Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers looked like poo poo the first two weeks, including a bad loss to St. Bonaventure in Canada. They've blown out crappy teams two games in a row, and now the real OOC schedule is starting in that they play two teams worth a poo poo period OOC this year in probably the worst NC OOC in the country. The only excuse they have is South Carolina pulled out of a game, which led to St. Bonaventure. No one really knows how good they are, but they have a decent chance to knock off a mediocre Wisconsin team at home. But they're better than Duke apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers/SHU is usually a close game regardless of how they're looking otherwise. SHU was looking very good this year, but they lost their PF in the ISU game, which is probably why ISU won and by that margin. That's a big help to Rutgers of course.

My assessment of Rutgers so far is that they're starting to play a little better, but the strategy of playing garbage OOC teams every year means keeps making them blow games early in the year that they shouldn't because they don't get anything out of those except weeks of apathy on everyone's part.

Bigs: Myles Johnson is good, but he's really easy to get in foul trouble which everyone is doing. Shaq Carter is a good offensive player who can't play defense, and there's a backup center who can only block shots who isn't trusted at all. I can't fathom why they didn't try to get another body here after Omoruyi left. They badly, badly miss him. If healthy, he's a conference player of the year candidate for Oregon next year.

Wings: Yeboah is pretty good and people don't understand why he doesn't play more. Ron Harper is improved, but he's not at the level he was playing at in the second half of last year. Caleb McConnell is a pretty good sixth man who probably plays too much, solid 3 and D guy.

Guards: Geo Baker is still massively miscast as their lead guy. The problem is they thought Texas transfer Jacob Young (who's a sick athlete) would come in and take over PG, but he can't shoot at all. Montez Mathis is a really good defender and has improved offensively. Paul Mulcahy is a solid freshman PG who might start next year.

Yeboah is the only senior who actually plays, so whether or not they'll improve with an actual veteran team next year depends on recruiting any decent bigs who can play. Johnson/Harper/Mathis/Baker/Mulcahy as a 3G lineup with a bench of McConnell and Young isn't terrible, but they'll have the exact same problem as this year without another big who can give them 20 min a game. I think the backcourt will be a lot better with Mulcahy as the primary creator instead of Baker or Young.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers opened up a huge early lead today and never looked back. Myles Powell may have suffered a concussion 4 minutes before halftime and didn't come back. It's definitely closer if he did, and this game is a toss up if they're healthy. A huge win for Rutgers and the Big Ten in terms of RPI, KenPom, and other statistical rankings though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kim Jong Il posted:

Yeboah is pretty good and people don't understand why he doesn't play more.

It's two games after a bunch of crap, but his numbers for the year are good. He's a solid #2 or #3 option. Usually grad transfers fall off a lot when moving up a level, so far he's better than he was in the CAA or wherever he was.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Nova is actually insufferable, they're a basketball version of Notre Dame.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers looked like poo poo for most of OOC play, but has turned it on against Seton Hall and Wisconsin, and then destroyed Nebraska moreso than others have, so most statistical models love them right now. The Big Ten is loving murder, but at this point deserves 10 bids, whether or not it'll actually get them.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Geo isn't the best player, he just plays the most because he has the most seniority. Honestly, I think he's the fifth or sixth best player on the team, and it's actually good that he's not playing these games.

So Roy Williams is whining about his team, and Pikiell is kicking rear end with 0 star guys no one ever heard of. Myles Johnson might turn into a lottery pick next year, and no one had ever heard of him before Rutgers signed him.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

It's Myles Johnson. When he's not in foul trouble, and he hasn't been in a while, he's insanely good.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers has been great the past four games. It's four games. But IF they keep playing like this, they've been looking great. The story of this team is Steve Pikiell is really good at scouting and development, the team is a bunch of misfits nobody wanted for the most part. They've been improving markedly each year, them being top 40 isn't weird at all, they were supposed to be top 40 preseason until Omoruyi transferred.

Rutgers was a very good program in the 60s/70s.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Coco13 posted:

The Big 10 is so tough the Buckeyes are 11th nationally and 13th conferencelly.

But it's pretty much all the past few weeks, where they've looked like poo poo. They're not the same team.

Troy Queef posted:

so there's been serious talk of the B1G being a 10-bid league this year, and is that at all possible?

i mean off the top of my head Mich St, Indiana, Penn St, Ohio St, Michigan are all locks, Rutgers is looking good, loving Illinois might just screw around and get a bid...who else?

