Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The time jumps in For All Man Kind were kind of wild. That time jump/set up for season 2 is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

For All Mankind season 2 felt a lot slower than season 1. The last three episodes were incredible and made the season worth watching. I can’t believe I waited this long to watch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Apple’s original content has been some of the best on streaming this year. I just wish they’d fill out the service with rotating movies and old shows.

I’m still kind of shocked they didn’t outbid Netflix on Cobra Kai season 3.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 16, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Trig Discipline posted:

Meanwhile the Russians just used a pencil.

Wait I think I may have gotten my stories mixed up.

The Russian pencil thing was actually bad for the Russians. The graphite was super fine, could break into tiny pieces, float away, and cause important systems to malfunction. The Americans spent the amount of money they did on the pen for a smart reason.

It has become a big joke over time only because people don't understand why they did it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if anyone used graphite pencils. Russia and America used grease pencils. Then the Fischer pen company created a pen that could write in zero g and sold it to both NASA and the Russian space agency.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I'm glad to know the actual story finally. You caused me to look it up.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fac...s-idUSL1N2MQ1RR

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

Amazing episode, and yes - Roy is done playing. At that age, you don't come back from an injury like that in the Premier League. Keeley made Jamie go down on her in an s01 ep, the gala one I think? This aint a family show!

Agree with everything you said but just pointing out they aren’t in the premier league this season. They were relegated last season. It’d still be a ridiculous comeback but it is tv. I feel like it is obvious that Doc is going to help Jamie not be a prick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

External Organs posted:

Just finished the last episode of For All Mankind season 2. Jesus gently caress.

Congrats, that's an awesome season to finish.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ted Lasso talk

I thought for sure they were going to end this season with the team promoted back into the Premier League. Doesn't seem that likely after the most recent episode mentioned the team is again in danger of relegation. The Ted/Rebecca talking to each other on the dating app has the most obvious coming plot point all season.

prom candy posted:

Finished episode 3 of season 2 of Ted Lasso last night and I think I'm done. Season 1 had a nice contrast of Ted being super nice while nearly everyone else was an rear end in a top hat. Now it's just a show where everyone is super nice to each other all the time and there's swelling emotional music in every other scene? Something is really missing in this season. What happened?

This season does feel off. I haven't watched season 1 in a while but it felt more focused and there were stakes. Now the team may be relegated again and so far that has only been mentioned in the background.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Robobot posted:

I think this is a very Ted Lasso thing to say:

Now we just have to figure out what LDN152 means and we can beat the game! pat ourselves on the back as if it wasn't foreshadowing!

London 152? Anyone know a character's address?

Alternatively, Lasso Divorcee ____. No idea on the numbers.
Lasso Dating Now?

seaborgium posted:

I think that's the point of it, it's as anonymous as they can make it with assigned random usernames and no pictures. Like someone said, it could just be the 152nd person in London to start using it as it's relatively new or it's just random numbers and letters.

The usernames aren't random. Look at the other username in the screenshot. "Bossgirl"

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Aug 21, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pzy posted:

Apparently in You've Got Mail, Meg Ryan's username was "shopgirl" and Tom Hanks' was "NY152"

I like the idea it's Beard

At the very least I think you've solved where the username came from.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Zero One posted:

I rewatched S1 ahead of this season and I don't think there were many high stakes.

The stakes were getting relegated out of the Premier League. This episode they casually mention the team could get relegated out of the Championship and it doesn't seem to bother anyone the same despite this being worse. It is already hard enough for them to justify their current roster in the league they are in but if they fell into an even lower league keeping most of the roster or any coaches wouldn't make sense. I'm sure the back half of the season will deal with this, it just feels odd atm.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 22, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Swan Lake Algae Problem posted:

Maybe I misheard, but I thought conversation in the episode was about how the team is doing now, post relegation, not saying they were in danger of it happening again?

One of the guys on the sports show specifically mentions the team looking too loose or happy for being on the business end of the relegation zone. I wonder how much time passed between the most recent episode and the Christmas one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Robobot posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong. I still think the show is way better than most other shows, I just don't think they caught that season 1 magic in a bottle with this one and I can't figure out what the difference is.

I think part of it was season 1 hit people at a time when everyone needed a little more positivity in their lives. We had no expectations for season 1 but have them for 2. I'm enjoying season 2 overall, it just isn't as tight as season 1. A lot of episodes have ended with what felt like cliffhangers that basically weren't touched the next season. It also feels like characters are interacting with less characters this season but I could be imagining that. Jamie has felt almost non existent this season, if he is in an episode it feels like it is to deliver 5 lines at most then disappear. I'd give season 1 an A+ and season 2 (so far) an A- or B+. Still one of my favorite shows on tv/streaming.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

New Ted Lasso episode

The game/result was hilarious. After all the build up, I thought they were going to give them another huge win. The last minute confessions of the coaching staff was hilarious, esp Beard's.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I am also a big fan of the Beard episode. I especially loved the bit when he gets to the club and starts dancing because it gave me huge deja vu to times I didn't have my phone/got separated from groups while out. Then I realized how much I miss going out :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://tvline.com/2021/09/17/ted-l...Rm31ShovCbCNZ1s

