Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

also between beilein getting himself fired from the cavs and this, there needs to be a term like “the gamer word” but for bad, racially tinged college coaching analogies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Can’t wait for IU to spend 20 more million recruiting in state to get guys that can’t shoot again this year. Whoop whoop. Looking good for Purdue. Boiler Up.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Not fun being on the other side of one of those games, but it happens, teams have bad nights.

Illinois dominated and likely just cemented themselves as a 1 seed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

A couple years ago when two Wisconsin starters had season-ending injuries on the same day and limped to their first sub-500 record in ages, I could at least still enjoy watching Ethan Happ. He was a nightmare in the post, a stellar rebounder, and could pass out of double teams enough to get assists regularly.

No good comes from watching this Wisconsin basketball team. Even if your team beats them, you still had to spend 2 hours watching absolute bullshit offense clang the iron.

you all deserve this for pretending bo-ball was good

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Regnevelc posted:

Not fun being on the other side of one of those games, but it happens, teams have bad nights.

Illinois dominated and likely just cemented themselves as a 1 seed.

I think the Illinois magic trick was Kofi. Michigan has been so good because they've forced defenses to either double-team Dickenson (and the outside gets open), or play Dickenson straight-up (and Dickenson gets 20+).

Illinois played Dickenson straight up, so though Kofi went 6-10 for only 12 points, he completely shut down Dickenson 1-on-1 (Dickenson was 1-8). So Michigan's shot quality was godawful the whole game because of how good the Illinois defense was, enabled by Kofi.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Kofi isn't even a particularly good defender but he is one of the only people in the conference bigger than Dickinson so I think that bothered him a lot. And he got in foul trouble which is when Michigan really started to fall apart.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Hoopvision is out with a bunch of stuff on the Illinois-Michigan game. Michigan couldn't figure out how to break Illinois drop coverage and the counters they tried didn't work either:

https://twitter.com/hoopvision68/status/1367120632983478272?s=19

The game seems simple sometimes, then a hoopvision video shows just how much is going on and it's a bit mind-blowing.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is kind of weird but Kansas vs Baylor was the Senior Night for Marcus Garrett. Beat Baylor on the last home game, made his speech etc. Now KU has added a game tomorrow against UTEP at Allen Fieldhouse so he'll technically get two Senior Night performances.

And then if he comes back next season he'll get a third. That will be a trivia question for KU fans one day. Basically he's the new Perry Ellis

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Lol

https://twitter.com/DSmithShow/status/1367183021883854850?s=19

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
MWC Champions :)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Mizzou makes no goddamned sense, which actually makes perfect sense for Mizzou.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1367323577687621632

I mean it's pretty clear they aren't actually very good, but by god they can bungle their way into scaring about anyone.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 4, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jayhawks got a commitment from a guy named Gradey Dick.

I can't see other fanbases in the area being mature about this so let me make the first joke. If it wasn't for the NCAA looming KU would be signing Grade A Dick but you have to work with what you got.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

Mizzou makes no goddamned sense, which actually makes perfect sense for Mizzou.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1367323577687621632

I mean it's pretty clear they aren't actually very good, but by god they can bungle their way into scaring about anyone.

they love to play to their opponent's level

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1367285692808658945?s=20

I laughed really hard at this. He was perfect from the line for the entire season before making this remark.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Out right Champs is pretty cool.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/umhoops/status/1367656858404720640

nice

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Creighton coach got suspended, may yet get canned
https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1367678855872413704?s=20

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Steve Prohm's conference winning percentage since Monte Morris graduated is .253. Wayne Morgan's was .458 and he got run out of town after three years and had to start selling satellite dishes. Todd Lickliter's was .278! I know everyone is broke and they just had to give Matt Campbell a big raise but there's no way Prohm can keep that job, right?

