Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

A few weeks ago I saw something so stupid I had to have it bad. Like that feeling when you see a big red button with a DO NOT PUSH sign next to it bad.

(the rack is straight, the gun is not)

It's...a Kel-Tec? But those suck! But somehow this one doesn't?

This is a CMR-30. It's a 22 magnum rimfire semiauto with a capacity of a whopping 30 rounds and an unloaded weight of 3.8lbs. It's tiny, it's light, and it's a hoot to shoot. Yes Virginia, that's a sliding stock on it too. Collapsed you could just about fit it in a backpack. And it even comes with a set of MBUS!

Last weekend I shot it about 100-150ish times with the irons in the standing position. Unfortunately I suck with irons and double suck in the standing position, so my results triple sucked. But to alleviate that I tossed on my Burris AR332 3x prism sight and an American Defense quick detach mount a few minutes ago. The whole package is still pretty light! I intend to try it out this weekend, maybe at a not indoor range so I can benchrest it.

The gun is also fairly ambidextrous, with the only exception of the ejection port and the slide lock. The charging handles stick out a bit from the sides, but they don't reciprocate.

There's even a LULA loader specifically for this and it makes loading a breeze.

AND IT CAN DO THIS TOO

Okay, so that's all the good stuff, what's the bad?
1. Well when suppressed it's surprisingly gassy at the ejection port. I would have fired more rounds last weekend, but my eyes just couldn't take it. Unsuppressed would probably be fine, but nah.
2. Apparently the rifle really doesn't like ammo with less than a 40 grain bullet.
3. Also apparently it doesn't like to run dirty. Haven't hit that point yet though.
4. They took a page from the Ruger 10/22's goofy slide lock and you have to hit the slide release to actually drop the bolt. Kind of weird, but whatever.
5. After about 20 rounds in the mag you will start putting small dents in cases from how much force it takes to load the mag. This doesn't affect function however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

i like ur gun rack

id like ur gun more if you'd hacksaw the barrel

i also have a weird boner right now

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If you don't SBR the poo poo out of that thing it's a crime against the natural order.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I can't find the photo at the moment but I have seen a pic of a SBR'red one and holy poo poo did it look fun in the dumbest way possible.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

I can't find the photo at the moment but I have seen a pic of a SBR'red one and holy poo poo did it look fun in the dumbest way possible.

I really want one because I saw one SBR'd. I don't even like 22 magnum.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Goddamn I want one with a dot for rabbit hunting now.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Ah, I forgot to mention that the trigger on this thing is actually pretty nice. It's got a decent amount of take up, but it breaks fairly light. Way better than a stock 10/22 trigger anyways. And if it isn't good enough for you Tandemkross makes and aftermarket one.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Ah, I forgot to mention that the trigger on this thing is actually pretty nice. It's got a decent amount of take up, but it breaks fairly light. Way better than a stock 10/22 trigger anyways. And if it isn't good enough for you Tandemkross makes and aftermarket one.

Oh drat it why did you have to say that. I want to SBR one of these things. I don't know why. I don't own any other 22wmr guns.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Goddamn I want one with a dot for rabbit hunting now.
For that role it'd probably be pretty sweet and still very lightweight with a micro or something.

Tyro posted:

Oh drat it why did you have to say that. I want to SBR one of these things. I don't know why. I don't own any other 22wmr guns.
doooooo it

edit: Oh yeah another thing I forgot to mention is the stock has 6 positions.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 6, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Have two buds with these. Can confirm they are totally bitchin'. And I've yet to meet a Kel-Tec with anything but a perfectly good trigger. Unless you count my Grendel but that's still smooth and just heavy.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Very neat. I'd always loved Keltec designs but got soured on things like my 1st gen sub2000 or p3at, I'm really happy keltec is apparently stepping up their quality while still keeping their fun designs.

Soupisgood
Dec 5, 2012

I like your Kreckler und Hoch pm6.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Short barrel on a .22WMR...?

that thing is loving hot tho.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Force de Fappe posted:

Short barrel on a .22WMR...?

that thing is loving hot tho.

short barrel everything

Hornady now makes 22mag targeted towards the pistol market so you could make yourself the worlds second dumbest pdw

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Miso Beno posted:

Hornady now makes 22mag targeted towards the pistol market so you could make yourself the worlds second dumbest pdw
Is that the Critical Defense line? I couldn't find anything else at or above 40 grains when I bought the gun so I bought 200 rounds of that and the CMR-30 likes it just fine so far.

Also worked fine with Maxi-Mags, but I probably don't want to use those long term.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

Is that the Critical Defense line? I couldn't find anything else at or above 40 grains when I bought the gun so I bought 200 rounds of that and the CMR-30 likes it just fine so far.

Also worked fine with Maxi-Mags, but I probably don't want to use those long term.

Yeah I was thinking of the Critical Defense line.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Maybe this will provide you with some inspiration:
https://www.recoilweb.com/we-make-a...-30-152010.html

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

Maybe this will provide you with some inspiration:
https://www.recoilweb.com/we-make-a...-30-152010.html

gently caress you i said no more guns this year.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

That optic is hilarious.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

That optic is hilarious.

it fits look of the gun really good tho

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Miso Beno posted:

gently caress you i said no more guns this year.

Pick up that can.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

I bought a KS7. Great shotgun and is sure to get a lot of onlookers. It also works as it should given the bullpup design and breakdown is simple.

Kel-Tec is getting good (I just don't like the cheap feeling plastic they use on their rifles/pistols, it feels fine on the shotgun though, riddle me that.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

In the entire article they took a couple of mags and mutilated them to make a high cap. They didn't go into a lot of detail but if you're interested im sure someone has a guide or a how to somewhere.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Super 3 posted:

In the entire article they took a couple of mags and mutilated them to make a high cap. They didn't go into a lot of detail but if you're interested im sure someone has a guide or a how to somewhere.
30 is plenty for me, especially with how gassy it is with the suppressor.

Fhistleb posted:

I bought a KS7. Great shotgun and is sure to get a lot of onlookers. It also works as it should given the bullpup design and breakdown is simple.

Kel-Tec is getting good (I just don't like the cheap feeling plastic they use on their rifles/pistols, it feels fine on the shotgun though, riddle me that.
Yeah their plastic feels a little cheap and the aluminum extrusion stock isn't the strongest, but so far I'm happy with this rifle.

Looked up the KS7 and it's a little lol but I hope you like it!

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 8, 2019

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Dan Haga makes some cool stuff for the cmr30 including an extended hand guard if you are looking to accessorize. I'm holding out hope KelTec releases a 22lr version one day.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ooooooo 3d printed nylon!

Also like that charging handle. Might have to at least get that.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Parts Kit posted:

30 is plenty for me, especially with how gassy it is with the suppressor.

Yeah their plastic feels a little cheap and the aluminum extrusion stock isn't the strongest, but so far I'm happy with this rifle.

Looked up the KS7 and it's a little lol but I hope you like it!

I wanted a "space" gun.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Who the gently caress is doing the marketing for KT???

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Dingleberry posted:

Who the gently caress is doing the marketing for KT???

Uhhh....what?!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Those sure are some ads.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

This stuff canít be real. Seriously. What the hell?!

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

y'all are talking about it, so it clearly works.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Urine luck with KelTec

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Those ads sure are something.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

Those ads sure are something.

We should make our own Kel Tec ads.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I'm probably not going to get to go to any meaningful range today, but I -might- be able to swing a trip to a 25 yard indoor range and do some basic sighting in. Really would like to go out to at least 50, but that's a long drive and I'm kind of under the weather at the moment.

Either way I'll post results as I get them.

«4 »