"TVLINE | This episode is quite unique in a number of ways. First, talk a bit about how the idea to follow Beard on this bizarro night out came to be.
When we were putting the season together, it was originally going to be 10 episodes. And when you start the season writing process, you just pitch a bunch of different ideas. In the end, you probably have 20 ideas that you like. You whittle that down to what are the most important, and this was not in the final 10. We were starting to write the scripts as Season 1 was being released, and Apple was so enthusiastic. They said, “First of all, you’re picked up for Season 2. And second, could you do two more episodes in Season 2?” So we went back to the discard pile and everybody picked their favorites. In the end, Jason Sudeikis had the final say and he said, “All right. We’re going to do a Christmas episode, and we’re going to do ‘Beard After Hours...
In the beginning, we didn’t even know for sure if the episode was going to be all Beard or if we were going to jump into other storylines. At one point, there was a pitch — it didn’t get very far — where Beard finds himself at a falafel stand or something, and Sam is there. He’s nervous and you don’t know why. And then Sam’s falafel order comes up and it’s two falafels, and I’m like, “Two falafels?” And he answers, “Yeah, no reason. Got to go.” And then he jumps into Rebecca’s car and off they go. But in the end, we decided to make it organic to what would Beard actually be doing: He would go to the bar. If adventures were going to happen, it had to start from there and with these people. Once we locked into that, it was so much fun. Mae’s greatness speaks for itself, as does Annette Badland’s storied career. But the other three guys had not gotten much chance to show their stuff, and they’re incredible. And they love working together and hanging out with each other."

I knew about this because the thread, but reading it in an interview is still crazy.

edit:
spoiled the text from the interview. It is mostly talking about this episode and the Christmas episode were not originally part of the season but I spoiled it so nobody gets anything spoiled from this week that hasn't seen the episode.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 17, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

pokeyman posted:

Bill Lawrence said something like "Jason Sudeikis is only in for three seasons" for travel reasons, and so that's what they have sketched out. I'm sure they can find a way to extend that though, like have Roy go to America, or back up the money truck.

Also I think this season is great. I'm getting frustrated by the meandering episodes when I'm looking forward all week to some new Ted Lasso and they're not what I want. Other than the two of those, it's on season one's level for sure. And if you enjoyed those, even better!

I wish it could go more than three so we could somehow end up with Ted coaching in the Champions League.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LionArcher posted:

Nah. I’ll explain it better, going into the fast food metaphor.

There’s levels of burgers.

1)Fast food cheap
2)Fast food expensive (in and out, five guys, shack shack)
3)Independent Portland style fast food
4)Fancy restaurant/a good home cooked burger.

The average marvel show and movies is at 2)fast food expensive. Fun to eat, everybody loves talking about it, still can leave your stomach upset later, pretty greesy.

Ted lasso first season was brilliant. A surprise, a fresh concept that didn’t feel gimmicky, a focus on a complex main character that rippled out and effected other characters who we wanted to know more about grew as the show went on. At worst it was level 4 of the burger.

Season 2 is a straight up level 3). As in, it’s a fancy burger joint that tastes pretty drat good, they probably have an amazing milk shake, but it’s still greasy and makes you not feel awesome afterwards.

Characters that felt compelling and deep in season one have gotten a lot more focus and yet they’ve become caricatures of the character. Roy Kent was great for a lot of reasons in the first season. Roy season two has become a fantasy boyfriend for Twitter folks, and is was written accordingly.

Beard being in an unhealthy relationship in his 40’s who’s unstable but exciting isn’t a bad thing by itself. But framing it the way they did lacks a level of self awareness the writers have generally shown to have.

Same goes for framing the relationship with Sam as anything as hosed up because of obvious reasons of power dynamics.

The two characters who they’ve stayed true to this season have been Jamie and the assistant coach. Both feel written to the same level as season 1.

So yes, it’s better than the in and out burgers that are the marvel shows, but it’s not a home cooked burger, and it isn’t what it was season 1.

Why are non chain burger places called Portland style?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Total Meatlove posted:

Roy Kent is written as a mix between Roy Keane on the pitch and Peter Crouch off it. Which is why his playing style is described as a dying breed of midfield hard-men but he’s intelligent and says funny things.

I wish that meant we’d get Roy doing the Robot at an extremely opportune moment.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Keely behaved so inappropriately at the funeral. There is no right or wrong way to grieve but she wasn’t grieving and in some instances treated it more like a party or event. A great example is her reaction to seeing Sassy show up.

Roy was also a huge dick to her when he mocked her from the previous conversation.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Adding Katie Aselton to the cast of the Morning Show and having her character be with Mark Duplass is giving me flashbacks to the League.

I didn’t realize they were married irl until after I watched the first episode of season 2.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

New episode of Ted Lasso might be my favorite of the season. Excited for the finale.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I like a weekly release schedule because it helps drive discussion. Having the entire season out at once hurts online discussion because you basically have to watch a whole season before you can discuss it anywhere or it might get spoiled. It also helps individual episodes stand out.

