Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't know how many of these shows are gonna get much individual traffic yet so for now here's a thread for all Apple TV+ shows. I guess use spoiler tags and tell which show/episode you're talking about, jerks!!!!!

So!!!! Apple TV+ is the compooter and iPhone folk attempting to get into the streaming game by throwing lots of money at creators and actors. It launched a few days ago and costs 5 bucks or pounds or dollarydoos a month and if you bought an Apple product recently it's free for a year. But what can you watch on it right now, I hear you cry!!! I hear you scream to the heavens!!!! And I'll look down and whisper.....these things:

sorry if the pics are too big my photoshop stopped working and i am lazy

The Morning Show is about a morning news show co-hosted by Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carrell but then Carrell gets MeToo'd oh no!!!!! or maybe not? the show literally cannot decide if we should feel bad for him or not. Anyway then Reese Witherspoon shows up after yelling at people in a viral video and ends up becoming Aniston's co-host and there's lots of arguing with the network and with Mark Duplass' executive producer and Aniston just straight-up shouting at everyone. I've seen the first 3 eps and the acting is really good and the direction (led by Leftovers head director Mimi Leder) is nice and it looks gorgeous but the scripts (showrunner is Kerry Ehrin who ran Bates Motel) are like someone wants to be Aaron Sorkin very badly but does not really have that special something that makes his best work shine. I'd still put it over Studio 60 and The Newsroom though. The initial order was for two seasons.

For All Mankind is a space show by Ronald D. Moore who created the 00s BSG which is a great sign! It's an alternate history tale where the damned Ruskies got to the Moon before the hero legends America and the space race carries on for longer. It stars Joel Kinnaman from Suicide Squad and the Robocop remake (fine, and The Killing/House of Cards/Altered Carbon) and Michael Dorman from TVIV-fave-and-if-you-don't-like-it-you-can-eat-my-entire-rear end PATRIOT!!!!!! IT JOHN LAKEMAN BABY!!!!!! Lead director is Seth Gordon from The King of Kongs, Horrible Bosses, and others! Haven't watched any of this yet but it has the best overall reception of this first batch of shows so I'm lookin forward to it. Has been renewed for a second season.

What if the past but they talk like modern youths??? Dickinson is a black comedy period show about the titular famous poet and her struggle with the gender and family roles in her era. Emily herself is played by the awesome Hailee Steinfeld, her parents are played by the awesome Toby Huss and Jane Krakowski, and her sister Lavinia is played by the I don't know who they are but they seem cool Anna Baryshnikov! All the adults talk in mostly period-accurate voices while all the kids say "yeet" and "fam" and "bogus" and other such contemporary sayings (ok maybe not those actual ones)! It's created by Alena Smith who previously wrote for The Affair and the lead director is David Gordon Green known for good indie movies and also Pineapple Express and Danny McBride's awesome HBO shows. I've watched one episode and it seemed enjoyable if not fantastic but I will keep watching!!! Wiz Khalifa played Death, that's pretty cool! Has been renewed for a second season.

See is one of those it's the future but poo poo is all hosed up and gone tribal-y things. The human race have gone blind and have had to learn to adapt but then Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones, Aquaman, being shirtless)'s wife gives birth to twins who can.......SEE!!!!!! like the name of the show! This attracts the attention of baddies so they have to protect the twins from baddies and such things. Created by Steven Knight, who did Peaky Blinders (which is good) and also the show Taboo and 2019 movie Serenity (both of which are bad!!!!) (apparently Locke is good but I never saw it) and directed by Francis Lawrence, who previously helmed I Am Legend and a bunch of Hunger Games movies. The critical reception is pretty bad for this one, and I'm not gonna watch given my dislike for Knight's less good work, so you'll all have to let me know!!!! It's the only one of these to not be renewed yet.

I guess there's other things too? but I don't really know anything about those but feel free to discuss them here anyway. There's like a documentary about elephants???? and an Oprah thing????

