Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

I thought the tailhook was just a novelty thing but hook deployed it's actually pretty great. My brother who is left handed was able to shoot it accurately with his right hand hook deployed.

TLDR: would hook again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Introduction
Ya'll are right in thinking the CP33 needs some kind of brace setup. It's not balanced to be a brace-less pistol. Fortunately, FarrowTech has taken it upon themselves to fill that gap in the market with their Gear Head Works Tailhook adapter.

Installation
It's four fuckin' screws and lining up a square peg with a square hole. If you've built an AR15 you can attach this brace.

Initial Impression
I'm kind of in love with its simplicity, and the length of pull is perfect for me, although I think the whole setup could have benefited from a few extra adjustments and a hair more length. Oh yeah and some overtravel plugs or something.

Fit and Craftsmanship
The craftsmanship on the FarrowTech parts themselves is perfectly adequate, although I was surprised to see the main body of the adapter was made out of some kind of high-density polymer instead of aluminum. The latch itself is made out of aluminum, while the tubes appear to be made out of carbon fiber arrow shafts. They were cut nicely, and feel good and smooth so no complaints there.

What does kinda stink is how little attachment surface Kel-Tec left the aftermarket. The whole thing just grabs on to two little steel loops intended for a sling (I think) which imparts a little weeble-wobble into the system. Its not particularly noticeable when you load up the gun but it's also not confidence-inspiring, to say the least.

Function as a Brace and Other Forms of Three-Point Contact
While Super3 and their brother seemed to have good luck using the brace as a brace, I couldn't quite find a spot where I found that I could comfortably see my dot. That said, I strained my neck yesterday and have limited range of motion for the time being sooooooo YMMV. As an alternative third point of contact though, it's freaking great. The system feels good once you've loaded it up a bit and it looks pretty snazzy.

Post Initial Impression Thoughts
  • Feels pretty good, not as good as the CMR-30 stock tho
  • The rods could have been a hair longer with a few more adjustments for different sized
  • Vastly improves the gun, but its a heck of a cost
  • The brace tubes need overtravel stops
  • More thoughts to come after I actually get trigger time, and set the gun up with a light and magnifier

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Hahaha that looks pretty fun! Maybe Kel-Tec will release a proper carbine version someday.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Excellent write up and review - whole heartedly agree with your points on fit/finish and quality and the few cons are things that would've made it better.

I just got my 3D printer up and running again and if I can figure out some plugs for the rods that work I'll let you know.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

Excellent write up and review - whole heartedly agree with your points on fit/finish and quality and the few cons are things that would've made it better.

I just got my 3D printer up and running again and if I can figure out some plugs for the rods that work I'll let you know.

Ty! I might use this as an excuse to try and 3D model something myself

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

You're good at pictures.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Shot a full mag of Hornady Critical Defense through the PMR-30 yesterday and it worked 100%! Didn't have the time to properly zero the optic or do more shots but man it was fun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

I put four mags through my PMR-30 yesterday and it malfunctioned way more than it ever has before and then the front sight fell off again

Time for a deep clean/lube job I guess!

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Funtimes confirmed. Shot around 200 CCI, no failures so far. Been underloading the mags by 5 rounds cos they're a bitch to stuff full, definitely need a loader.

Got a Romeo5 inbound and probably snag that Dan Haga handguard when it's back in stock for maximum spacegun.

Don't hate on my Harry Potter blanket, keeps cat hair off my good sheets.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK

Hair Elf

The Maglula loader works real good.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

The Maglula works so good they really should have included it. Definitely pick one up.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

Finally picked up my own CP33, pictured with my AAC Element II. I should have gotten a shot of it with the Bowers Bitty. I want to hold off on getting a brace because I've heard the Farrowtech is pretty fragile, I don't really like the RevArms/SB1913 solution, and I've heard that Galloway Precision was working on a new brace for the CP33. Now that I have it in hand though I really want to throw a brace and an optic on it ASAP. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

BadgerMan45 posted:

Finally picked up my own CP33, pictured with my AAC Element II. I should have gotten a shot of it with the Bowers Bitty. I want to hold off on getting a brace because I've heard the Farrowtech is pretty fragile, I don't really like the RevArms/SB1913 solution, and I've heard that Galloway Precision was working on a new brace for the CP33. Now that I have it in hand though I really want to throw a brace and an optic on it ASAP. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

Looks great! Definitely post more pics when you get the brace situation figured out.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The farrowtech with tailhook seems like the way to go. Do people have problems snapping the carbon fiber rods?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Lord help me I want to buy a Sub-2000.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Target Practice posted:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Target Practice posted:

Kel Tec might not be the best poo poo out there, but they're just about the only gun company that pushes the envelope on new designs.

