Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

iospace posted:

gently caress Duke

Adun posted:

gently caress a Jayhawk.

This basically sums up all of my NCAA basketball thoughts in the first two posts and please don't look at my team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Haha

https://twitter.com/jessenewell/status/1195540183317397504

Some Kansas fans are actually mad about this I gather? I don't see how you can do anything other than laugh about it. Let the dude have his dunk and flex.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Holy poo poo I didn't expect them to be good but Mizzou is just trash.

I mean my loving god:

https://twitter.com/cdotharrison/status/1202059869370667011

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 4, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

kiimo posted:

That said I would not be at all surprised if De Sousa never suits up again

Has there ever been a player more memorable for not playing who actually played a decent amount?

e: if this were hockey both teams would have to play ironman with whoever was on the floor next game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

kalensc posted:

Yellow shirt at the end is a surprising master of de-escalation.

KU yell leaders were doing some work too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah I always thought he dropped it on his own, either that or he has the weakest hands in the world.

Still, even if he was 'reacting to being engaged' his reaction was to throw down instead of the usual shove back. Either way I'd imagine he'll be back with KU before the end of the season barring some weird Big 12 hammer coming down.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Guys, you will be disappointed to learn as I have that Mizzou basketball is not very good.

e: someone gave Mizzou a top 25 vote in the preseason for some reason. They were widely predicted to be 13th in the SEC, which might have been optimistic.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 29, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

the mean lunch lady posted:

At the start of the year, they looked good. Their offense was always bad, but at least the defense was good. Now everything is bad. There's nothing they do well.

On the bright side all I had to do was poo poo on them and they didn't get blown out by a bad Georgia team at home. And somehow actually won.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/EditorEdge/status/1223059103947395072

This is strangely beautiful. Women's BB, the final was 87-32.

I'm sure there's a more unfair sport than women's college hoops but I don't know what it is.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 31, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Mike_V posted:

I think Mizzou is looking for a new coach a year or so from now

Remember how hopeful we all were with just getting rid of Kim Anderson, then MPJ coming in? Then we were still at least kind of hopeful about Jontay. Like, we had our worries about Cuonzo but still had some good things to think about.

I'm not sure if they think they can afford to get rid of Cuonzo until the year after next. I mean, they obviously could but they claim to be running in the red. He's 100% back for next year at the least I'm sure.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

This seems like a quote that should get a guy fired?

e: first part of this quote

quote:

On postgame radio Mike Kelly asked Cuonzo Martin about the casual turnovers: "We’ve probably spent 10,000 hours on simple jump stops. But it’s being able to handle pressure situations and being under control." (more)

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1224915046142218240

I mean, you're throwing everyone on your team under the bus here as a coach. And they're all your guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Regnevelc posted:

Was Martin ever a good coach?

I think he was a legit prospect after Missouri State and I do think he got the short end of the stick at Tennessee a little bit. Since then though, yeah not really as far as I can tell.

I guess a pretty good job his first year at Mizzou considering they got nothing out of MPJ and were using a bunch of Kim Anderson's guys, but man he's trending down hard.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

The gently caress is this Clemson-Louisville game? Not complaining, but what?

Mizzou Auburn was almost as bizarre.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Mizzou literally can't fire Martin when you'd normally fire someone.

quote:

Contractually, the Tigers can’t fire Martin, who was hired Wednesday and formally introduced Monday during a press conference at Mizzou Arena, without cause until May 1, 2020.

That late-spring timing all but ensures Mizzou will ride with Martin through at least 2020-21, especially since he’s owed a $6 million buyout from May 1, 2020, until April 30, 2021.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Zags in real trouble, actually it's surely over now. Rough day at the top of the polls for everyone but Kansas, who I'm sure will be #1 now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Wiltsghost posted:

He's a Missouri grad. He's always hated Kansas.

If I recall correctly Missouri doesn't like him either. He just hates everything.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

MourningView posted:

isn't Forde a Louisville homer?

Oh yeah he cowrote Pitino's book when he was still well thought of outside of Boston, which is hilarious looking back.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

In the conference race absolutely everyone in this thread was following the UMKC KC apparently now? Women's Roos won the WAC.

First title for the school in either women's or men's basketball, and they once produced a somewhat memorable NBA player if only for his very embarrassing dunk contest showing. They were independent when Tony Dumas was there, but they still probably wouldn't have been good enough to win any conference had they been in one.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I want a broadcast of nothing but court audio

Being able to hear nothing but whatever poo poo talking goes on would be beautiful I have to admit.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

CBI got cancelled, so the huge huge crowds they regularly draw will be safe.

https://twitter.com/CBITourney/status/1237780933882847234

I'd imagine the NIT will be next if things keep going the same way. Still hard to imagine the main tourney will be cancelled, but they might do the empty arena thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Oh my god I just saw that two Nebraska football players joined the team literally yesterday and now they're quarantined with the rest of the team.

Like, imagine that being your college basketball career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Hoiberg was released from the hospital and doesn't have Corona according to sportscenter

Yeah just the flu I saw. Still could be pretty bad news for him with his other health problems, but good news in general.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Also all spring sports it sounds like. Which I guess is obvious if they're canceling their biggest money maker.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Can’t believe the extent the world went to stop Dayton from winning.

I just discovered Dayton lost a national championship game in the 60s wondering if this was their best team ever.