I'm also reminded that some Michigan fans really wanted to hire him when Beilein left for the NBA and I'm very sad that didn't happen.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Steve Prohm's conference winning percentage since Monte Morris graduated is .253. Wayne Morgan's was .458 and he got run out of town after three years and had to start selling satellite dishes. Todd Lickliter's was .278! I know everyone is broke and they just had to give Matt Campbell a big raise but there's no way Prohm can keep that job, right?

I'm also reminded that some Michigan fans really wanted to hire him when Beilein left for the NBA and I'm very sad that didn't happen.

Prohm? I don’t recall his name near the Michigan coaching search. The weird ‘shouldn’t be on the radar, but is candidate’ was Ed Cooley.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Regnevelc posted:

Prohm? I don’t recall his name near the Michigan coaching search. The weird ‘shouldn’t be on the radar, but is candidate’ was Ed Cooley.

I don't think he got an actual interview but he was a big MGoBlog favorite, they pushed him hard.

Alabama did actually make a hard push for him and man they got bailed out having to settle for Oats instead.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 5, 2021

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

Creighton coach got suspended, may yet get canned
https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1367678855872413704?s=20

it seems that greg mcdermott will be leaving the plantation

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MourningView posted:

I don't think he got an actual interview but he was a big MGoBlog favorite, they pushed him hard.

Alabama did actually make a hard push for him and man they got bailed out having to settle for Oates instead.

Here's the article on that, which is kinda funny looking back: https://mgoblog.com/content/obligatory-list-potential-beilein-replacements

At the time I was very much Team Howard or Team Yaklich, but the other Big Name was Ed Cooley out of Providence. I believe Cooley got an interview as the potential second choice to Howard, but he didn't have a whole lot of pizzazz because his brand of basketball was seen as a bit on the boring side.

Nobody quite knew what Howard's overall basketball style would be, or if he could even coach until Bron/DWade vouched for him. But he seems to have the radical philosophy of simply pushing what the team's good at! Beilein was allergic to the post and left Howard one of the best PNR tandems in the country, so Howard ran a lot of PNR last year. Now, he has a dominant old-school big man so he... feeds the big man in the post and taught the rest of the team how to post-feed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Howard had been an assistant for one of the best coaches in the NBA for several years and gotten NBA head coaching interviews. It's obviously not the exact same as hiring an established head coach and there were some questions about how he'd recruit (extremely well, it turns out) but it was bizarre that so many people treated him like he'd never coached before and was an out of left field hire who only got considered because he'd been a famous player. I remember the athletic college basketball people throwing a giant fit about how unfair it was to college coaches.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I agree.

People were pumping Billy Donovan as a legit option, which turned out false. I think Howard seemed underwhelming given the state of the program at the time.

I liked the hire, but didn’t expect him to win the Big Ten and have the #1 recruiting class in year 2.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Paul Weir is out at New Mexico, which I feel like was inevitable. Frankly, after how last season completely collapsed, I was surprised he made it to 2020/21.

Let's just lose to San Jose State and get the season over with.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This year's bracket is gonna be the biggest crap shoot in a sea of crap shoots

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

Howard had been an assistant for one of the best coaches in the NBA for several years and gotten NBA head coaching interviews. It's obviously not the exact same as hiring an established head coach and there were some questions about how he'd recruit (extremely well, it turns out) but it was bizarre that so many people treated him like he'd never coached before and was an out of left field hire who only got considered because he'd been a famous player. I remember the athletic college basketball people throwing a giant fit about how unfair it was to college coaches.

Howard hiring Phil Martelli instead of one of his buddies as lead assistant was a good move too. Helps with all the dumb NCAAisms Howard forgot about since his playing days

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

God I hope so. Inherited one of the best Cyclone teams of all time, and ISU has gotten worse every year. Hilton is going to look like we’re still dealing with COVID if Prohm is still around.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Howard hiring Phil Martelli instead of one of his buddies as lead assistant was a good move too. Helps with all the dumb NCAAisms Howard forgot about since his playing days

For real, that was a great hire.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

I agree.

People were pumping Billy Donovan as a legit option, which turned out false. I think Howard seemed underwhelming given the state of the program at the time.