(and if this means it denies us of the Four-Bid Atlantic 10 I will be angry, because it looks like it'll return to being the 3 Bid League this year with Dayton and VCU having pretty much sewn up bids)

IMO every KenPom top 40 team should get a bid. Which means 12 right now, but OSU, Indiana, and PSU are trending down I think. The committee is going to struggle with teams like Purdue and Minnesota that have a lot of losses against a murderball schedule. It'll be bullshit if they end up with 8 bids or so because of WINS.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2020

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Rutgers really didn't play well yesterday but they were within 3 of a decent team on the road...

Myles Johnson got in foul trouble early. I don't understand why PSU/Wisconsin didn't try that. It worked for Illinois and MSU, and it'll be interesting to see which other teams actually bother watching tape and try it.

Given no Myles, it was actually a pretty impressive performance, albeit they blew it late, with help from some bad calls. Illinois is good though.

The +- numbers with him on or off the court must be staggering. It's a completely different team with him, albeit they're pretty locked in regardless.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

If you want teams that had bullshit calls against them, that's Pikiell's Rutgers the past few years, not blue blood Michigan. And what did Rutgers do? They just punched Big Ten teams harder until they forced the refs to respect them.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

For the record, Myles Johnson's defense destroyed Oturu today. Him vs. Garza will be interesting. Rutgers/Iowa is as big of a clash of styles as you can get.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Kirios posted:

Looking forward to the top 25 matchup of Rutgers vs. Iowa this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Livers is good, but most teams have injuries. Maybe it's coaching, even if some of that is losing your assistant who knew how to coach defense. Or is it forbidden to suggest maybe a first time HC will have somewhat of a learning curve? And not saying he's total trash, just he's not going to be Beilein on day one.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

I'm surprised Indiana beat MSU. Not surprised by Minn/OSU. Minn is going to stick around until the end, and I kinda think Purdue will too although they've had it rough lately. Between the Minn/Indiana wins, and PSU, the dream of 10 Big Ten bids is still alive after all.

OSU just sucks though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

Andddd Zavier Simpson is suspended for the Nebraska game. Michigan is going to lose to Nebraska, lol.

Hoiberg is a good coach. They got RU to look as lovely as they did in OOC play, mainly by playing zone, where RU has maybe 2 guys who can shoot and beat it. Shocked no one else has tried it. Purdue is worrying, because they're a lot better than their record.

Regnevelc posted:

Pretty embarrassing to lose like that.

This team needs a talent infusion. Luckily that is coming next year.

That might be a record for moving past everything that worked during the Beilein years.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

I don't think Michigan is bad at all, the Big Ten is murder. I was just commenting on fan expectations. It used to be recruiting doesn't really matter (until kinda near the end), Beilein will coach them up. (This is now Rutgers, unless we get Cliff Omoruyi.) Now it's must have all the starzzz.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers is kind of running on fumes now, although part of that was Purdue got Myles Johnson in foul trouble again.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

It's not apologizing. They're just not DESTROYING teams like they were a few weeks ago.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Yeah but Purdue is a real team that has just played a bad schedule. They have good players... I didn't expect Rutgers to destroy them. I mean they are still higher than us in the Kenpom rankings....

I agree, but I also said that Myles getting in foul trouble hurt them. Rutgers is good and I never implied they weren't. Just that these games, against good teams, are going down to the wire now.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Purdue is good, they're not getting destroyed in these losses. Minnesota is kinda good in the same logic, and I would have said the same about Wisconsin before King left.

Ohio State is not good though.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

The Big Ten is the one who scheduled the game. Rutgers was forced to give up a home game to play Wisconsin at MSG a few years ago, where of course the refs hosed them over.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Same reason we hate playing at Giants Stadium. It's not a good college environment and really hurts our homecourt advantage, which has been great this year, and was great in the past when the team was even halfway decent. I don't think you'll find many teams that like playing off campus.

The alternative is our 8k seat gym where the fans are right on top of the court and screaming the whole game, it's a nightmare to play at and a huge advantage.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

But I thought Rutgers already owns the NYC market

No one actually said this. Rutgers had the largest plurality of college football fans in the NYC metro area, which includes most of NJ, before Kyle Flood ruined the football program, and will again once Schiano undoes the damage. This translates to a shitload of money just because NYC is so large, and the Big Ten Network was easily carried on NYC cable stations after years-long fights in the Midwest, contrary to every single prediction Big Ten fans made.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers had huge problems guarding the 3 in OOC play, and then it was completely a non-issue until the Nebraska game then today. Michigan doesn't have Livers, but has two feast or famine shooters in Brooks and Johns who are torching Rutgers.

