Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ah, finally, a place to talk about Mythic Quest. Nobody's posting about the very latest one, which is more or less a Part 2 to last week's throwback to the past, so I'll just start by saying that I just came in from the rain, my allergies are acting up, and you need to stop cutting onions in front of me. gently caress, I was so uncomfortable for most of this episode but it had such a phenomenally good payoff. This show is ridiculous.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I read this post just before watching season 1, and it was fun to see Big Head was CW for a brief moment in the first episode when they introduced his character.
This post is very confusing because this guy:

Is a completely different person.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

Correct, so I went back. The copy I have on Plex from last year has the shot in your post, the version that’s on Apple+ now has been retconned with a different still - of Big Head.
Wow, they loving George Lucas'd their show. Mind grabbing a screenshot?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Interestingly, that original photo was of Murray Abraham with an Oscar:

My friend suggests that, outside of this being a cute continuity correction, it could be a case of photo licensing terms.
And then his hot take was that it's white washing. I'm gonna stick with cute continuity correction.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

This new episode of Mythic Quest is very good. Called the final "twist" pretty easily but lol at the idea that they're just gonna make Second Life.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Oh yeah I forgot to mention: At the start of this episode they have someone putting up the graphic of the female character where... it always has been.

"Yeah, that looks great. Awesome work."
But... that's always been there. I get the feeling there was a cut scene where he had it taken down at some point? Or am I missing something?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mythic Quest still fuckin' got it. The end of the latest episode actually made me tear up. Plus we get banger acting like this:
https://i.imgur.com/tcQH9qy.mp4

And lovely pearls of wisdom like this:
https://i.imgur.com/A5xHY14.mp4

The show honestly deserves way more attention than it gets. I don't know how Apple+ is about cancelling good shows but if this one gets canned, it only deserved it because it was on Apple+.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 22, 2022

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The biggest problem with MQ is that its highs are really high and its lows are really low. It's sorta been that way since the beginning. I think I'm willing to enjoy it because it's about something I care about and reminds me of some of my old work days without ultimately taking horrible trope routes that Big Bang Theory and Silicon Valley took. It still taps the occasional horrible trope but it's done in service of a message instead of service of something to disparage.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

George H.W. oval office posted:

The one off flash back episodes for MQ continue to be the best episodes each season. They absolutely nailed the casting for young Poppy.
Halfway in, "Ah well, guess they won't make me cry in this season's flashback episode."
Poppy plays Sarian, "I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING."

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The highs were real nice for MQ and the lows were snooze-worthy but at least I'm not, like, offended by how bad the writing gets. I've watched enough bad television to know when a show is trying and failing vs just flailing around and MQ at least seems to be trying. No reason to stop watching now but it does ache a bit when the acting is outpacing the writing by a mile. I'm curious to see Charlotte Nicdao in other stuff because she's almost too perfect as Poppy.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

A year before MQ came out she was in a YouTube series called Content that was really good. Worth a watch!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLsPVOdZ3LN6c966JDLaeWqow8e0OjRvIs
Jesus that car flip scene was done really well for some silly portrait mode sorta-TV series. I wanna see how they filmed that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Looks like Mythic Quest lost F. Murray Abraham not to White Lotus... but to method acting.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-mov...-tv-1234714869/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Re: Foundation

Jane Espenson's writing this season so I've got hope. She's a great writer and script doctor, who did a lot of (2 hours of) uncredited writing on the first season of Game Of Thrones and reworked the alien lady desert planet subplot last year.
I wasn't gonna go back because Season 1 ended on such a letdown but that trailer and this information... I think they got me back. Thanks for letting us know.