I liked the hire, but didn’t expect him to win the Big Ten and have the #1 recruiting class in year 2.

to me the knocks on juwan were he didn’t have ncaa experience and the hire felt like another “oh michigan decided they needed a Michigan Man again” but he’s crushed it from the jump

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

It was a good hire but the people (not you, but it's A Thing) acting like Martelli is secretly coaching the team even as they run a bunch of Heat sets are really dumb and probably racist.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Declan MacManus posted:

to me the knocks on juwan were he didn’t have ncaa experience and the hire felt like another “oh michigan decided they needed a Michigan Man again” but he’s crushed it from the jump

Yeah recruiting was also a bit of an open question, as initially it looked like it might be a partial flameout like with Harbaugh and football. Enough juice that big names would give him a look, and maybe even commit, but then change their mind and go somewhere else at the end. That basically happened with Isiah Todd / Josh Christopher, but he's good enough at scouting talent that he bagged two grad transfers that turned out to arguably be the best in the country.

MourningView posted:

It was a good hire but the people (not you, but it's A Thing) acting like Martelli is secretly coaching the team even as they run a bunch of Heat sets are really dumb and probably racist.

Yeah that stuff is/was pretty icky. From what I remember, Howard kept stumbling into minor NCAA violations in interviews about Todd/Christopher in the first year, thus Martelli being such a smart hire, but it was obvious in the first year that Howard can coach his rear end off. Running that line in his second year, which I heard too, is willful blindness.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just learned that Alabama HS basketball is played without a shot clock. Think that might change with Bama and Auburn both taking the sport seriously now but it's still more common than you'd think nationwide.

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1368253407719395330
Shame it (probably?) ends like this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah Iowa doesn't have a shot clock and lots of coaches love to do the four corners bullshit it sucks a lot

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Georgia voted in one last summer, which will be phased in over a period of three years. Regions can elect to use one next year before it becomes a permanent thing in 2022-23. They become only the ninth state to do a shot clock and the NFHS voted down a national mandate last year.

I actually like the slowdown bullshit, but the shot clock had some major advocates. Some of the more influential high school coaches spoke in favor it and Tom Crean attended the GHSA's vote session (or discussion or something).

A state tournament boys game ended 29-25 this week after one team held the ball the entire third quarter in an attempt to draw the opposing defense out of a zone. Didn't work.

MourningView posted:

Yeah Iowa doesn't have a shot clock and lots of coaches love to do the four corners bullshit it sucks a lot

Iowa had a girls game in 1979 end 4-2 in 4 overtimes.

Iowa also had 6-on-6 girls basketball until the 1990s.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
There are people still really mad that 6 on 6 is gone, including a lot of older women I know who played it.

When I was a sophomore our team had two girls who played D1, one of whom was 6'6" and got a WNBA shot until a physical revealed she had a heart condition, so we won state and pretty much crushed everyone along the way. The one exception was when the coach tried to make them sit on a 6 point lead with like 10 minutes left in a substate game and very nearly blew their chance to even make the state tournament much less win it.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2021

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Just learned that Alabama HS basketball is played without a shot clock. Think that might change with Bama and Auburn both taking the sport seriously now but it's still more common than you'd think nationwide.

Only 8 states have shot clocks in high school:

California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, and Washington

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
If I could have hit shots in the 1st half they would have beaten Purdue today. But they didn't, and Purdue's won 9 in a row in the series. Hopefully it will be 11+ in a row after next season when it will be this Purdue roster + 2 top 40 recruits vs this IU roster + a 3/4 star 6'9" center and possibly - Jackson-Davis.

Purdue clinched the 4th seed in the BTT, 3rd if Wisconsin upsets Iowa tomorrow, I think that's 5 straight double byes in BTTs that were actually played.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

MourningView posted:

Hellooooo MSU fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There's a reason Martelli got fired after 25 years at St. Joes, so having him as secret puppet master coach is a take