Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

this is such a transparent attempt to recoup the lost money from last season's ncaa tourney by shoving it all into as short a time period as possible before a second wave of coronavirus hits

but

it's so fuckin cool god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also they specified "a" ncaa tournament and not "the" ncaa tournament, so i have a feeling they're double dipping

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i don’t have the athletic but i assume it’s the bad abusive kind of misconduct and not the cool player paying misconduct?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

hold steady

don’t cooperate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i wouldn’t be shocked to see him pop up at a bottom tier pac 12 school where he can keep a relatively low profile for a year or two before the program takes off again

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oh good that will save you from the ncaa

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Detroit pulled out of their games in Lexington this weekend, only notable because it prevents Brad Calipari from returning to Rupp to play against his dad.

I don't think there's any way any team plays their full schedule this year. Even if a team manages to avoid an outbreak, someone on their schedule will get it. It wouldn't surprise me to see last minute rescheduling throughout the season just so teams have someone to play.

Why are we doing this again? Money obviously. But maybe Pitino was right, just push the start back to January, and do May Madness when hopefully one of these vaccines is more widely available. Probably too late now though with games starting this week.

i agree it’s stupid but i can sort of understand the logic the ncaa is using here
-you have to start sometime
-a compressed schedule even if it’s conference only is really going to gently caress up any chance these guys have of even paying lip service to the “student” part of student-athlete
-may madness would destroy the exam schedule way worse than the bowl schedule, and not just for the people playing in it

it’s very stupid but i can understand the incredibly stupid logic behind it if you approach it from the perspective of “how do we make a lot of money as soon as possible and wrap it up in a veneer of respectability”

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

auburn does not want the ncaa poking around any longer than they have to, especially if it might leak into other sports

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/1332389673226940430?s=21

The fun is starting early this season

Edit: didn’t realize there was a gdt whoops

that's commitment to branding in pandemic, good for them

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that a/to ratio is miserable, he's gotta bring that up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Katana_Warrior posted:

I just noticed that Greenville took 74 3's lmaoooooooo i love it i love it

murray state took THIRTEEN

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

they dropped 173 points and only hit FIVE THREES

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Yo wtf

https://twitter.com/L_Martinez13/status/1333487825027813380?s=19

Texas is playing right now and I thought they got a new coach!

quarantine’s been hard on all of us

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Traxis posted:

This guy looks like he was born to play for Duke

https://twitter.com/hochman/status/1336500210613309444?s=19

man looks like he makes bedroom pop and has written a public apology to the women he was hurtful to in the past

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kim Jong Il posted:

So apparently Ron Harper Jr. is playing every game like he's against Iowa now. (Which is not a knock against them, just he's always been lights out against them.) Dude is going to be a first round pick and declare, isn't he.

he’s on the fringe of the first round but he could easily raise that if he keeps playing like this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

I mean this is definitely a case where it's still way too early to know and it could very easily just be an underlying heart condition he's had for awhile that no one ever found. But the fact that we still really don't know very much about the long term impact of covid is just more reason to be ultra cautious about it and not play

and i’m sure it’s the furthest thing from his grandfather’s and anyone else’s mind right now but keyontae johnson was going to play in the nba at some point, and instead of earning a few million dollars, he’s barely conscious after being put in a medically induced coma

it’s beyond hosed up

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

that loving rules

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

northwestern is ranked 19

mmhmm very normal season we have going on

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

michigan is a top 5 team

quote this when they get a hundo dropped on them by, like, purdue

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

wow bold take really going out on a limb

they’re only ranked 7 right now

when will the ap start respecting the power 5

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kirios posted:

They should be #2 right after Gonzaga. It's the reality of being ranked way too low at the start of the season. It normalizes over the course of the year and means jack poo poo for the NCAA tournament seeding so calm down Declan.

buddy i’m steamin over big ten basketball

i am very upset that the wolverines are not receiving the adequate respect they deserve after rolling over the mighty badger, go blue

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Skip, you KNOW this season shouldn't have happened

BUT

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1351230666877399045?s=19

lmao

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Georgia had lost its last 14 games to Kentucky.

