Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Working my way through these slowly.

Dickinson is really good, y'all. Except the pilot sucks and the dad sucks any goodwill out of the show for the next epsiode too. But the third episode, the party one, is a good romp, and by about half way the entire endeavour has become oddly touching and sad. It's weird how it's aggressively leveraging death; it's doing a lot of stuff with nostalgia and ephemeral, chance encounters and brief moments of good, before the inevitable arrives. The low key comedy ends up helping in this regard, it's more a tragicomedy than a dramedy. Bitter sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

The Morning Show finale.

Wow.

Holy poo poo. Some of these performances as well. gently caress. Hopefully those will find some award acknowledgement.

Edit: This is irrelevant, as he wasn't even close to giving the best performance of the episode, but is this the best that Mark Duplass has ever been? Side bar: additionally, is this the most likeable he's ever been?

Edit's Edit: I wrote that before properly finishing the episode. Holy gently caress. So so funny, and just so so good. That entire final sequence. Easily catapulting this to my top ten of the year. Bates Motel's black humour lives on.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 20, 2019

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Is anyone keeping up with Servant?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Little America is loving awesome.

Seconding. It's a really good show.

God i loved the cookie lady

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I know it's basically pointless, but can posters who've read and want to discuss the books please please please make liberal use of spoiler bars?

Unspoiled discussion always happens and the thread just becomes pointless for anyone who's not read the books to spend time in.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I, uh, didn't like it. It was kinda a downer, and I couldn't connect historical CW with present day CW. I get that they're both obnoxious know it alls, but the present day one seems charming and gregarious, while the historical one read as a budding serial killer.

It's hard not to read his two friends, who I think we're supposed to read as essentially very honourable and likeable people, as kind of borish and closed off. It gave all the past scenes a frustrating ambivalence, which combined with the serial killer energy and the quieter, more stripped down energy made it just sort of confusing.

Not helped by the random magical realist touch of double casting the third tester as the publisher. (Partly for the grammar jokes and the fun of it, presumably.)

Sorry if this post comes across as overly technical, the episode left me really cold.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That episode was an unexpected delight. The way the previous episode left things off was such a downer, but it makes sense with this episode compensating and finishing off the plot arcs.

Also makes some of the acting choices last week make more sense - I imagine doing an episode like last week's allowed them to set up a quarantine bubble for this week's one to happen.

Oh and William Hurt was so loving excellent. An excellent performance from both him and Abraham.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Also probably the biggest ratio of cast who are also writers and/or directors on it.

Surely that's It's Always Sunny (three of five regulars, plus Cricket) or The X-Files (two of three, plus The Ciggy Man).

That said, I love it when shows turn actors into writers - Ben McKenzie on Gotham being the biggest wtf.

(Or Gillian Anderson on the X-Files, if you want to talk about times this went really bad.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying Physical, but wow did the ads not prepare me for how toxic Rose Byrne's monologue is. Or the way that both she and her husband seem to low key hate their child.

The prominence and cruelty of that inner monologue makes the aerobics scenes, where it fadea away and things are allowed to finally slow down, all the more effective IMO.

It's hard not to feel bad for her all the same, but this show is really not pulling its punches.

(Also is it just me, or do a lot of Apple shows take two or three episodes to fully explain their premise and status quo? Not complaining, they're not Netflix style pilot seasons, but they don't really do pilots either. )

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 24, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

One other thing that bugged me, and it's real minor and not even about the quality of the show but the second to last episode ends with the Willy Nelson version of The Rainbow Connection playing but it's timed to play over the credits and it cuts off right before the songs refrain! Just have it start like 5 seconds earlier and it would end perfectly as the verse ends! Why go through the trouble of getting a song and then go and cut the legs off by a few seconds when it could end perfectly otherwise? I know this is a very much me thing but I notice when this constantly happens in shows and it kills me every time!

Nah, I noticed it too and it bothered me.

