Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Even by TV+ standards it didn't seem to have any impact at all so it wouldn't surprise me if they did quietly pull the plug early and no-one noticed.

In other news I'm glad that the Mariah Carey christmas special looks like it's going to become an annual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I haven't watched Invasion but it's the first TV+ show that I've seen get almost universal hate instead of just indifference.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Calls is I think one of the big hidden gems on the service.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I've said this before but they really need to get over the "inspiring heartwarming story" kick, especially since it's not even doing what that poo poo is designed to do and win awards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I haven’t seen it yet but it’s on my list for when I’m caught up on Severance.

Also hyped that Tehran has its second season soon, the first ended super clunkily but there’s hopefully enough to build on.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Only Kindness posted:

Goes on too long, can't maintain the tension, wet fart of a thoroughly unsatisfying ending. Felt like I'd wasted my time, which is saying something for a TV thread. And as for Suspicion...

I watched the first episode yesterday and this sounds about right, one of the most boring first episodes I've seen in a while. The core conceit of a dude is kidnapped by 4 people in New York and therefore the suspects are 3 British people with no clear connection killed it right out the gate, it's just too huge a leap of logic right away.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Episode 2 of Slow Horses does a lot to establish that River is a loving moron and nowhere near as good a spy as he thinks he is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I got the trailer for Tehran season 2 before the Severance final episode and I’m laughing my rear end off that the Iranian intelligence guy that was literally shot dead at the end of season 1 is back. Like they realised oh gently caress we killed off the one interesting character we have once they had the second season commissioned.

Also ep 3 of Slow Horses was real good, it’s gonna be real fun now poo poo’s properly hit the fan for everyone involved.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Slow Horses still good now it's fully into the 3-way spy vs spy vs actual enemy phase of things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I hope it has as much fake drama in as Drive to Survive because surfers are not the kind of people I'd rely on to provide natural conflict to a film crew.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Ninurta posted:

The latest episode of Slow Horses was great, but they seriously need to invest in anti-wipes all around.

It’s great that they stuck to 6 episodes, the pace throughout the whole series has been really good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Slow Horses wrapping up the main season plot line then spending some extra episode time setting everything up for a ghosts of the past second season is masterful. Hopefully it comes reasonably soon since they've clearly already filmed it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I’m very glad to reveal that Tehran season 2 is starting as badly as season 1 ended. I love this god awful show.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'd actually take back the fun bad thing, I turned off episode 2 halfway because I was getting super bored. Season 1 they at least had a clear main plot thread to follow that made sense, season 2 the main plot comes out to be "we need to assassinate the head of the Iranian military" which is a big ask given how completely the supposed protagonists failed in season 1. Also the only likable character from season 1, who is also set up as the main direct villain, is now being much more cartoonishly nasty. Season 1 he was kinda sympathetically written as a man who had reasons for acting how he was, now he's just being an rear end in a top hat to the wife he spent all of last season trying to save because she's upset about him going back to work. The whole concept of a second season also kinda has to have a forced reason to exist given the entire run of the first episode is that the main end goal of the 2 protagonists getting out of Tehran is not only possible but actively right in front of them and they need to figure out a way of making them turn it down.

Basically it feels like they realised "oh poo poo the Mossad are meant to be the good guys" and have gone super far on making the Iranians cartoonishly evil, and the show's a lot less of a fun mess as a result because the protagonists are still black holes of charisma and the new Mossad field leader (hey kids it's Glenn Close!) isn't any more interesting. They really haven't done it any favours too scheduling it to start right after Slow Horses finished because it's a sharp downgrade in spy show quality from that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm honestly surprised it's taken this long to attempt what looks like a straight up Walking With Dinosaurs remake.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

If it’s lasting influence is kids start getting really into dinosaurs are cool again it’ll be worth it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I expect it'll be like the MLB stuff where there's a few weekly games as part of normal TV+.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hexel posted:

I'm unfamiliar with Asimov's work and never read the books. I would imagine much of the criticism comes from book purists who expected or hoped for a 1:1 adaptation?

I also liked Foundation and also never read the books, so it does seem like a big part of liking it comes from being able to approach it as it’s own thing. I do remember a lot of people who were into the books complaining that they “turned it into Star Wars” which came off as hilarious to me.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah Apple One is going up to £17 a month too, still worth it as an Apple Music user but I can see people dropping it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got a notification about Slow Horses season 2 starting, so I know what I’m doing tonight.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Watching Slow Horses S2 at last and I forgot how funny this show is.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm torn between loving retro future stuff and also hating the term "dramedy".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Slow Horses' cliffhanger game has gotten much stronger in season 2.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Gresh posted:

Does Apple TV do like zero advertising/marketing for their movies/shows until like a month or less before release?

They didn’t advertise Severance at all until the series was finished. I don’t think they expected it to be as big of a hit as it was.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

gently caress yeah we're finally getting to the Evil Nate factory.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Making the same show but worse is most of Bill Lawrence's career.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This is loving hilarious holy poo poo.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I'm probably not going to get to watch it until Tuesday but I'm super excited for it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I'm sick of the notification spam that's going now to try and push MLS because they signed another big money player. Got big flashbacks to David Beckham going over there in the twilight of his career.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its boring as gently caress.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Got a new phone so reupped to Apple One and used my sick day today to watch the second half of Slow Horses season 2 and that was a good time.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah like you see a show on an American streaming service and you just inherently don’t expect constant swearing and the level of raw grot and misery that being set in Britain brings.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't know that I'd describe a violent and sweary British spy series a "comfy ensemble".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Caught up on Slow Horses and I'm glad they finally finished the job and flatlined Spider. When y'all were talking about another death I was worried it would be someone sympathetic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Absolutely howlingly funny that Hoe's big dick modded car is a loving automatic WRX.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They’re filming them 2 seasons at a time, so this is the first season they’ve made after seeing what really worked in the first 2. Also there’s like 6 years between the first Slough House book and this one which also probably helps.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I think the point is more that British TV has usually gone with short (what Americans would call "miniseries") series' for dramas and sitcoms partially down to cost and partially because we don't really use the seasonal system American TV does. Which tends to work very well for streaming where you need to constantly have something new so a 6-8 episode series works very nicely.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also endless repeats because those episodes get rolled out every bank holiday. Same thing with Wallace and Gromit where it’s easy schedule filler on holidays except actually good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I enjoy River being described as “espionage nepo baby”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They said a lot about him being where he was because of his dad in the first season but I don’t think the term “nepo baby” had become popular yet.