Apple TV has native apps on the expected Apple products and also some Sony/Samsung Smart TVs and some models of Roku/Fire TV, with more to come, as well as in browsers.

THIS WAS MORE EFFORT THAN I WANTED TO PUT INTO SOMETHING THIS MORNING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Forgot to mention before, but while most of these shows have released the first 3 episodes and are going weekly from then on, much like Hulu do, the entire first season of Dickinson is up now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first For All Mankind episode and I liked it quite a bit, although the characters seemed pretty thin.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dickinson ep 2 was also good but Jane Krakowski’s character shits me up the wall

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Caught up with For All Mankind and yeah ep 3 was great!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought For All Mankind ep 5 was pretty good and intense

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Baronash posted:

No, it’s pretty good, and the Sorkin-wannabe comment in the OP is weird and isn’t reflected in the show at all.

I mean I’m enjoying the show but the dialogue is absolutely an attempt to be Sorkin-esque

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just an fyi that as well as Servant debuting today, the new eps of Morning Show and For All Mankind are also up a day early for I assume Thanksgiving reasons.

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Nov 28, 2019

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This week’s Morning Show is the best episode so far. Some really powerful scenes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Servant had a really interesting episode this week. It showed things from the nanny’s POV and kind of made you feel bad for her / showed what privileged fucks the main couple are.

Also there was one Morning Show reveal that I thought was really powerful but I’m also not sure if Aniston was meant to be making it up or not? If that’s the case that’s kinda weird and problematic idk

For All Mankind next

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat that was a really good episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Morning Show and For All Mankind finales were both superb imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Is anyone keeping up with Servant?

Yeah. It’s been decent. Is today’s episode the finale?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Little America is loving awesome.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anthology show where every episode revolves around a different story of an immigrant in America (or trying/wanting to get to America), all based on true stories.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m quite enjoying Home Before Dark, a mystery-drama about a 9 year old reporter (based on a real person??). Kind of Veronica Mars meets the non-supernatural parts of Stranger Things. I’m intrigued.

Watched the first episode of Defending Jacob (the Chris Evans thing). Seems boring!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

There is a new episode of Mythic Quest. It is good. Really really good.

God drat, that climax was legitimately loving impressive

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don’t think it’s the funniest show yet but it’s likeable as all hell and that goes a long way. Definitely worth checking out if you’re interested.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We were talking in Couch Chat about how the latest episode was fuckin awesome haha. I think that and the Brad’s brother one were both excellent.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I never would have guessed that Big Head could pull that off but he was great. Man what a fuckin fantastic episode

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We tend to talk about Mythic Quest in Couch Chat for some reason. I really liked this episode, but also thought it felt weird to follow up on the flashback episode so quickly. I would have preferred if this episode was in a potential season 3, I think.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Esco n Idiom, at it again!

I like Physical more than I expected from the reviews but it commits two cardinal streaming sins of 1. feeling like it’s stretching a regular pilot premise out over multiple episodes and 2. starting off with a useless in medias res opening that isn’t even that interesting

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Central Park s2 is good so far. Really liked the third episode about Molly’s issues, and Emmy Raver-Lampman is a great replacement for Bell

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wanna stan more for Home Before Dark. It’s a really cool mystery show that’s kinda like if Veronica Mars had been ten years old. Not the best show on Apple, but probably the most underrated.

Has anyone checked out Lissey’s Story?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Schmigadoon premiered and it’s quite a lot of fun although could get old fast. Not sure how long the season is.

Also still watching and enjoying Home Before Dark, Central Park, and Physical. Also rewatching Ted Lasso s1 in anticipation of season 2 premiering soon. That could probably do with its own thread, right? I can’t remember if it had one last year.

