Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Big fan of the dude in the suit who comes flying in over the pile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ahahahahahhahaha

Condolences to that one Evansville fan, no one deserves this

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

I can't remember, is he just a bad coach or a bad coach / lovely human being?

Not a bad person as far as I can tell, just a terrible coach who plays incredibly boring basketball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Garza scored 44 against Michigan with him and only 33 without so actually he must stink.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He isn't going to play in the NBA unless he has a time machine so I think he probably comes back. Wouldn't blame him for jumping though, hard to imagine topping this year and he's going to make a shitload of money in Europe. His mom played pro ball in Europe, he has a couple cousins playing in Italy, and his uncle is an ex-Euroleague player and coach who is the all time leading scoring for the Slovenian national team, so between the family connections and being a legit player of the year candidate he's going to be in demand.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
lmao Fran got a tech at halftime, I stan an angry king

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

I swear it feels like Garza has been on Iowa for five years now

He's a junior! Even I thought he was a senior this year until like game five

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa tried so so hard to poop this game down their leg but hooray for what is somehow a quality win

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like 90% of the league feels this way. Is Baylor the only good team in the entire league?

He's a Michigan fan there are lots of good teams in their league

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao get hosed Davidson you flopping gently caress

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Coco13 posted:

Seconded.

That was so satisfying.

For people who didn't watch Iowa completed a giant comeback and basically sealed a win when Charge Guy Brad Davidson got a flagrant foul for a hook when he tried to get around a screen with what looked like a Ric Flair low blow.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Grats on the best team Iowa's had in a very long term MV!

I have no idea how this is true but it seems like maybe it is? I am still a little gunshy because we've had so many late season collapses under Fran and this team has zero depth.

But that was definitely a game we usually lose. We shot like poo poo, played the whole game at Wisconsin's pace, fell way behind...and somehow still pulled it out.

This is definitely a football shirt from the ISU game but whatever I'll allow it, most of the students didn't realize we still had a basketball team until like a week ago

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 28, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

That was so satisfying.

For people who didn't watch Iowa completed a giant comeback and basically sealed a win when Charge Guy Brad Davidson got a flagrant foul for a hook when he tried to get around a screen with what looked like a Ric Flair low blow.

https://twitter.com/Adamedge16/status/1222007151247360000?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah I think Howard is going to be really good once he has a roster that fits what he wants to do better, he runs good sets and they're recruiting has jumped up a level. Wagner has underperformed as a shooter and then Livers got hurt so no one can make a shot. Simpson has to carry way too much of the offense. Iggy going pro a year earlier than he probably should have really set them back.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

I don't think Michigan is bad at all, the Big Ten is murder. I was just commenting on fan expectations. It used to be recruiting doesn't really matter (until kinda near the end), Beilein will coach them up. (This is now Rutgers, unless we get Cliff Omoruyi.) Now it's must have all the starzzz.

This year was going to be a step back even with Beilein in all likelihood. Part of the reason he left is because he was frustrated with guys jumping early. It's disappointing mostly because they overachieved early with the run through Atlantis, but even that looks worse now aside from the Gonzaga win because it turns out UNC and ISU both suck. Before that everyone figured they'd be about what they have been, and that was a before their best player got hurt. I don't know if they really need all five stars (although he's starting to get those), they just need some guys who can actually shoot and don't have that right now. They're still generating a lot of open looks.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 29, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Schremp Howard posted:

I don't understand that chant? Saying he should be in the stands because he doesn't know what he's doing? Because they want him when K goes so it's like recruiting? Am I out of touch or is it the children who are wrong?

I mean I'm a Pitt fan and love Capel but would totally understand if he went to Duke if offered the job.

I do not want to defend Duke fans but it seems like it was just an acknowledgement that he was a Duke guy? It seems like K just misheard the chant and flipped out because he thought they were taunting Capel when it was actually pretty harmless.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
KenPom has them as one of the unluckiest teams and they've been really bipolar. They have some awesome wins to go along with a bunch of inexcusable losses.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vikingstrike posted:

Imagine the reaction if any other coach turned around and yelled at the fans like that.

Eh, college sports fans tend to be pretty predisposed towards bootlicking it would probably still be mostly "good for him putting those mouthy rude kids in their place." Just look at the reaction Izzo got last year for nearly getting in a fight with Henry

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/BadgerMBB/status/1222649407264493570?s=19

There is not a wank off emoticon big enough

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is like the third time at least that he's hit someone in the nuts in addition to all the other dirty horseshit he does and he only gets one game?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/DJCarton/status/1223067970672496641?s=19

Good for him, hope he figures things out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Cole Anthony is Cam Reddish levels of bad. And much like Reddish, he'll be awful for whatever NBA team is dumb enough to draft him in the lottery.

He can actually shoot and the rest of that team is big time trash. There's never any room for him to drive because Roy plays with two true posts and the rest of the team is shooting like 25% from three so defenses know they are free to collapse on him. Also he just came back from a huge injury layoff.

