Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

vcu looks okay but also st francis isnít v good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

https://twitter.com/betmybookie/status/1194759051567083520?s=20
(VCU also won in Will Wade's contractually-mandated return to Richmond)

lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

man gently caress uva

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lmao who the gently caress is paying for the privilege of playing a year of college basketball

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iospace posted:

Rutgers is better than Duke.

Sorry, I don't make the rules

facts is facts

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Metapod posted:

For those reading this, Memphis won

lmbo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

this season has been loving nuts

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

sorry if you root for any team thatís not a mid-major youíre a jerk, i donít make the rules

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

another week, another batch of upsets

college basketball

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

rutgers is a historically average basketball program

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i will admit michigan lives rent free in my head because i hate mitch mcgary to this day

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

you shouldnít punch people in basketball imo

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

curried lamb of God posted:

Shaka Smart has to be done, right?

that buyout tho

heís been a loving mess at texas; heís either unwilling or unable to get blue chips to run his press and he doesnít seem like a great xís and oís guy outside of that and has shown no improvement on that end since he was hired, and while heís good at recruiting all his recruits seem to do better in the nba than the ncaa

if itís just based on performance, yeah, he should have been fired a year ago, but i guess the question is who you even go after at this point: beard i guess? scott drew? craig smith? try hiring another vcu coach and hope it works out better this time?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

He completely abandoned the style that made VCU a terror to play, Texas is routinely among the slowest teams in the country. Itís sort of bewildering.

pshh why would you want an offense that gets mo bamba or jaxson hayes out on the break

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

torb main posted:

What a loving masterpiece:

To be honest this is exactly what the frankly stale KU-KSU rivalry needed, also imho KSU deserved it for the punk rear end steal and running off the bench

(But Silvio should be suspended for a while for escalating and almost beating someone's rear end with a stool too)

looks like a carvaggio painting, beautiful

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

looks like a carvaggio painting, beautiful

can confirm definitively

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol Memphis lost by 40?!

i was ready to dunk on memphis much like the golden hurricanes did repeatedly last night but tulsaís 5-1 in aac play and other than two really embarrassing losses has been pretty solid this season

still inexcusable (atrocious defense AND offense) but itís not like they lost to chaminade or something

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

I feel like 90% of the league feels this way. Is Baylor the only good team in the entire league?

i donít think memphis is worried about how talented it is

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he was just giving some tourism advice for thailand

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ColdBlooded posted:

I'm not sure what's the dumbest take:

Purdue being good
or
Nojel Eastern being an NBA player.

Both takes are exceedingly dumb. Though in fairness, only Eastern's mom thinks he's NBA calibre so she's a bit biased.

Edit: To avoid the dreaded triple post, Purdue somehow won tonight - are still loving terrible though

nojel eastern is really good defensively but hoo boy he's just a complete non factor on offense and doesn't even have a jump shot to maybe keep him on the floor

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vcu is 17-7, pretty good

top 25 in kenpomís adjusted defense, thatís really good, please do not ask about our offense

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

at a bar right now grabbing some hangover food and thereís a pitt-cuse womenís game on; their combined record is 19-31

this is awful how is this the only game on right now

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

if sdsu goes undefeated then the ncaa better fuckin respect them and give them the top overall seed

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i think at worst rutgers ends up in the play in game against a pretty good mid major that didnít manage to win their conference

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

iospace posted:

I'm more surprised at Nebraska.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

a shame that a white person in 2020 managed to not know whether or not they could say the n-word when quoting someone else

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Peanut President posted:

Evansville did indeed lose today. First team to beat #1 in the country and then lose their entire conference schedule

loving lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1234227624085524481?s=19

Yep, that's an entirely reasonable batch of game results. Has anyone ever heard of a 6-team share of a championship banner? I remember Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State all splitting one year.

only penn state and rutgers would be upsets, and not huge ones either

thatíd be loving bananas

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

If you want to watch a show get on a national basketball board and say that Indiana isn't a blue blood and prepare for fireworks

i mean they arenít, they havenít made a final four in almost 20 years and their last championship was in the 80s and theyíve only won their (pretty soft, relatively speaking) conference twice in the past decade

