hand Hailee Steinfeld is amazing, so I guess I'd recommend it.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 1, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Or it was scheduling conflicts, or he demanded a raise, or one of the producers stopped dating him.

No real point in speculating, I guess.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Man, it's really weird how Mythic Quest keeps oscillating from mild natured office comedy about wacky personalities, to genuine heartfelt gut-punches about broken people. Charlotte Nicdao is really good at playing Poppy.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Aparently, Burch directed that, which explains why Rachel was 't around this episode. Really cool. Basically all of the cast have some form of writing or directing credit. I wonder how much Charlie Day is actually involved.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I don't really like to know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Catching up with Hijack and I can’t get over how loving gigantic both the master negotiator and his ex wife’s houses are, and how much poo poo they’re both stuffed with.

Looking up random salaries for a professor in London gave me this website:

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/human-resources/pay-benefits/salary-scales/professorial-banding-structure-20232024

Assuming that the ex wife, who I think they mentioned was a distinguished professor, is in a position on this scale she might make let’s say 150k assuming she was very distinguished.

Actually I don’t know where I’m going with this. Those houses look far nicer than what someone taking home 150k gross can afford.

For all we know, they come from old money.
But the guy himself is a professional business negotiator who flies around the world and settles deals worth million or billions of dollars. That does sound like a high paying job. Plus, he might well be corrupt, since he mostly thinks about his personal advantage.

So yeah, I can see how that guy might have a posh house.