LOL

https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/1352075433165131777

them dawgs is hell

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Big East was so great back in the day.

LOL. I had forgotten the coach Chaney threatened to kill was Calipari.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6jUpHClybQ

“italian son of a bitch” is a beautiful turn of phrase

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

free jaden springer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

bullying wyoming and air force hardly seems fair

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Check the clock for when Dave Pasch got Bill Walton Bingo.

https://twitter.com/ContextFreeCBB/status/1360078759722950659

i love bill walton so much

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

haha Jalen Johnson opted out of the rest of Duke's pointless season to get ready for the draft instead and quite a few Blue Devil fans are taking it exactly as well as you'd imagine.

supposedly there’s some behind the scenes stuff there but i don’t think anyone would blame him for just sitting out and skipping the floor slapping intensity of a .500 acc also ran

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

please do not take shine from the glorious wildcat

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chief McHeath posted:

I mean, Zion is a freak and does things no one of his size should be doing, but I think best college basketball player of all time might be a stretch.

by the numbers it was one of the most dominant seasons ever

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

he uses up all his energy on the defensive end where he falcon punches his way through the screener’s balls

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

reading that “i’m sorry” in the john mulaney voice and cackling

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

also between beilein getting himself fired from the cavs and this, there needs to be a term like “the gamer word” but for bad, racially tinged college coaching analogies

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

Creighton coach got suspended, may yet get canned
https://twitter.com/TheAndyKatz/status/1367678855872413704?s=20

it seems that greg mcdermott will be leaving the plantation

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Regnevelc posted:

I agree.

People were pumping Billy Donovan as a legit option, which turned out false. I think Howard seemed underwhelming given the state of the program at the time.

I liked the hire, but didn’t expect him to win the Big Ten and have the #1 recruiting class in year 2.

to me the knocks on juwan were he didn’t have ncaa experience and the hire felt like another “oh michigan decided they needed a Michigan Man again” but he’s crushed it from the jump

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

autobid watch: Liberty (ugh) is in and presumably very dangerous again this year. Another dangerous team would be Belmont, playing for the OVC title tonight against Morehead St. Tomorrow the stronger teams for NCAA chaos are Winthrop (vs. Campbell in the Big South, though it's hard to pull against the Camels) and then the first bid thief potential for the year in the MVC, where Loyola will presumably dismantle whoever they play, but would still get an at-large if they lose. (I don't see Drake getting in without winning the title, but maybe?)

Win or lose I think Loyola is going to be grotesquely underseeded.

vcu is 18-6 so they need to win the a10 to cinch an ncaa spot even with name recognition; bonaventure is kind of a paper tiger but they did beat davidson twice (by a combined 6 points)

vcu is playing davidson tonight and that game will be worth watching if only to see nah'shon hyland and kellan grady match up

also st. bonaventure is playing right now in some hot and heavy mid major action

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

My friends are going nuts posting images of michigan a half game back in the standings, lol

Who gives a poo poo about conference titles. I think I stopped caring about them like 20 years ago when a decent illini team was co champs despite having a head to head win because there wasn't a tie breaker, something like that

Edit hot drat I remembered right, co champs with MSU , went 1-0 against them. That was the team that had 6 players foul out against gilbert arenas and arizona

honestly i like stupid poo poo like this where everyone has a chip on their shoulder over something that doesn't even matter

also with the h2h victory illinois should claim whatever it wants, scoreboard bicth

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

for some reason the a10 championship isn’t until next saturday, and st. bonnie and vcu are both likely to get in, so it’s a battle for the a10 conference title and getting either the 10th or 11th seed :effort:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

drat that’s some dynamic graphics design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

elentar posted:

All that's left for tomorrow is the AAC, the Big Ten, and SEC.

please respect the atlantic 10, maybe the third or fourth best conference on the eastish coast