I don't think he's really a great top 5 pick by normal draft standards but this draft is doo doo from a butt

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Lmao Illinois and their fans are throwing a gigantic fit because Joe Weiskamp dared to dunk on a fast break while Iowa was up 8 in the last 30 seconds. Two coaches got in Fran's face after the game and another starting yelling at Connor, but somehow Fran is the bad guy for pulling his team off the court before the handshake to avoid a fight

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 2, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They hired Martin for exactly two reasons and both of them immediately got hurt.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He recruited well at Cal but couldn't do anything with it. Jalen Brown is a borderline all star in the NBA and he looked awful under Martin.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa isn't playing well at all but Purdue isn't missing anything it's insane. Our defense is bad but they're hitting every contested 3

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PotatoJudge posted:

Iowa @ Purdue recap:

https://twitter.com/therealrobz_/status/1225232042419421184

Purdue scored on that possession.

Now they'll proceed to forget how to shoot over the next few days and poo poo the bed in Bloomington Saturday.

The ball bounced right off his face to Purdue player for a wide open three iirc, but I was barely watching by then. Just could not have possibly gone worse. Hopefully they flush it and beat the poo poo out Nebraska this weekend

Iowa dropped like 20 point in KenPom's defense rankings in one night lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The coach already resigned too, which made a whole lot of "he's making it up so he can get a transfer waiver" takes from Wisconsin fans look bad within like an hour

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bob Knight is a bad person and anyone who likes him is also bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa had an 8 minute scoring drought in the first half. With 8 minutes left in the second they're up 80-48 and already have the walk ons in. Nebraska is real bad.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
K got accidentally forced to play a modern lineup and Tre Jones is just roasting poor Anthony (who to be fair has had a great offensive game)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 9, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Oh great, Haliburton is out for the remainder of the season with a wrist fracture. Not that the Cyclones were doing anything anyway, but it's a huge blow. Not sure if Haliburton planned to enter the draft this year or not. He may stick around another season either way now. Sucks for him big time.

There is no way this changes his draft decision. He's being projected as a lottery pick and this draft is way too lovely for him to fall very far because of an injury that shouldn't be a chronic issue.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kiimo posted:

I was shocked when they said that on the broadcast. I had no idea.

edit: and I wonder what criteria they're using. I see them as #8 in ppg

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1

#28 in FG% defense

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/stats-def-fg-percent

and not in the top ten in rebounds, steals or blocks.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/steals

Where did he get this info?

Obscure college basketball website KenPom.com

They're number one in adjusted defensive efficiency which adjusts for level of competition they've faced (also pace but the Big 12 is slow af so if anything that hurts them).

https://kenpom.com/blog/ratings-glossary/

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 13, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
CJ Frederick got hurt so Iowa now has 6 healthy scholarship players and only 2 of them can score at all. So that's neat.

Garza is still absolutely incredible though. Could have been like an Elite 8 team with him playing like this and everyone healthy, but as it is they're gonna maybe limp in and get bounced immediately

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 14, 2020

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

oystertoadfish posted:

looks like there's games on CBS (Michigan Indiana) cbssn and ESPN now

e Iowa Minnesota is the kenpom game of the day looks like and it's on FS1

it's bad, Iowa had three good players and one is hurt

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kirios posted:

Garza is the best Iowa player I've ever seen MV. In another era he'd be an easy lottery pick. Fortunately for you he will probably be back.

Andre Woolridge in 97 when he led the conference in points and assists is the only one I've seen who is even close. My dad would probably stump for Ronnie Lester or Johnny Johnson over him, but it's not a long list either way.

I dunno if he will come back or not. He can't play in the NBA because he'd get run off the court defensively but he is going to make a shitload of money in Europe. He has a lot of family connections over there and dual Bosnian citizenship through his mom. Could maybe be worth taking a shot at the NBA now and then starting his pro career over there while his stock is as high as it will ever be. But if he comes back then yeah Iowa is going to be really good. They get a bunch of guys back from injury and only lose Kreiner.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That is the worst loving foul call I have ever seen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

That is the worst loving foul call I have ever seen

Thankfully the ball has never told a lie. Man Iowa needed that win.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Big Ten is going to be even crazier next year. Thankfully Penn State will fall off a cliff. I don't have a good handle on who declares beyond Oturu, and no idea on transfers. And I think Nebraska and NW lose some seniors. But most of the top teams are returning most of their players.

There are a decent number of good seniors. Maryland graduates Cowan finally and probably loses Smith as an early entry. MSU graduates Winston and could maybe lose Henry and Tillman. Michigan graduates Simpson, and I would have said a few months ago probably loses Livers but I bet he comes back now. OSU could maybe lose Wesson. Illinois could maybe lose Dosunmu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
SDSU held Garza to single digits so they have the best defense in the country and will probably win the title