Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

28 turnovers and Duke won by 2. If Kansas ain't good, Duke ain't good.

Imagine the score if you have 28 turnovers against a great team

I've been hearing that Kansas's bigs are phenomenal while their backcourt play is suspect. 28 turnovers sorta shows that out.

Duke had 16 turnovers themselves. Not a great showing in the first game for either team, but teams are much different by game 5.

e: Tech easily handled a 25 point win over a bad team. The team struggled to close out on 3 point shooters, but that's what this defense will give up.

Ramsey hardly left the floor and the offense will most definitely move through him this year. Terrance Shannon got a surprise start over Clarke, and finished with 11 points in 24 minutes. Kyler Edwards didn't do much in his 25 minutes on the court, but he's always been a streaky shooter.

Tech got a lot more out of Russell Tchewa than I expected, with 13 quite good minutes. He's still raw, especially on the offensive end, but if Beard can mold him into a defensive presence in 2 months time, he'll certainly be a key to matching up with Kansas. Hollyfield also looked a lot better than he had in exhibition. His only contribution after 15 left in the 2nd is a turnover and he still finished with 15 points and 6 rebounds. I'd say he's a nightly double-double threat.

FR forward Tyreek Smith apparently had surgery on his foot a few weeks ago and has anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks before he'll be ready to see the floor. If he wasn't injured, Tech would have gone 12 deep

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

And immediately after 5* guard Nimari Burnett commits to Texas Tech.

Oklahoma State got the #2 ranked player last week, Iowa State got top 50 Xavier Foster.

Baylor and West Virginia got four star top 75 ranked players.

Big 12 killing it lately

Level of competition in the Big XII keeps going up for sure.

That's all of the scholarships that Tech has available, but I'm expecting Beard to keep pursuing at least one more high 4 or 5* player, if not two, with the full expectation that Jamius Ramsey is going to be a one-and-done.

e: looks like Greg Brown is waiting until the spring to commit, so I bet Tech tries to get back in on that.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 12, 2019

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

So this Chris Clarke dude that Texas Tech borrowed from Virginia Tech is pretty fun:

https://twitter.com/BulliesBroadway/status/1195119252270977028

This year's offense basically runs through him as an undersized 4. I really do hope he gets his 0 point, 10 assist, 10 rebound game sometime this year.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Arizona hasn't beaten anyone super significant but that still seems low, they look loaded this year

At 14? I mean, Kentucky is not being punished hard enough, and Virginia lacks an offense, but there's not room to fit a bunch more folks in the top 10. Maybe you can say they should be swapped with Oregon?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech scored 2 points in overtime.

The offense runs through Ramsey and he's as hot/cold as they come.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Yikes. The 2 losses in Vegas dropped Tech all the way out of the polls.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Probably Magic posted:

Haven't been paying attention but, uh, what the gently caress is up with Texas Tech this year?

kiimo posted:

The Iowa loss was bad but the Creighton and DePaul losses were both in overtime and they have a lot of new faces on that team that probably just haven't figured out how to win those kinds of games yet.

Also Jahmius Ramsey went down with a hamstring injury in the first half of the Iowa game, and we had built our entire offensive identity around him.

Should be much better come March, just hope we don't drop so many early season that we wind up on the wrong side of the bubble.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Huh. Give up on Tech and then they go and beat Louisville by 13 without Ramsey.

Avery Benson is the hardest working walk-on in the nation.

Really hope Ramsey is back soon, though. He needed the most work on defense of our top 8 players and he's missing valuable time leading up to the late season run. Tech gets scary if Ramsey confess back with more focus on defense and when Tyreek Smith is better as well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Yay one-and-done era!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Big XII is gonna be naaaaaasty this year. So many top tier defensive teams. Most games are going to be a race to 60 points. Ridiculous.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Bird in a Blender posted:

I was not paying attention and just saw this. Well I guess big 12 play starts today so maybe ISU will get its poo poo together. Not likely, but weíll see. Expecting this to be an NIT year.

Big XII is insanely deep this year. Going to need to go 8-10 in conference to overcome a poor non-conference, plus win the SEC matchup to make the NIT. Anyone in the Big XII that can make 9 wins in conference will probably be in the NCAA's (except ISU and KSU, who would be bubble on the outside teams).

e: haha, just saw that y'all got Auburn. That sucks.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech drops to Baylor by 5. Neither team broke 60. Had it within 2 with 30 seconds left, but couldn't finish it off.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dang. Baylor went on the road and Beat Tech by 5, then went on the road and beat Kansas by 12 (and it wasn't close).

