Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Morning Show is getting almost kind of good, if anybody cares. Jen Aniston is, possibly for the first time in her life, acting the poo poo out of her role, and Billy Crudup is magnetic as her opaquely conniving network head. Poor Reese Witherspoon's in a terrible wig, the writing is all over the place, the music and camera cues feel like the director beating you over the head with Profound Meaning that hasn't actually been earned, and they seem to be trying to pander to a different possibly-nonexistent niche audience with each episode. But seriously, watch a scene between Aniston and Carell, and one between Aniston and Crudup. Incredible chemistry. Career highs for all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Walrus posted:

you must have missed The Good Girl (a lot of people did)

I saw it actually! I didn't think her performance was good. The accent was embarrassing. It was a long time ago though, maybe I should revisit it.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronash posted:

I really like that they're dropping shows weekly. My wife and I are watching The Morning Show, and we're actually discussing television again. We haven't done that in years, and I mostly fault the switch to binge-watching. Even when we would only get 1 or 2 episodes in a night, it still just felt asinine to discuss where we think the next episode will go when it's already available.

And for me personally, the same thing happened as far as posting in TVIV. A show would drop and within 2 days the discussion was about the season as a whole, and a week later everyone has said everything they wanted to about it.

How are you guys liking The Morning Show so far?

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waltzing Along posted:

It's great. Obviously influenced by Studio 60 but not nearly as feel good. Reese and Crudup are destroying. Reese in particular. I keep having to remind myself that it is really her. It is very #metoo focused and has done a very good job of showing different sides to the topic.

Aniston will always be Rachel but she is clearly trying so that is good.

I like that I don't really know where Crudup's character is going.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The latest Morning Show ep was atrocious. It was like they never wrote a second draft of the script. All these drawn-out, really far too long emotional scenes where characters are just flatly saying "When you do X it makes me feel Y." It felt exactly like those acting class exercises where actors are supposed to improvise dialogue illustrating the subtext of their scene.

It's fascinating how this show is making so many of the exact same mistakes Smash did. In the first season, I don't know a character well enough to care if they're getting divorced.