So...still maybe? Record's better this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

On the bright side here Duke didn't make the NCAA tournament for the second time in 36 years.

Honestly surprised it's the second time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

kiimo posted:

Udoka is going to positively destroy all in his path as a 5th year senior

And then something will happen that prevents him from playing in the Big 12 tournament.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

ESPNU is showing some classic games tonight. Currently watching Hasheem Thabeet tear up Syracuse. This is the marathon game that went a ridiculous amount of overtimes.

This is playing again in about an hour if anyone missed it and needs to kill some time.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Jubs posted:

Watching clips of last years tournament. I forgot how close a lot of the games were. Duke should have lost twice.

That Duke/UCF game is something I'm going to try to catch on ESPNU assuming they're going to play old tournament games soon. I guess they might not have the rights though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Mike_V posted:

Mizzou had 2 of its top recruits from last year transfer, so it's gotta be a do or die year for Cuonzo.

Sounds like Jackson at least largely transferred because of playing time. Which is....pretty damned frustrating because the team sucked anyway and he was at least occasionally fun to watch when he did play.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Tarleton State who are apparently joining the WAC next year hired Billie Gillispie, if you want a "oh hey, I remember that coach" moment.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

I really thought he was going to be a pretty good coach after that A&M stint.

One of many things I have been wrong about in life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

kiimo posted:

Enjoy the game everyone

Just as well we didn't play the games imo.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

e:fb

Apparently Missouri will play a home and home with Missouri State starting in a couple of years oh this year? First time they've played at all since 1998, first time they'll play in Springfield since 1941.

I feel a resounding 'meh.' I mean, I think all states with multiple D1 schools should have a thing where the flagship university has to at least shuffle through the other schools playing one a year if there's not already a rivalry game. But as far as actually being interested in watching the game I feel like the last time I'd have been interested in that was when Cuonzo Martin was coaching the other team.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

In other KU news today:

quote:

KU was repeatedly chided by the NCAA in its letter, which included the organization claiming the school “in taking its defiant posture in this case, is indifferent to how its alleged violations may have adversely impacted other NCAA institutions who acted in compliance with NCAA legislation.”

Notably, the NCAA used repeated language to assert that Adidas representatives — such as T.J. Gassnola and Jim Gatto — could be considered boosters under NCAA bylaws.

That argument is critical to the case. Both sides agree that Gassnola made payments to the family members of KU players Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa, but Self and KU assistant coach Kurtis Townsend have repeatedly denied having knowledge of those transactions. Gassnola, during sworn testimony in the FBI’s case regarding corruption in college basketball, also stated he made the payments without the KU coaches’ knowledge.

The NCAA, however, states that Gatto’s testimony at the same trial — along with video and text documents — refute Gassnola’s claim. The NCAA even went as far to point out that Self, Townsend and assistant coach Jerrance Howard were seen sitting next to Gassnola during an ESPN2 broadcast of one of Preston’s high school games in 2016, while Adidas also footed the approximately $250,000 bill for Self’s Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame induction party.

“In short, there is overwhelming factual information demonstrating that Adidas, Gassnola and Gatto promoted the institution’s interests and, therefore, are boosters,” the NCAA wrote.

KU, in a statement Thursday, disagreed.

“For the NCAA enforcement staff to allege that the University should be held responsible for these payments is a distortion of the facts,” KU said, “and a gross misapplication of NCAA Bylaws and case precedent.”

In addition, KU stated that “Chancellor (Douglas) Girod, Jeff Long and KU stand firmly behind Coach Self, his staff and our men’s basketball program, as well as our robust compliance program.”

You can find the NCAA statement of the case and reply here if you're bored enough to read it.

I don't know, historically the worst thing you could do was play chicken with the NCAA as far as penalties go. But after how they did Mizzou last year after they complied every step of the way I see no reason not to tell them to gently caress off as much as possible. From a purely trying to avoid punishment perspective I mean, not about how dumb the whole setup is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

As far as I can tell this means absolutely nothing both for Zion and for the aggro attorney, but sure let's blow this stupid thing wide open

https://twitter.com/WALLACHLEGAL/status/1259534474049662982

I suppose this is all meant to attack Zion's status as a student athlete, but if he was not the direct beneficiary of payments without supporting transfers does that blah blah blah everything is so incredibly dumb and I just want Coach K but not Zion to suffer.

I'd also like the amazingly predatory agency to suffer too I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Eddie Sutton has died at 84.

I have no real thoughts here other than I'm amazed he made it this long.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Just in case gonna fire off one last gently caress Duke in here.

(and gently caress Kansas too)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

i don’t have the athletic but i assume it’s the bad abusive kind of misconduct and not the cool player paying misconduct?

Here's a link that I don't think is paywalled if you want to read about it.

e: Ha, ok.

quote:

Following the incident [where he punched a player], Morris and multiple other players said that team leader Fred VanVleet, currently with the NBA’s Toronto Raptors, told an assistant the players would not practice the following day unless Marshall apologized to Morris.

“He comes down in the film room and says, ‘First off, I just want to apologize to you and he pointed at me. Then he said, “We good? We good? We good? All right, let’s move on.”

Nothing like a heartfelt apology.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 9, 2020

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Billy Tubbs died. I remember hating him but not why. I do remember his teams were pretty damned fun.

https://twitter.com/OU_MBBall/status/1323018330689646609

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1326367582635646977

Huh, I was sure they were just going to pretend everything was fine and power through.