I still want one of those wacky 14 shell shotguns. Oh, and their .22 wmr pistol...and a Sub 2000 with a Glock magwell.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is the single most disturbing thing I've seen posted on the forums.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

Don't let Lowtax go down with the ship. Do your part for these dead gay forums.

Actual cannibal Shia LaBeouf?

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

CMR folx: is it possible to take off one side of the charging handle? I want one of these dumb things and feel like that would slick it up aesthetically a little bit

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

I think you need a flat piece of something but yeah. You can see an example flat piece of something here at Dan Haga's folding charging handle for it:

https://danhagadesigns.com/cmr-30-f...le-coming-soon/

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

hell yeah

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hells yeah now someone make a stendo handguard. Also someone make a better charging handle for the CP33.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

In case you're still waffling later

Miso Beno posted:

Hells yeah now someone make a stendo handguard.
Dan Haga is making them! Out of stock at the moment though.
https://danhagadesigns.com/cmr-30-m-lok-handguard/

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parts Kit posted:

In case you're still waffling later

Dan Haga is making them! Out of stock at the moment though.
https://danhagadesigns.com/cmr-30-m-lok-handguard/

yeah but the finish shift is kinda uggo. i kinda wish keltec would do it so the finish and extrusion profile would be a perfect match, and flipped charging handle cut out for an Mlok one.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Miso Beno posted:

i kinda wish keltec would do it so the finish and extrusion profile would be a perfect match
Yeah that would be pretty legit, though I am a-ok with the current charging handle setup. Might look into the right side delete that Haga did up and see if I can rig something myself.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Kel Tec might not be the best poo poo out there, but they're just about the only gun company that pushes the envelope on new designs.

I still want one of those wacky 14 shell shotguns. Oh, and their .22 wmr pistol...and a Sub 2000 with a Glock magwell.

If you want a ksg I have one I'll sell you. I got it cuz it was an amusing concept even though I'm not big on shotfuns in general, shot it a few times, got annoyed by it occassionally not grabbing shells and loading them from the mags when working the pump firmly and briskly. Not sure if thats a my ksg problem or ksgs in general.

Also its only 12 shells if youre loading 3 inch rounds sadly

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Miso Beno posted:

yeah but the finish shift is kinda uggo. i kinda wish keltec would do it so the finish and extrusion profile would be a perfect match, and flipped charging handle cut out for an Mlok one.

I mean, you're not wrong, but wishing that KelTec gave a poo poo about the cosmetics and that they would pay more attention to things like matching parts and having a better finish is kind of funny.

Like, I don't think that particular leopard is going to change its spots.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, you're not wrong, but wishing that KelTec gave a poo poo about the cosmetics and that they would pay more attention to things like matching parts and having a better finish is kind of funny.

Like, I don't think that particular leopard is going to change its spots.

Oh I know they're not going to change their spots, but they are the only dickheads with the correct extrusion. In fact, I think the only real changes they'd need to make are a couple, and to machine mlok in the charging handle slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Stravag posted:

If you want a ksg I have one I'll sell you. I got it cuz it was an amusing concept even though I'm not big on shotfuns in general, shot it a few times, got annoyed by it occassionally not grabbing shells and loading them from the mags when working the pump firmly and briskly. Not sure if thats a my ksg problem or ksgs in general.

Also its only 12 shells if youre loading 3 inch rounds sadly

On my list of things to buy, Kel Tec Shotguns is slated for roughly 2032.

The fact that I never get to fire my long guns makes them a pretty low priority. I've got my Mossberg 590 on 00 Buck duty for the time being.

«4 »