It’s crazy how Apple has been like by far the best streaming service for me so far this year

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the depiction of bulimia is rough. Definitely something I would warn people about beforehand if I thought it would affect them

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat I forgot to make a Ted Lasso thread and I’m working all weekend. Loved the premiere

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A thing I wrote on another discord:

Ted Lasso and For All Mankind are the essential Apple shows.

also worth checking out:

dramas: Servant, Home Before Dark, Little Voice

comedies: Mythic Quest, Little America, Dickinson, Central Park, Trying

Physical is pretty good but real dark, and Schmigadoon is promising but only had two eps so far (obv it’s had one more since then. it’s okay)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ted Lasso: show still owns but this episode had the first thing so far that really didn’t work for me in any way the whole Led Tasso thing. Other than that, though, another great episode. Really happen to see them tackle sponsorship in British football, which I’ve always thought was gross as hell.

Schmigadoon: Chenoweth sang! Krakowski showed up, and then sang! Still think the show is only okay but these were def highlights of the season so far

Physical: Another decent but not great show, but I dug the finale. Still a little too unpleasant for me but the final scene was drat funny. I’ll watch it if it gets renewed.

Little Voice: cancelled :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Anyone tried that Mr. Corman show? I might throw it on after Lasso/Schmig tonight

Watched the first two eps. It’s kinda weird. I’m not sure if it’s about anything except “an anxious guy” but the filmmaking is solid and JGL’s performance is real good

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been handily ignoring the Ted Lasso discourse these past few weeks largely because we had an episode like this coming up that would bring everything together and fix a lot of folks’ apparent issues. Really fantastic stuff that I hope quells some of the negativity.

And yep, Film Crit Hulk called that one perfectly. drat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also glad to see y'all hated that dumbass oil company plotline too

I loved it in 203. They just haven’t really done anything with it since then, and it really seems blatant. It’s the main criticism of this season I can really get on board with because really? They replaced freaking Dubai Air with a tiny dating app and that’s it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mr. Corman is such an interesting show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Loved the Beard episode but I’m a huge After Hours fan so it was always gonna get me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The most underrated Scorsese movie that this episode + title are an overt reference to haha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Ted Lasso backlash entirely exists on the internet lmao

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Saying that Lasso doesn’t have any stakes or that they’ve exhausted the premise already is ridiculous. This season has done some great interior work with several characters, and from a psychological point of view it’s fantastic. And I care about that stuff far more than I do if they win the bloody match

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I'm going to be that guy. I loved that episode. LOVED it. I loved the journey Beard went on. I loved the emotional place it took him to, and I loved that Jane (is that right?) was there in his moment of magic. Right when he was at his darkest, his all is lost moment, he has this built up cathartic release and she steps in. I was crying at that moment.

It's funny because I was expecting TVIV to love this one because goons loved the two side stories in Mythic Quest. I hated those two side stories for the same reasons that people don't like the Beard episode. I thought they were boring and irrelevant to the bigger picture. I don't know why this one worked on me while MQ's side stories didn't, but I think the writer of this episode deserves some sort of award... or cookie... or sticker. Hey, did I mention I REALLY liked it?

I also appreciate the Road Trip genre in one town thing. I always have. Different sights, weird people, small vignettes of other's lives while moving towards an ultimate emotional climax for our protagonist just gets me. This is what Ted is missing. Ted lives for football (US and now UK), but Beard lives!

I agree with almost all of this but I’m not sure Jane is actually good for him. There’s a transcript of the texts she sent somewhere and they go way over the border into abusive. I’m not sure if the show’s intending this to be dangerous/a red flag though, or trying to do a “they’re dysfunctional but perfect for each other!!!!!” thing - obviously before this episode that seemed to clearly be the case, but those texts give me pause and if they’re intended to be part of that it was a far bigger misstep than “having extra episodes” imo

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But it is more than fine junk food. If you’re not digging this season that’s fine but it’s no reason to make silly assertions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My guess (based on nothing) is that Rupert’s buying another football team and wants to poach Nate.