This is the darkest timeline.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Dang. Tech is the 3rd/4th team in the Big XII this year depending on how things play out with Kansas.

Womp womp.

Maybe this gets Jahmi'us Ramsey to stay for his 2nd year? (It won't)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

curried lamb of God posted:

Drew has been one of the best coaches in the country for the past decade and Texas should've gone after him when they fired Barnes, but I think Baylor has too much money now to let him go. Beard might be slightly more realistic given that he's an alum, but Tech will also pay anything to keep him around, and he's probably a candidate for any blue chip job (KU, UK, UNC, Duke) whenever there's an opening

Buzz Williams would've killed it there but I'm so glad he's at A&M

Yeah, I don't think that Beard gains anything going to Texas. Slightly easier recruiting, I guess, but he's already in on 5*'s competing with the blue-chips at Tech. Tech will match any offer UT makes as far as cash goes.

I expect them to go after Beard, but I don't know how seriously he listens.

I figure he waits around until coach K decides to hang it up at Duke or until the NBA comes a-calling.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Good thing that everyone was watching coverage of the Kansas brawl and not Tech's embarrassing TCU loss. The worst "quarters" of basketball Tech's ever played under Beard, 20-5 TCU in the first ten minutes of the 2nd half.

This Tech team has a real problem with its size. Holyfield's OK, but he's our only solid inside player getting any minutes. This lets other teams bully us on the boards and leaves us without any defensive presence inside and with as much helping as we have to do in the middle this year, leaves the kickout 3 wide open.

It would help if the NCAA would clear Joel Ntambwe or if Tyreek Smith is able to start getting playing time after his injury, as those are both 6'8" forwards, but I'm feeling like this year is mostly a wash. Ramsey is just too hot & cold a shooter to rely on to carry our offense.

OTOH, it might mean that Ramsey comes back for his sophomore year if he plays his way out of the first round of the draft, so that'd be pretty fun with Agbo, Peavey, and Burnett coming in. Poor Benson just got his scholarship, would have to give it up

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Khalil Whitney leaving UK. His playing time has dropped recently, mostly because his production was just not there and guysvliek Keion Brooks and Johnny Juzang were passing him by. Potential is there, preseason he was Kentucky's highest rated draft prospect, but has dropped off the lists since then. He didn't say transfer, just that he was leaving, so no idea what he does next.

Sounded like he was going to try for the NBA draft anyway and hope that he left early enough to not completely kill his draft stock.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech's got another overtime loss to a top quadrant team... Scheduling for the Big XII didn't help us much, putting WVU and KU back-to-back as we had with BU and WVU earlier in the year, and BU and KU to finish the season.

I think Tech's gotta finish the year 7-5 or better to be in the tournament. Tough if we don't take at least one of the next two.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech beat WVU in an 89-81 game. Regulation score. Which is insane for a Big XII game.

Refs called 28 fouls on Tech, with two of our guards (Moretti and Edwards) fouling out. They shot 41 free throws while being down by double digits most of the game...

Craz.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Completely agree, with evidence being that the only 2 players to foul out were Kentucky guards. Those are the types of games I hate the most, because it just makes no sense.

This happened to Tech vs WVU. Two tech guards fouled out. Tech managed to win by double digits still, so that's cool and good.

Tech lost another close one to a Q1 team. Our 6th and 7th players are both hurt (6th with a day-to-day ankle injury, 7th is in concussion protocol), but the team still just fights and claws to stay close to good teams. We're not sure if Tyreek Smith plays or redshirts this year, but he could help a lot as a jumpy 4.

Also, This year's Kansas block-based defense is fun to watch. I wish that Tech had a rim protector like Tariq Owens on this year's team. Blocks make the defense go. I mean, we have a couple of players like him, but one is a true freshman who has only been playing basketball for a few years and is absolutely lost when he gets on the court, one is a true freshman that's hurt, and one is a sophomore who didn't get a transfer waiver, so I guess there's that.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech beat OU in a close game. After the game Chris Beard called out mystery players, saying this is the first time he's had players that don't want to take coaching and only want to play defense on some possessions. We're not sure if he's talking about Shannon (who had a miserable game, scoring 1 point in 20 minutes of play) or about Ramsey (who is the worst defender on the team, but also we knew that was the weakest part of his game coming in to the season, and frankly the reason why he's a borderline 1-and-done). Or even possibly about Moretti who has been slumping hard as a Junior.