They really wanted you to sit through those particular credits too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Heads up: this season (series?) is based on the prequels. Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Physical has Sera Gamble as a producer (The Magicians, You, Supernatural's most misanthropic seasons just after the creator left). This explains a lot, down to some of the casting. Still enjoying it. It's a drama that'd be too much to handle as an hour long, so it's only half as long. I appreciate that. It feels like a mean spririted GLOW, and there are other times it reminds me of Aquarius, another Sera Gamble joint which was a sort of 70's serial killer melodrama with a David Duchovny procedural gaffertaped on.

That fondue scene was gross.

Escobarbarian posted:

Has anyone checked out Lissey’s Story?

Me! I have!

I really enjoyed the first few episodes, and I thought the show's woozy editing and interweaving of plotlines really worked to tell this story of a woman who's slowly slipping into a kind of supernatural dementia. But now a) I'm not too sure that's happening, and b) it's got a bit slow. I do think Stephen King was the right person to adapt this material. He's good at bringing out the nuances in the script (or the director is, it looks very nice -- at times very, very nice).

It looks beautiful, and some of the acting is insanely good. I'm definitely watching it to the end. But it's a Mare Of Easttown -- good, but I'm not nourished by it and I'm not going to think about it too much five years down the track.

Edit: I've also found parts of this show insanely moving -- not the parts that I think the series was sold on (the relationship between Julianne Moore and Clive Owen) but the instead the relationship between the three sisters. Say what you will about overqualified acting, but Jennifer Jason Leigh is very good as the third, outsider sister. The bond between the three of them is very good, and papers over a lot of frustration with the earlier parts.

Michael Pitt gives one of those performances where you really wish he hadn't ended up being ousted from acting for a while. He's very unnerving, and gives one of those perfectly commited horror performances that skirts just the right side of camp (think Robin Weigert's strong WTF horror performance in American Horror Story Roanoke).

euugh. i've watched a lot of tv

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 4, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Schmigadoon premiered and it’s quite a lot of fun although could get old fast. Not sure how long the season is.

Only six eps. Not sure if it's a miniseries though.

Apple's been loving fire ngl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Apple’s original content has been some of the best on streaming this year. I just wish they’d fill out the service with rotating movies and old shows.

I’m still kind of shocked they didn’t outbid Netflix on Cobra Kai season 3.

They seem interested in making a wholly original library, with an aim of creating the kind of thing HBO was producing back in the 00s, except more modern (similar to how Amazon started out).

I don't mind the lack of back catalogue if their overall standard is this high though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've found it easier to deal with the further I got into the show, but those first few episodes were very intense -- more intense than I thought they would be, even given the warning.

Good show though. Rose Byrne is amazing, and I love the blonde gym couple. They're very charming.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
See has some great fight scenes. Ted Lasso and Mythic Quest are great comedies, and Servant is good too.

I'd also recommend Dickinson and Physical. Little America from last year was good too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I like everything about Schmigadoon except for the bit where they forgot to write funny jokes. There are a lot of jokes, and there are a lot of talented people delivering them, but the joke to laugh ratio is very very low.

Hakkesshu posted:

Did no one watch Lisey’s Story? I don’t think I’ve seen a single person online talk about it

I liked it for the performances and the direction, but the later episodes were way too straight forward. I didn't regret watching it though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like Schmigadoon, but I hope it’s a single series and wraps up though. And that Apple does more one off runs and miniseries in general.

Jane Krakowski hasn’t shown up yet, right? Or have I been blind?

It's a miniseries, yeah. And no, I haven't seen Krakowski either.

isaboo posted:

Dave is so good

Yeah, it's an excellent F/X show. :P

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zero One posted:

I thought Apple was trying to keep their shows more family friendly.