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

lol what

is this post from 2004

in the past decade? itís been really competitive this year but overall iíd put them in the middle of the p5 pack solidly below the big 12 and the acc and ahead of the sec and pac 12

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

vcu, who definitely wouldíve won an at-large bid after going on a tear in the a-10 tourney that didnít happen, would probably have gone on a cinderella run after our threes starting falling again

2020 elite eight appearance, eliminated by sdsu

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Lawrence's hometown is one of the hardest hit places in Georgia. 40+ cases stemming from one church event.

but what if someone buys trevor lawrence a sandwich or something in gratitude

can't have that

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

A number of universities are starting to have conversations, mostly still quiet ones, about not bringing students back in the Fall or having in person classes until 2021. Strong likelihood those conversations get a lot louder over the next month.

itís looking like september is the earliest possible time for things to go back to ďnormalĒ (assuming everyone follows quarantine guidelines until then which, uh, yeah)

i think a shorter college season (maybe conference only play plus tournaments followed by march madness) is the best case scenario

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

kiimo posted:

I feel like the sad fact is that 90% or more of all potential lottery picks fall in drafts after playing a year in college. But maybe that's just because there has only been like one player at the college I root for that has elevated his stock in one year, and that person is Noted Freak Joel Embiid

i think itís fairly common for guys to play themselves from the top 10 to a no doubt top 3/first overall pick (zion, kat)

embiid was unprecedented but iíve also never seen another basketball player learn how to play basketball in real time on a game-by-game basis much less one learn that rapidly; the player he was opening night and the player he was by the time he hurt his back were totally different

i doubt iíll ever see it again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

ku would've been cool as the world's largest middle finger to the ncaa

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Actually the funniest thing is that the football team, which hasn't won more than three games in a season since...gently caress I don't even know when, also got hit with a violation as part of the investigation.

EDIT: I looked it up. 2009. Kansas football has managed to win three or fewer games ten straight years, which would seem impossible for a P5 school to do on the face of it.

having watched kansas play football i would say not only is it possible, but likely

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

whatever he got it wasn't enough

I guess it was convenient that coach K and RJ pre-vacated the title he should have won though.

lmao

Adun posted:

Lol nothing is going to happen to Duke or Coach K. Knowing the NCAA all that will happen is that Nate James or Jeff Capel will somehow be blamed for everything

Also I would be disappointed if Duke didn’t have some great bag men given our alums have probably managed to lobby it into a tax write off and respect to Zion for getting that Adidas AND Nike money.

it is insane to me that dukeís never been caught cheating because that would imply basketball is more important to unc than it is to duke

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Hell, nothing's going to happen to Kansas. Never cooperate, never surrender.

the ncaa putting out a press release to the effect of ďweíre really loving mad at you kansas you big meanie jerks please take this more seriouslyĒ is the most effete limp wristed response imaginable and reinforces the idea that the ncaa basically canít punish you without you rolling over and letting it happen

compliance is for chumps

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Metapod posted:

Texas tech abuse happening

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/sports/ncaaw/big12/2020/08/05/marlene-stollings-texas-tech-program-culture-abuse-players-say/5553370002/

This is the least bad thing in the article but also somehow not the most ridiculous.

Emma Merriweather, a 6-5 center, said she was admonished by coaches for displaying symptoms of depression, for which she was eventually diagnosed. She was also allegedly told by assistant coach Nikita Lowry Dawkins to snap a rubber band on her wrist when she had a negative thought.

WTF IS THAT SUPPOSED TO DO

thatís a thing you do to avoid depersonalizing but thatís not, like, something your coach should tell you to do; for depression itís basically the equivalent of someone spraying you in the face with water and saying ďno, badĒ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

are these new impermissible payments or are they part of the simmons investigation

either way big ups to former vcu head coach will wade for his criminal empire of actually paying basketball players for their effort