Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/1192938534782603264?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oh apparently it was 2018, not 2008

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cassius Winston's brother got killed by a train.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Apparently Notre Dame barely escaped the hoomos 4 lyfe in one of the most bizarre finishes ever
https://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2019/11/22/20977762/notre-dave-vs-toledo-wedgie-buzzer-beater-bad-beat-over-under-charge-call

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The spirit of Thomas Walkup smiles on the Lumberjacks

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So that's Sparty, Kentucky, and Duke with embarrassing early season losses

#1 Louisville?, ew

Ours was easily the least embarrassing so put us back at #1 baby

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Going across sports, but is this the biggest upset since Appy State v. Michigan in 2007, or is this even bigger?

Tough to say. Duke hadnít lost a nonconference home game since 2000, but in basketball if one team catches fire and the other has an off night, tables can turn. App State was an FCS team but they were the best one. SFA is usually the best team in the Southland but KenPom had them in the 250s this year. That Michigan team turned out to be not that great. We donít know how Duke will end up.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The remarkable thing about the UMBC upset is that they blew Virginia out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MSU isnít really playing like a highly ranked team but also this is a pretty standard start to the season for them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Online Sixers fans drive me nuts but ever since that Deadspin article about Eagles fans that read like an anthropological study including a 4th and Jawn podcast and a man named Classic Jeff confirming that there is only one Karate Mike, Iíve determined that Philly is our greatest city.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

The main takeaway I had from MSU-Michigan is that Cassius Winston is a loving Dude. No idea why the NBA hasn't been interested in him.

Because heís one of the most ďgreat college playerĒ type college players around. Really undersized, super slow release, not particularly athletic. I would love if he was the next Andre Miller but heíll probably be playing in the Mediterranean.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol Memphis lost by 40?!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

We just suck on the road this year I guess. Xavier Tillman with extreme lemon booty in this game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

This MSU team just doesnít have it this year, which means itís going to the final four

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I hope it continues through the whole tourney just because a final four in an empty football stadium would be hilarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Michigan State wouldíve won this year because of the unstoppable force of The Narrative re: Cassius Winston

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

NCAA has granted another year of eligibility to all spring sport athletes. Decision on winter sports (basketball) could come soon. Could have a major impact for a lot of schools if that happens, especially teams with really good but not NBA level seniors.

Itís a nice gesture for another shot at the tournament but they all played a full regular season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

A season with no postseason is no entire season

For many schools it is

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Howling

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kiimo posted:

Some NBA media guy predicted Zion would win four MVPs in his career.

He's not even going to get rookie of the year.

Heís played less than 20 games, who loving cares if he doesnít win ROY? Anyone with eyes can see heís the best player in the class.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

That was a little different because I don't think anyone expected him to be the number 1 pick until it actually happened but yeah

That UNLV team was also at least tournament caliber, which cannot be said of the other examples.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Konstantin posted:

I'm surprised this doesn't happen with small schools. Go to East Bumfuck State, get treated like a king with the coaches deferring to you, get under the table cash and stuff, run over a bunch of scrubs that are worse than elite high school players, then enter the draft after a year.

East Bumfuck State doesn't have the under the table cash. Also it's more fun to win a lot of games on better teams. Goons love to look at sports the way play video games.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

X is a great college player but he's undersized and doesn't really have the outside game to make up for it. Feels like he's destined for Europe. Aaron Henry is coming back unsurprisingly.

Tillman also has two kids so, you know, go get that paper.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Feels like the Michigan State players usually pan out pretty well in the league to be honest.

I think their success rate is about the same as everybody else's, it's just not always the guys you expect. Draymond Green seemed like the most Great College Player guy ever but became an all-star and elite defender. Bryn Forbes being even an NBA rotation player is also surprising, but if you can shoot the hell out of the ball you always have a chance. Meanwhile Denzel Valentine sucks and the jury is still out on Miles Bridges. Adreian Payne was trash. Some of Izzo's most promising players also kind of fell apart before their college careers were even up (Raymar Morgan, Durrell Summers).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah, I'm just comparing it to Kansas where the only players to actually be worth a poo poo were Embiid and... Oubre I guess? It's been dire.

That rubber band poo poo sounds like the type of advice I got in elementary school in the 90s from teachers who weren't trained to recognize trauma in children, definitely more unacceptable from collegiate staff. And the sexual conduct is a yikes. A real yikes.

Devonte Graham for MIP baby

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tadashi posted:

N:A former UK Tubby Smith player is about to get another NBA ring alongside the first Calipari player from UK to get a ring. I'm pretty sure no former UK players under Pitino ever won as a player?

V:Tubby Smith was obviously the best UK coach of his generation.

Antoine Walker was on the 06 Heat

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

At least it's single elimination I guess

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Presumably Oakland is at closer to full strength now right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Scoring 95 on just 28% shooting and losing by 80 is truly the most buckwild stat I think Iíve ever seen

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MSU/Virginia canceled due to coronavirus at UVA

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Shooting like 20% against Minnesota was obviously an outlier. This is not a great MSU team but theyíre not gonna miss the tournament or something.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Completely forgot there was an MSU game on last night. Holding your opponent to 45 points seems like a pretty good way to win!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm glad they picked the season where I couldn't possibly be less interested in college basketball to have their worst season since the 90s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Letís go the Golden Grizzlies

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rooting for Loyola (MD) to find their way into the tournament with a total of 7 wins on the season

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I like the ratings conspiracy and also taking any opportunity to be annoyed with Syracuse

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol that Gonzaga got put in a region where it beat the 2, 3 and 4 seeds in the regular season and it turns out they wonít even have to rematch any of them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Didnít West Texas A&M become UTEP? Thereís another one now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metapod posted:

Why would Beard go to Texas?

Money and not living in Lubbock.