I dunno how this rumour started -- I've heard it too before the platform launched -- but I don't think this has ever actually been based in fact.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

It came from a Wall Street Journal story in 2018, which was (according to the WSJ) based on people working on Apple+ shows.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/no-sex-please-were-apple-iphone-giant-seeks-tv-success-on-its-own-terms-1537588880

The article is paywalled, but here's the Deadline summary:

Huh, thanks. Makes a lot of sense -- I remember hearing about the Curaron show that Apple dropped.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't wait for See season 2. That show might not be very intelligent, but it looks fantastic and it is just badass. Like, badass is the way I would describe it. The fight against the kidnappers in episode 3 is just incredible, everyone in the show looks cool and Jason Momoa just does awesome stuff constantly and consistently. The violence is rad as hell and also just incredibly badass.

Jonathan Tropper (Warrior, Banshee) took over the show this year, so it's gonna own.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Scott Forstall posted:

https://twitter.com/brendanhunting/status/1423532510143602690?s=20

I rewatched episodes 1-3 back to back this morning and this seems right. There’s a momentum lost in the week gap between 1-2 and 2-3. Back to back to back is a much better story.

Yeah, I was going to say that the third episode was the first one I was really feeling this season. The others were fine, but the show felt like it hadn't really gone much of anywhere.

This gives me renewed confidence in the show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SpiderLink posted:

I think this show has been good about not letting threads drop. I think that the character you mentioned is going to be under a lot of pressure this season and potentially break down, and that will be a contributing factor.

I think it's strange for the episode to end on a note that the following episode doesn't pick up on though, particularly when it's structured as as surprise reversal / cliffhanger.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

OldSenileGuy posted:

I posted elsewhere that this episode was totally weird to drop in the middle of the season and in August, and it probably would have been better to hold it back and release it in December as “A Ted Lasso Christmas Special.”

I was thinking about that more and the only reason I can come up with for why they didn’t do that would be if something happens between the characters in the rest of the season that makes this episode not work out of sequence. Sam gets fired, Roy and Keely break up, something like that.

…..but I hope not :ohdear:

Maybe Covid messed up the release schedule? Like, Ted Lasso might have originally been scheduled for the end of the year, with this episode airing over Christmas, but it was brought forward for some reason?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The season's also experienced a bit of executive fuckery -- the Christmas episode was one of two episodes added to the season as a late addition, and the first three episodes were originally meant to air together.

I wouldn't judge it for another episode or two, in that light.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I think you're right. Without running the numbers, my assumption was they're having a mediocre but not yet disastrous season.

Thought you were talking about the show there for a second LOL.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I still think this season has been, structurally, poorly put together. It's not clear what plots are going to be ongoing issues, and what plots are going to be handled off-screen between episodes. While most scenes in the show are pointed and didactic, others scenes lend themselves to ambiguous reads (e.g. Higgins' ongoing work strife, Nathan's arc about workplace toxicity, this episode's moral about intervention). It's confusing, and I find it hard to track character's emotional states, and the narrative through lines about those states.

I think the other difficult thing is that this show has become a story about some quite toxic people, and the show's schmaltzy, enthusiastic tone makes this characterisation tough to swallow -- particularly given this season's lack of villainous figures, who last season could at least be reasonably relied upon to provide some pointed criticism. The therapist is the only part of this show I've been looking forward to, since she promises to do just that, but at this point we're six weeks in and the story still feels pretty distant and unenjoyable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Enjoying Mr. Corman, though I'm a few episodes behind. The second episode's take on panic attacks was both genuinely nerve wriggling in its depiction of anxiety, while also having a sense of humour about the entire thing -- which strikes me as being pretty true to the whole thing.

Really happy to see Bruce Eric Kaplan (Girls, Seinfeld, Six Feet Under) getting work, he's a wonderful tragicomic writer.

The show is very nicely shot and lit too. And it's nice to see Terry Gilliam's visual sensibility still turning up on screen (in the collages here, and in The Good Fight's fifth season finale).

