Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Lastdancer posted:

"Did somebody say corn puddin'?!"

Watched the first few eps of this last night and got some good laughs out of it. Came for KMK and Cecily Strong but then found out there's Fred Armisen, Jane Krakowski, Alan Cumming and even Martin Short which was a nice surprise.

Well now I've got the corn pudding song stuck in my head. It's quite a charming show and has just a whack of talent behind it. I like musicals so this and Galavant were basically tailor made for me.

You put the corn in the pudding and the pudding in the bowl and the bowl in your belly cause it's good for the soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The Bells and Whistles number was amazing, Krakowski is a Tony winner and it shows. The hippie subplot is Hair/Sweet Charity/Grease/Jesus Christ Superstar as far as I can tell.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I do think the second season is really heavy on pastiche, though, and I don’t know if I prefer that from the more original songs from season one.

Like, here’s Bells and Whistles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wece6G6oIjc

And it’s a great performance but all the beats are pretty recognizable. You got a little Chicago, a little Chorus Line, a little Company. It’s good, sure, but then you have Kaputt from the first or second episode, and it’s … good but it’s also Cabaret with different words.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Watched some of The Big Door Prize and whoever said it had Lodge 49 (rip) vibes was spot on.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
OK, I like the direction Schmigadoon is going, I don't know if it's my own love for this number but A Little Priest, mixed with Annie and the clear Sweet Charity mix in Topher's song makes more sense, it's not just pastiche but it's mixing musicals/main characters for plot reasons, it does make sense,I was wrong.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Season 3 could easily be set in an opera house of immense size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBi96MtEXqg

Season 2 was good, but honestly it didn't have the heart of season 1. I enjoyed it, and it was technically very good in some places but it didn't wow me. Also my girl Peppermint wasn't in it.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I kind of agree, in that I didn't think S2 was really necessary, but at the same time I want to see Starlight Express (the most dangerous musical before Spiderman Turn On the Dark) mashed up with Newsies.

fake edit:

Jane Krakowski was famously in Starlight Express as the female character in the above image, I think a dining car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDd3uhvQVHo

angerbot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I hope we finally get a dream ballet :peanut: