Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
SDSU got a new commit

https://twitter.com/simplyy_bball/status/1289777704577900545?s=19

Yay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

looking at Kenpom, drat if SLU isn't underrated at P45. they've got a great senior Big 3 of Jordan Goodwin, Hasahn French, and Javonte Perkins, and Goodwin looked amazing last year when he could play the 2 and have Yuri Collins run the offense.

as for Mizzou this is a make-or-breaker for Cuonzo. he's installed a new offense based on Euroleague concepts and that helped to bring the Smiths/Tilmon back for their senior year. problem is his recruiting is suffering in STL because of Ford and co. making the Bills into an attraction again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1326367582635646977

Huh, I was sure they were just going to pretend everything was fine and power through.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
gently caress off, Gregg.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

yeah happy trails, fucko

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Now to see which little school desperate for even fleeting basketball success and which doesn't give a poo poo about its athletes will pick him up off the scrap heap.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

elentar posted:

Now to see which little school desperate for even fleeting basketball success and which doesn't give a poo poo about its athletes will pick him up off the scrap heap.

why, bah gawd, that's liberty's music

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Probably Magic posted:

why, bah gawd, that's liberty's music

you'd think but Ritchie McKay has been doing a good job there and is also one of the extremely few people linked to that school who isn't a white nationalist, a rape-enabler, or some other variety of utter shithead.

maybe that makes it even more likely that Liberty would dump the reasonably successful and popular black coach with strong regional ties for the white rear end in a top hat with a God complex.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

i wouldn’t be shocked to see him pop up at a bottom tier pac 12 school where he can keep a relatively low profile for a year or two before the program takes off again

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Liberty or someone like that is probably a good call, I don't see why a major conference school would hire him now when he already couldn't get a bigger job before this

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He was offered plenty of big time jobs if I remember but Wichita paid him boatloads to stay and then fed their fans a bunch of bullshit about how he loves it there and then they said things like he'll never leave because where else can he get the kind of power and control over his program? *slaps teenager*

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

No Ivy basketball this year.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

elentar posted:

No Ivy basketball this year.

Ivy was the first to shut it all down in the spring. Do the smart people know something again?

I think most schools play, just a question of how many games, but I think they will do all they can to have a season. Football feeds the schools' athletic budgets, but the tournament is what makes the NCAA their money. They can't afford to lose two in a row.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Biden will bail the NCAA out.

Pretty likely that the tournament won't happen considering how poorly everything is going. We may even know by Christmas!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

NCAA planning to do the whole drat thing in Indianapolis

quote:

NCAA staff is in preliminary discussions with the state of Indiana and the city of Indianapolis to potentially host the 68-team tournament around the metropolitan area in March and April. Indianapolis is already scheduled to be the host site for the Final Four next April.
[...]
With the pandemic still waging on, and with the NCAA determined to host the NCAA Tournament in 2021 after it was canceled in 2020 just prior to its scheduled start, the decision to aim for March Madness in one city makes the most logistical sense. It reduces risk of virus transmission that players and staffers would be exposed to by flying across country throughout the tournament, and allows all mitigation efforts to be focused in one geographic location. With 68 teams, multiple venues would be necessary to pull off the event.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Looks like part of it would be having 2 weeks between selection Sunday and games so teams can quarantine in Indy. You'd have Hinkle, the Pacers arena and Lucas Oil for games. You could probably set up multiple courts at Lucas Oil for early rounds.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It feels wrong to lock a bunch of teens in a bubble.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Rick posted:

It feels wrong to lock a bunch of teens in Indiana.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
These are just normal, average, students who we are going to lock in a hotel for a month so we can make a billion dollars in TV revenue off their labor

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 17, 2020

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

These are just normal, average, students who we are going to lock in a hotel for a month so we can make a billion dollars in TV revenue off their labor

"What, we thought you all liked the Hunger Games?"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

“They’re probably safer in the basketball program than they would be if they were just at home because *insert very racist-seeming reason here*”

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
At least it's single elimination I guess

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Games start in one week. Yay?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That seems optimistic.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Bird in a Blender posted:

That seems optimistic.

Yeah, the UVA-Florida game on Friday already got postponed because the Gators have positives.
https://twitter.com/sbunfurled/status/1330556767642787842?s=21

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

bummed about the gator covid stuff

but also why the gently caress are we playing basketball lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ehud posted:

bummed about the gator covid stuff

but also why the gently caress are we playing basketball lol

the same reason they're playing football there is money to be made and the people with the most to gain are risking the least

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

MourningView posted:

the same reason they're playing football there is money to be made and the people with the most to gain are risking the least

Because exercise is also part of a good education?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Bird in a Blender posted:

Because exercise is also part of a good education?

Sounds like a Negative Nancy doesn't want our student athletes to be well rounded individuals.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

the last thing I want university students doing is getting an education

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/status/1330643204220350467

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow that's bruce pearl's music

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/JFergusonAU/status/1330646279937028096
This but very plausible they'll be putting it together by the end of the season

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

oh good that will save you from the ncaa

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
post season is gonna get canceled again and they're just gonna say that counts, bruce pearl stays playing chess

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1330866780085104640?s=19

if this is true I am starting a go fund me to get him to australia for a season

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/ByPatForde/status/1330866780085104640?s=19

if this is true I am starting a go fund me to get him to australia for a season

No need, his family is fine. His sister's in the WNBA and is engaged to Dwight Howard, and his dad's an agent, which is part of the problem.

Pat Forde has had a hate boner for Auburn ever since Cam Newton and the "ongoing investigation" that never went anywhere. I'm not sure where he gets "lie and deny" from, everyone involved has known that -something- was coming, it was just to what degree. What's alleged at Auburn is peanuts compared to what was going on at places like Okie State or LSU (where it astounds me that their coach is still there).

The other stuff that we're taking a hit for is in regards to Chuck Person, who was giving money to players to sign with agents when they left Auburn (and encouraging them to do that sooner than later), which is arguably against Auburn's interests. Chuck caught federal charges and was fired, the players had to pay back the money and sat for over a year each, and nobody (to my knowledge) is alleging that Bruce knew about any of it at the time.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

And the reason they caught that was the FBI was involved; just saying if something did go down with Sharife I will take my chances with Auburn omerta.

https://twitter.com/JoshVitale/status/1330666316999618563

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wylie posted:

No need, his family is fine. His sister's in the WNBA and is engaged to Dwight Howard, and his dad's an agent, which is part of the problem.

Pat Forde has had a hate boner for Auburn ever since Cam Newton and the "ongoing investigation" that never went anywhere. I'm not sure where he gets "lie and deny" from, everyone involved has known that -something- was coming, it was just to what degree. What's alleged at Auburn is peanuts compared to what was going on at places like Okie State or LSU (where it astounds me that their coach is still there).

The other stuff that we're taking a hit for is in regards to Chuck Person, who was giving money to players to sign with agents when they left Auburn (and encouraging them to do that sooner than later), which is arguably against Auburn's interests. Chuck caught federal charges and was fired, the players had to pay back the money and sat for over a year each, and nobody (to my knowledge) is alleging that Bruce knew about any of it at the time.

he's not there anymore but anyone who has ever covered college sports for yahoo is a pathetic ncaa cop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

MourningView posted:

he's not there anymore but anyone who has ever covered college sports for yahoo is a pathetic ncaa cop

Forde is particularly funny because he took Rick Pitino's money for years and years, putting in time ghostwriting for him for quite some time before getting a co-author credit in 2008.

Just, uh, not sure his sense of corruption in sports vis-à-vis his own personal bank account is all that finely calibrated.