That's been an issue all year. What I'm more concerned with is Myles Johnson is usually a stud when he doesn't play Garza or get in foul trouble. Why is he getting dominated today?

Also, Rutgers will lose a home game to play MSU at MSG next year, which I don't really like.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 2, 2020

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

NOW it's panic time.

edit: Rutgers survives.

Kim Jong Il fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 10, 2020

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Baker plays heroball iso bullshit and I actually think he's part of the problem on offense.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Who's getting fired this year? Barring NCAA violations related ones, where I haven't been following.

Probably:

Danny Manning (Wake Forest)
Chris Collins (Northwestern)

Maybe:

Josh Pastner (Georgia Tech)
Jim Christian (BC)
Cuonzo Martin (Mizzou)
Shaka Smart (Texas)

Probably not:

Jim Larrinaga (Miami)
Bruce Weber (KSU)

I mainly care because I don't want anyone to hire Pikiell. Teams could swoon over the next few weeks, but I'd be a lot more nervous if some other ones opened.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

The Big Ten is going to be even crazier next year. Thankfully Penn State will fall off a cliff. I don't have a good handle on who declares beyond Oturu, and no idea on transfers. And I think Nebraska and NW lose some seniors. But most of the top teams are returning most of their players.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Michigan is good, especially with Livers. I think part of it is Rutgers coming back to Earth/running out of steam/whatever you want to call it. I still think they should be a lock for the tournament with one more win (and am optimistic they'll get two), but the committee are not very bright.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

It should, but there's some lingering doubt because they don't have any non-Nebraska road wins, because all the voters are dumb.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Rutgers is making the NCAA tournament for the first time in 29 years, holy gently caress.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao northwestern annihilated a nationally ranked penn state team for their first non-hoiberg big ten win

Part of it was Watkins being suspended, but Pat Chambers is not a good coach, and they are going to fall off hard next year when their seniors are gone.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

He's fills a need on next year's team as the #2 big. Let's be realistic though, he's a little raw, but he'll be a shot blocker and a rebounder right away. Look at how Myles progressed. Give Cliff a year in the system, and in 2021 he'll be really good.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

But Pikiell doesn't really need elite recruits. He has a **** wing from Missouri committed for next year, but there aren't a ton of articles saying that he's going to have a local breakthrough.

It's also a mistake to think that they're going to dramatically improve linearly based on better players. Fred Hill and Eddie Jordan had way better recruits than Pikiell did. We don't know what those players would do with Pikiell, but clearly Pikiell is good with scouting and player development.

The main benefit with Omoruyi, who's not really a local, he just prepped here, is that it was a big positional need. Johnson is good though. Omoruyi is going to play like 15-20 min a game next year, they're just going to be much better minutes than what Shaq Carter gave us.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Adun posted:

Lol nothing is going to happen to Duke or Coach K. Knowing the NCAA all that will happen is that Nate James or Jeff Capel will somehow be blamed for everything

Also I would be disappointed if Duke didnít have some great bag men given our alums have probably managed to lobby it into a tax write off and respect to Zion for getting that Adidas AND Nike money.

Rutgers fans are still pissed about hiring Jay Williams's mom 20+ years later.

And TBH I don't care about that so much as K being so sanctimonious.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

I don't understand Geo Baker making all conference, and I am worried Rutgers will underachieve this year without its home court advantage, which is the starkest in the country IMO.

Baker is fine, I get that it's reward for being expected for the team to be good this year. And I think his numbers were depressed last year a little by injury, he was very good down the stretch and is a good crunch time player. But he is the definition of a volume scorer if there ever was one.

Ron Harper is better, and Myles Johnson is better on a per rate basis but fouls too much.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

So apparently Ron Harper Jr. is playing every game like he's against Iowa now. (Which is not a knock against them, just he's always been lights out against them.) Dude is going to be a first round pick and declare, isn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

The best/worst example of that is the year Rutgers fired Fred Hill. They originally told him he could come back, mainly because they were flat broke. His dad was the baseball coach at the school. He gets thrown out of a baseball game for arguing for an umpire, and sneaks back in with a disguise, Bobby Valentine style.

Fired instantly, and because they have no money, the only person who will take the job is desperate Mike Rice.