Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some of the For All Mankind episodes would definitely have benefited from being a lot shorter than an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It did all drop at once, Apple’s strategy is a bit all over the place.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We are a bit behind and the last episode we saw was with Brad’s brother and I didn’t like that one at all.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

quote:

Carpool Karaoke: Outstanding Short Form Comedy, Drama Or Variety Series

Really???

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They’ve been putting See promos in front of Ted Lasso, which is probably their most valuable space right now. Likely switch over to The Morning Show after See premiers.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I assume the motion capture stuff in Mythic Quest isn’t super realistic but it looks good on screen unlike most other game dev stuff.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Fill-et steak. Pie-ella.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Love that the Apple TV+ execs meddle in their shows just like old broadcast execs. I thought that time was past.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe someone can do a super cut of the cool parts of Invasion.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Looking through upcoming Apple+ shows and I don’t know who reads these descriptions and thinks they want to watch this.

quote:

Ptolemy Grey is an ailing man forgotten by his family, by his friends, and by even himself. Suddenly left without his trusted caretaker and on the brink of sinking even deeper into a lonely dementia, Ptolemy is assigned to the care of orphaned teenager Robyn (Fishback). When they learn about a treatment that can restore Ptolemy’s dementia-addled memories, it begins a journey toward shocking truths about the past, present and future.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think Afterparty would have worked better as a binge. Maybe I just have a lovely memory now but I just have a hard time keeping track of the changing versions of the reunion, especially with the flashback episode thrown in between.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I got a promo for the new baseball thing and it had PST times and I’m in EST and that’s so Apple.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The people who did Drive to Survive are doing a surfing one for Apple TV+:

https://twitter.com/BoxToBoxFilms/status/1516088014610518022

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Feels like “this time they are letting women compete” is setting up some nice manufactured drama.

And the shark attack.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Did anyone actually watch that surfer documentary? Haven’t gotten around to it but haven’t heard any chatter.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Guess it’s an add on, although some games are included with Apple TV+:

quote:

From early 2023 through 2032, fans can get every live MLS match by subscribing to a new MLS streaming service, available exclusively through the Apple TV app

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/06/apple-and-mls-to-present-all-mls-matches-for-10-years-beginning-in-2023/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, I’m right on the fence on the bundle since I don’t use News+ or Games at all and I could give or take Fitness+.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple+ is weird sometimes. Apparently they have Clerks and Hudsucker Proxy for free as “workplace comedy essentials” to go with Mythic Quest S3.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even the Apple Press Release gives no clue on what it is about :
https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2022/12/apple-tv-to-expand-the-world-of-hit-comedy-mythic-quest-with-new-series-mere-mortals/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple TV+ certainly has a niche, like I would 100% pick this out as one of their shows, which is somehow on its third season.

quote:

Descend into the world of true-crime podcasts. This NAACP Image Award–winning drama stars Octavia Spencer as a podcaster who risks everything—including her life—to pursue truth and justice.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m rereading Silo after a long time and I have spoilery casting thoughts. Two of the “name” actors Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo are playing the sheriff and his wife… aren’t they only in the very first part of the book? Wonder if they are changing the story around.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Tetris movie good and wife approved.

Also “fun fact” that the sister/daughter of the bad English guys is Ghislaine Maxwell.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hughlander posted:

The book title is Wool, but according to amazon it's full title is 'Wool: The Silo Saga Book 1' https://www.amazon.com/Wool-Silo-Saga-Book-1/dp/B0BKR8VBYV/

Also the omnibus edition they just released is called Silo Series.

I think it makes sense to name a TV series after the book series rather than the first book though?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I watched the trailer for this Beanie Baby movie they have coming up and it doesn’t seem to have actual beanie babies in it so I wonder if they didn’t get the rights? But the character is the real guy so I dunno?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Man, Apple sure is pushing Messi and MLS excessively. The main slot on the Movies tab is pushing MLS!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Morning Show has a third season coming out soon. Weird that they are on an every other year schedule, but I guess the cast is busy?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

njsykora posted:

Got a new phone so reupped to Apple One and used my sick day today to watch the second half of Slow Horses season 2 and that was a good time.

We just started watching it and I didn’t realize it was such a prototypical UK spy series. Just something you’d expect to see on the BBC or Channel 4. Would have checked it out way earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

njsykora posted:

I think the point is more that British TV has usually gone with short (what Americans would call "miniseries") series' for dramas and sitcoms partially down to cost and partially because we don't really use the seasonal system American TV does. Which tends to work very well for streaming where you need to constantly have something new so a 6-8 episode series works very nicely.

Another factor is that a lot of the UK shows are written entirely by the creator so even 5-6 episodes is a lot of work. But often better since it’s a common voice. Once you get more than that you need a writer room and such.