Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Was Ted holding his coat open and angling the signal so it was pointing at the coat and not at any people? :)

I binge-watched the first season and a half last weekend so this is my first one on an episodic schedule, and I think it's going to be very weird. They do a lot of very small easily missed callbacks on this show...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
As someone who binged the first season in a little over a day, I feel like people might be forgetting how the first season felt 6 episodes in?

Like I get the characters have gone from imaginable alchoholic cokeheads with chlamydia (tbh I hope they lean back into this with Jamie Tart despite his newfound teamwork/diplomacy) to harmless sitcom characters who goof about when needed. But the first season wasn't exactly examining this poo poo, it just had a bit more conflict initially with Rebecca. Keeley was still pretty much her best friend constantly gassing her up just as positive as Ted, the SECOND she met Rebcca.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It's the immaculate cheeklines of his beard. It's too perfectly edged to be real.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso talk: I think this whole time I've earnestly believed Nate is a teen or early twenties, but I suddenly noticed some graying temples and realised the actor is 40 years old?

Not too sure how old the character is meant to be? Because his 'being a oval office' arc is a lot harder to forgive in a grown up.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso new ep:

- They dragged out the Sam/Rebecca reveal, but loved the unguarded compliments and Rebecca's reaction to just professionally shut that down. (And horror at "I groomed you!") Rooting for them but not sure how to feel ethically about them getting together!

- No ethical issues with Jamie punching his dad! Think it's good that Roy was the one who stepped up after. Reminds you of that thing another poster said about "he's not nice but he's kind". I also saw someone on Reddit draw a line between Phoebe's dad that Roy hated and recognising that in Jamie's dad.

- Film Crit Hulk predicted that Ted's father died in tragedy a while back. Think there was a throwaway line about him being dead in season 1, and a line in the darts scene about constantly being taken to bars growing up suggesting some darkness in that figure. Plus the obvious psychology behind the constant positivity.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Zero One posted:

Another great episode of Ted Lasso but I really cannot stand the Sam and Rebecca relationship.

Edit: Oh my God the description of next week's episode: After the semifinal, Beard sets out on an all-night odyssey through London in order to collect his thoughts.

I can't wait.
I fear this will be mostly non sequitur comedy nonsense but I desperately hope it's a full biographical deep dive on his character.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Some website says the actor turned 24 in April, so close enough! Surprised to see people are so against the Sam/Rebecca relationship. My only issue is the employer relationship there. Their chemistry was mostly offscreen on the Bantr app which is kinda bad, but I'd root for them.

Although I NEED to see Keeley's reaction to it!

I do think the oil company plotline was given way too easy and clean an answer and it's distractingly unrealistic. Taking a stand was enough. But I guess that scene was mainly just there to facilitate the dad vs "dad" comparison for Jamie.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I do think Keeley is underrated, almost another Ted in terms of whimsy and positivity. The way she gasses Rebecca up is so sweet and good. I'm also weirdly glad to see the Juno Temple get a stable, positive role.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That Ted Lasso episode was worse than the Christmas one. Oof. :smith:

I feel like Beard is even less of a character and I know even less about him than I did before. Literally the opposite of what I wanted.

Ninurta posted:

So, the Coach Beard episode dropped. Clearly, he suffered a concussion after falling over the barrier last episode and this was the result.
It was so dream-logic-y throughout, I kept expecting it all to be a hallucination or dream sequence. Or at least have a point.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
They had a man unconvincingly jump off a roof in the Ted Lasso show. So weird and bad.

I'm still so confused by what we were supposed to take from anything that happened. They have a character manifest a hallucination declaring he hates himself and might be suicidal ("Shut up, Thierry Henry!" was a fun runner though). And he's very upset that he didn't...protest a strategy harder?

Then they seem to treat reuniting with Jane after she texted 'I love you' as a celebratory moment that gets him back on track?

Despite her texts apparently reading:

quote:

Hey I do Love you, you know I said I love you I LOVE YOU
Oh, now you can't say it back cos I took too long?
gently caress you Beard.
I did what you asked.
I'm literally doing what you asked.
gently caress you Beard
You konw there's a lot of men after me tonight I turned down three guys already. Make that four.
A guy kissed me while I was writing that text
YOu're a real piece of work Beard
I'm never gonna speak to you again
You've got 10 seconds to call me
Times up.
Right. We're done. I
'm having the best night.
I realize how fun life is without you around me.
<picture>
You would have loved this place.
But you would'vev ruined it.
I don't even love you. It was a joke.
I thought you liked jokes.
Oh god my dress just fell off. How annoying!!!
Listen. You know that time you said you anted to meet my mum, and I said you couldn't meet her. I wasn't embarrassed about her. But you know what, I am embarrassed about you.
You're embarrassing
My mum's loving amazing.
I'm willing to consider you're not getting these texts because your battery died.
And if that's the case I'm truly sorry.
It's hard to discuss feelinfs
I know you always say I'm really reasonable but you don't know this about me... Sometimes I can be a bit emotional.
So maybe I'm lashing out. OK
Nothing?
Still...nothing?
For real??? This is too far.
Ok I literally couldn't fgive a gently caress what you're doing but don't yoy dare ever speak to me again.
Don't come crawling back to me. Ever. You're dead to me.
Literally dead, like, I hope you're lying face down in a ditch somewhere and a squirrel is eating you. A loving squirrel is eating you from the feet up until all that's left is your loving stupid beard and nothing else. I mean it.
Or oyu've been hit by a train.
poo poo. Beard? You HAVENT been hit by a train have you?
Baerd?
Just reply so I know you're not dead.
Cos I'd feel like poo poo If you were dead.
<picture>

I'm just confused (and bored).

Escobarbarian posted:

Loved the Beard episode but I’m a huge After Hours fan so it was always gonna get me
The...Cracked sketch show?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think disappointment from 1st to 2nd season makes sense with regards to narrative arcs, but I can trust that the writers are playing the long game with the show/characters and I'm enjoying the ride...

Except for these obvious 2 filler episodes which felt like a complete waste of time.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hannah Waddingham's slightly manic acceptance speech included a line that feels like it could've been from the show:

quote:

Juno Temple! *points to award* I swear to god if I could break off one of her arms and give it to you- because that's what you are to me. There's no Rebecca without Keeley! And if you ever leave my life, I'm gonna stalk you.

Love to see it.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 20, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Tedthoughts!
  • Dani Rojas having the same reaction to dress shoes as me was very cathartic. (Also Roy's views on death!)

• Trying to figure out if the whole team turning up for the funeral breaks the reality of the show? Or does it actually make sense?

• Ted talking about his father was a super compelling scene and I enjoyed the strange but fascinating weaving edit with Rebecca's scene.

• Curious if they're going to leave the characterisation of the suicide this vague, or go more in depth on it.

• HATE the sudden Keeley/Jamie love triangle thing.

• That goatee actually looks great on Rupert.

• Sassy telling Rupert how much she craves his death was her best moment in the entire show. "gently caress off and die, Rupert!"

• "AVENGE ME!"

Scott Forstall posted:

i'm impressed by 2x10 of Ted Lasso. The Rick Astley thing seemed odd at first, but also appropriately Ted Lasso, as it were.

Plenty of plot development, with more plot setup for future drama. 2 more to go for this season and 2x11 looks like possibly Sam's dad might make an appearance
Oh I thought that was the last episode, and was about to poo poo all over the season. That makes more sense with the two filler episodes that got added.

Really not sure what message was intended with the Never Gonna Give You Up bit. ...

DurosKlav posted:

I dont look forward to seeing what Nate turns into after whatever it was Rupert said to him. I really havent been enjoying them dragging out that plotline all season long.
Fascinated by that little mystery! I kind of hear you on the pacing of that plot though, they've been teasing it out for so long.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 24, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, there's been two episodes now where Keeley absolutely flips on him instead of just communicating her feelings, and both times ended with him apologising. It is a little weird for her characterisation.

pokeyman posted:

Could also explain Rupert's divestiture of their Richmond share, maybe there's some rule forbidding owning a stake in multiple teams?
Think I heard recently that this was a thing with someone who had stakes in two clubs that got in trouble, so this seems likely.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Lastly Sassy is the best, I could watch her relentlessly go after Rupert forever.
It's still so weird for me having seen Ellie Taylor go from modelling to standup on a reality show called Show Me The Funny a DECADE ago, to this.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I like the incredibly simple psychology of Ted saying "I wish I'd told him [he was good at the things he didn't care about being good at]" with his constant "I appreciate [x]" trait, including Doc confirming she will bill him for this mid-hug and "I appreciate your professionalism."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Re: Ted
I was Physically pained by the changing room scene and its inevitable conclusion. I just hate that trope.