Trig Discipline posted:

Just saw this trailer and I am entirely here for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWq7a8Tin8g

gently caress yeah Todd Haynes.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 2, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah it's pretty bad, albeit believable. The cast was atrociously bad to him at the start of first season, doesn't make it any more sympathetic though.

I think it does, given his clear history of parental abuse, and, tbh, he doesn't seem that bright. It seems like he literally doesn't understand how to interact with the world in any other way, the powerful pick on the powerless, and he's just replicating this now he's got even a little bit of power.

He's absolutely in the wrong, I'm not gonna pretend otherwise, but when most people in his life are like his father, Jamie, the old coach, Rebecca Season 1 , her ex husband, or even Roy, you get a pretty good sense of where this toxicity stems from.

He needs therapy, support and time, but it's pretty clear both why people wouldn't give it to him and why he thinks he doesn't need it.

Edit: I've now seen the episode, and yeah, that was pretty ugly.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Sep 3, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given the way this season is playing out, I'm guessing we'll see either Will or Nate attempt some form of self harm.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, that was a good episode.

Also just watching Nate learning the wrong lessons from all his interactions is a bit worrying and sad. The irony of Roy worrying about his interactions with his niece but not seeing it with Nate, for instance, or the bit in the locker room at the end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

pokeyman posted:

I was thinking of antagonist as a rival to the protagonist, which isn't really Rebecca.

She's an antagonist. She attempts to humiliate the lead character, and also sets out to humiliate, undermine or straight up unemploy the rest of the cast. She has a minion who spends most of the season terrified of her! She's the villain.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

smackfu posted:

Love that the Apple TV+ execs meddle in their shows just like old broadcast execs. I thought that time was past.

Lol what made you think that? All these shows are constantly meddled with.

But, like, let's be honest, the people behind this show could have done whatever they wanted with the two extra episodes. They chose not to integrate them into the season.

They could have pushed them both to Christmas and made an X-mas two parter if they wanted. Or they could have extended their plot, found different ways to break the season, etc. etc.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Shows can be exceptional, novel, interesting or just really competent. Ted Lasso had novelty going for it by being a anti-soap opera that flipped tropes of the genre at its head.

"Anti-soap opera"? I don't really understand what you mean by that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It was always a sitcom hth

Yeah it was always a sitcom cum soap.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Mr Corman is really good. Glad someone else is watching it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The iPhone rule seems to not be hard and fast -- certainly on their own shows, e.g. Servant -- but villains on Legends of Tomorrow, etc. have totally used Apple products before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

drat, Mr. Corman got cancelled :(

Yeah, feels like they were just waiting for it to end so they could announce the news and move on. Very sad.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Robobot posted:

4. A group of people singing an internet meme at a funeral

5. An eccentric billionaire landing helicopters on the field

I mean, I've seen both of these things happen IRL. The Rick Astley thing is bizarrely common, though when you think about the song and the air time it's received the last few years it's probably unsurprising.

The show was never really in the real world though, and I wonder if some goons are having difficulty reconciling the show in their heads -- grounded, light character drama about positivity, sharing and kindness -- with the show as is -- a show about very rich people getting into mostly simple emotional engagements, in a show that's about positivity, sharing, kindness, and other things.

The show wasn't ever particularly grounded, tbh. The elevator pitch reads like a sports team anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so this is Ted Lasso:

This is an honest to god sports team anime (game but details):

Yup, completely the same emotional wavelength. Uh huh.

Even if we ignore shounen and look at something more somber like Giant Killing that is still a story fundamentally about football, coaching story/sitcom/soap opera framed by football

Yeah, I'd never watch that, but I was thinking something more along the lines of Boys Over Flowers, what little I've seen of Kuroko's Basket, or the more grounded parts of Ping Pong. Not shonen battleaxe giant water butt battlers on Mars: the butts are over 9000.

I don't think the action elements need to be as central to the narrative as all that to count as a sports drama, but I gey the sense that you're very much missing the sport.