I can def understand disliking the weekly release schedule though.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

Why is Steve Carell still on The Morning Show

I'm guessing so they can do a plot involving Italy at the start of the pandemic and have him trapped there

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Glad there will be more sports scenes next season, that tweet feels like it gives away a season plot point for this season but I'm sure we are all assuming it is going to happen anyway.
Assuming they make it back to the Premier League at the end of the season 2

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I feel like that announcement about EPL stuff (next season speculation in spoilers) not only spoiled this season since we knew they'd get promoted but it also clearly spoiled next season. Why else would they make a big deal about getting the rights to use the trophy. They are going to win the EPL next season. I bet they will make it come down to the last game...vs West Ham.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not sure what was so immature about his reaction. His first reaction is to no-sell his disappointment in not being in the pictures in order to keep Keeley from feeling bad about her magazine article. Then he confides in his co-workers that he felt bad about it and that it hurt his feeling. That seems pretty mature to be able to admit that in front of other people.

Especially for a fading celebrity used to being A-List.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

njsykora posted:

I think it just fell through the cracks, it happens to a lot of stuff especially on a relatively small service like TV+. Like I've never seen anyone say anything about most of the TV+ series' outside the really big ones. Acapulco started and I've seen nothing about that, no-one talks about Truth Be Told and Schmigamagoon was basically forgotten after the first episode.

I did enjoy that trailer for The Afterparty that was before Lasso this week though, even though it doesn't seem to be on TV+ and has no release date and jesus christ why is it so hard to just give the app a single library section to show everything.

Agree with all your points. This is the only place online I check for discussion on any Apple shows. If something isn’t mentioned here or is disliked by the few posters here, I’m much less likely to check it out.

I do plan on watching Acapulco but just haven’t had time yet.

Solkanar512 posted:

We're talking about the Morning Show here as well, right?

It's really kind of insane to me just how out of touch the characters are with the COVID-19 news. That poo poo had been reported on for months in the US at that point and their own reporter/presenter was stuck in Beijing for two weeks yet no one on the show or even the head of news at the network seems to give a gently caress. Really shows both how stuck in their own bullshit they are and a bias favoring anything east coast/NYC.

They aren’t at the point where people in America cared much yet, they haven’t even gotten to people singing from balconies in Italy yet. I think the Morning Show is nailing the early pandemic vibe, I’m excited to see the rest of this season. Alex moderating a debate with Trump in it could be interesting.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 10, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Enjoying Acapulco so far. Love the setting.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Taear posted:

Holy poo poo For All Mankind is amazing and goes from strength to strength.
I'm really sad it's on a service that nobody (at least here in the UK) has, or often has even heard of! It feels loving WASTED there.

That show on a bigger streaming service would have done so much better. Loved both seasons and look forward to future ones.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paddyo posted:

I thought so too until they turned Karen into a sociopath in season 2.

The last few episodes of season 2 were easily my favorite television episodes of the year. The big plots at the end got so crazy.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Is it just me, or is The Morning Show just cargo cult prestige tv? By that I mean everything that you have to spend money on (talent, lighting, sets, etc) is there, but the writing is uneven as hell, character arcs go all over the place or just vanish, important moments are incredibly heavy-handed, the opening is meandering and pretentious as gently caress and so on.

Maybe it's just me.

I haven't seen the newest episode yet but the last few did feel like they were getting a bit more uneven. Loved how the season started though.

This show might not be great but it is far from bad. I watch too many bad CW shows to label this worse than average atm.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Watched saw the new Morning Show last night.

With the big ending, I'm confused what the point of the Italy plot is unless it leads to Alex getting and spreading covid. If that doesn't happen, what a waste of time the Italy plot was.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

You were able to just start the next episode, people at the time had to wait another week for the continuation of the plot.

Not that most of the cliffhangers mattered in the season anyway. Of course, we didn't know that at the time.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The streaming service reoccurring sub plot in Morning Show season 2 feels like someone in the writers room pointed out there are too many streaming services without enough content. Then someone else must have agreed and suggested they use that but never developed the idea more than the average person complaining about streaming services.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Now that I'm watching shows that have already aired instead of just the newest episode as it comes out, I'm realizing that apple tv sucks too. It doesn't seem to track that I've seen any episodes so I have to keep track in my head for every show I've watched.

What device are you watching on? I know it tracks on fire sticks and Apple TVs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I enjoyed the back half of that episode more than the front.

Overall, I'd rank it as 5th best episode of Extrapolations so far. The string of episodes from #2 to 5 were just great. More people should watch this show.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

The new extrapolations was great. Guess the geoengineering from a few episodes ago only made things worse. I hope this show has a bleak ending. More people need to be upset about global warming.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 15, 2023

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Kloaked00 posted:

Enjoyed this season of Schmigadoon. Also appreciated the RHPS reference in the last episode. I wonder if they did a third season what musical genre would they go to next, rock ballads?

Whatever was most popular with 80s/90s musicals I'd guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wish the Big Door Prize was a mini series.