The Tech defense has been worse this year than the previous two for sure. I mostly chalked that up to personnel, lacking a guy like Tariq Owens or Zach Smith who could stop the other team at the rim in case they did get the ball in to the middle. But sounds like there's some effort stuff going on as well.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Yeah, on the one hand, Knight did take TTU to the sweet 16. On the other hand, he really was the worst.

Speaking of TTU... Down 17 at one point, came back to win by 5. Suck it horns.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech played their worst game @ TCU earlier this season. Was definitely on their minds as they blew TCU out 88-42 in the return game. Got good minutes from our other 2 tall players (Savrasov and Tchewa), which is good for experience.

No sign of Tyreek Smith, which means he's likely heading for a redshirt.

Terrance Shannon took an uncalled and dirty shoulder to the chin and is now in concussion protocol. McCullar missed 3 games earlier this year from a similar thing. Fortunately, our next 3 games are against the bottom 3 teams in the league before we visit OU, so hopefully he's back before he's needed.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

vcu is 17-7, pretty good

top 25 in kenpomís adjusted defense, thatís really good, please do not ask about our offense

The Big XII having 4 of the top 6 is just brutal.

1 Kansas B12 21-3
7 West Virginia B12 18-6
51 Virginia ACC 16-7
5 Baylor B12 22-1
10 Maryland B10 20-4
13 Texas Tech B12 16-8

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech proved once again that road games in the big XII are brutal. Lose to OSU. No bueno.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Big XII should also be intense and interesting next season.

Baylor loses 1 of their top 5 to graduation, none to the draft.

Kansas loses Moss and Azubuike, but doesn't seem to have anyone projected for the 1st round of the draft and they're Kansas

Texas Tech loses Clarke and Holyfield and likely loses Ramsey, but has twice the production of Ramsey coming in, plus more size. And it's not certain that Ramsey is a one-and done, since he's projected at the back third of the draft.

WVU loses Haley and Harler, but they're such a team effort sort of team and are generally quite young.

OU loses Doolittle, but are also a younger team.

OSU signed the top player in the 2020 class.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

elentar posted:

I do not understand this season but I'm tucking tonight in my pocket at least, that was a shitkicking

This season is totally 2007 football.

March is gonna be bonkers.

(Or, because it'd be more disappointing after this crazy a season, march will be almost completely chalk)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Football, but dang

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

RIP SDSU

also, RIP ISU, who now have a new highest ever margin of loss for their home court of 30 points. Texas Tech shot 70% and scored 51 points in the first half vs ISU. Dang.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

kiimo posted:

Kansas has been so much better since they started playing small ball. The De Sousa suspension isn't the reason they did it but it makes a better story.

Someone was talking about how they switched to a no-middle defense like Tech's this year, which has been a big improvement defensively and allows you to play smaller overall (as long as you have at least some athletic rim protector type help)

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

This season is bruuuuutal.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

eek. Tech not playing well at all vs OU. Can't hit the board side of a bran.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Before today, Tech needed 1 win to be a lock for the tournament.

After today, Tech still needs 1 win to be a lock for the tournament...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Peanut President posted:

Evansville did indeed lose today. First team to beat #1 in the country and then lose their entire conference schedule

I hope they win their conference tournament. That would be the most 2007 poo poo to happen.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Declan MacManus posted:

in the past decade? itís been really competitive this year but overall iíd put them in the middle of the p5 pack solidly below the big 12 and the acc and ahead of the sec and pac 12

I mean, you could make arguments in a different way.. Like championship game appearances:

7 ACC
4 Big East
3 Big 10
2 - others

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tech has spent the last 4 games either crapping all over ourselves vs UT in Lubbock or OU in OKC, or playing incredibly close, competitive games vs Baylor and Kansas.

And our 1st round Big XII game vs UT sure is feeling like an NCAA tournament play-in game at this point. If Tech doesn't make it, they do have the makings of an NIT champion...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

translation: We'd prefer to not kill most of our boomer donors

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

honestly, ban those schools from the tournament.

poo poo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Welp.

This is what happens when you have a government that completely bungles both the action and the messaging surrounding a pandemic.

What a world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

a neat cape posted:

The government could be doing everything right and these things would still need to be postponed or cancelled

If we had easier, cheaper, and more prevalent testing, we'd be able to more confidently hold these events. Everyone gets tested the day before each round and any team whose tests come back positive forfeit the game. Stuff like that.

But tests in the US are expensive and aren't done proactively.

A national policy other than, "It's all OK, it's just a bad flu" would also help matters.