Enjoyed the photoshoot scene honesty.

Not knowing what the letter said is kind of unsatisfying but I guess works as a sitcom beat that got us to the next thing.

The army man was entirely for the audience in a way that distracted me, and the Rebecca at the doorstep scene was literally pointless. Some odd beats in this one for sure.

What was the timeline on that final reveal? I remember a suspicious scene of Trent asking him about the food poisoning at the pub, but I thought that was before Ted told the coaching team the truth? Or are we to assume that this only just happened that very day?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

LionArcher posted:

A journalist isn’t going to tell their source to the person the article is about.
I'm actually super curious about the ethics of this. Did Nate provide information on the condition of anonymity? Did he just ask Trent not to print it? Was it like when that dumb rich guy sent an unprompted email to a journalist prefacing "off the record" and not realising the other party has to agree to that first?

I mean it's just sports but did seem odd.

Blowing your source to build a relationship with someone higher up is probably a shrewd move though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ted Lasso: the meanest show on television, where good-looking, confident, successful, tall white people learn it was a mistake to show compassion to sad, bullied, short, socially awkward ethnic minorities.

This might be an uncharitable reading of the text, I'll admit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I understand being disappointed by the latest season in contrast to the first, but some of this seems pretty hyperbolic. (Nothing is comparable to that last season of Game Of Thrones, not even Mass Effect 3 - and I hated the entire game, not just the ending)

Spacebump posted:

I like a weekly release schedule because it helps drive discussion. Having the entire season out at once hurts online discussion because you basically have to watch a whole season before you can discuss it anywhere or it might get spoiled. It also helps individual episodes stand out.

I can def understand disliking the weekly release schedule though.
I think weekly is better for a lot of shows, but I think Ted Lasso probably would work better as a bingeable dump of episodes. (Speaking as someone who got through season 1 in a weekend!)

Relentlessboredomm posted:

oh also we're all on the same page that the new billionaire is secretly evil as gently caress right?
I honestly can't tell if his evil with absurdly wasteful spending and literally still being a billionaire) is written intentionally, or if that's just American TV's love of disgusting wealth being a fun, exciting thing to put to film and we're not actually meant to read anything into it.

The helicopter shots felt like it was more languishing in glamorous spectacle than telling a story.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I really liked that final scene with Sam! Him getting a bit more of his old home in his new home reconciles pretty much everything the evil rich guy tried to tempt him with.

Was super confused about what we were supposed to take from the final Roy/Keeley scene though.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Actually curious about the abandonment angle for character psychology.

My reading was that Ted dug Nate out of the hole he was in, got him out of being bullied, got him a good position where he could use his skills, and was happy to let him go spread his wings at that point. Ted still valued him and their relationship as seen with the photo, but considered his coaching work done there and could focus on someone else.

And Nate mistook that for abandonment because he wanted constant approval/attention to make up for the lack of it from his father.

But I feel like something is missing there. I guess some of that clashes with the (and I hate to go down this road) entitled incel psychology they're also playing with where he seems angry at the world because as a little socially awkward chubby fella he's never going to have what the Roys and Keeleys have...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Tangential to Ted Lasso talk, but people all over were very excited to see Sam Richardson and I'm trying to figure out what the hype is I've missed? He was great in that final scene, and I vaguely remember him as the Little Buff Boys guy, but what's he done that has people so excited to see him?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I love that Ted Lasso is such a positive show that it's inoffensive to the worst people in the world.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/1453752691868438533
Seen people clowning on this all week and I literally never realised it was a Ted Lasso reference, I just thought it was about how much they both suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

I just started Ted Lasso and am half way through Season 2 and remembered the Holiday Episode was a big deal on the internet and then I was like oh this is fine and fun what's the big deal? and the complaint was that it was a filler episode and I am like, ok? Filler episodes can be fun and allow for other characters to get screen time?
For me, it didn't have enough jokes or entertainment to spend that time not advancing our understanding of the characters or their development. I just got nothing out of it and wish they hadn't bothered. (and I'll even forgive the absolute cheesiness of the ending)