Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And now the whole nation - pulpit and all - will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open.

Of course it was against NAU so too early to really tell how real this is, but Zeke Nnaji was really impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
And now the whole nation - pulpit and all - will take up the war-cry, and shout itself hoarse, and mob any honest man who ventures to open his mouth; and presently such mouths will cease to open.

Basketball is cool because that kind of thing can just happen one game. It shouldn't but it can.

E: I mean the upset but also that is a cool trip report.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This Arizona team looks better at the start than the Ayton team, even though that team was older with theoretically more talent. That might be potentially from having an easier schedule to start and also not a tournament to get embarrassed in. But, I think this team has a better grasp on running an offense than that team at least.

But I have no idea what criteria they use to rate teams this time of year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

It's close enough to a judgement call though that I wouldn't be surprised if a ref blew it off. You're supposed to still be able to commit a foul on a shooter after the clock rolls to zero (like if you come down on their face or elbow) but I've seen refs call that foul, then have the call overridden or rescinded "due to the period being over before the foul."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Arizona/Oregon was really ugly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Oh Bill Walton is wonderful, I unfortunately had to have the game muted so I just had to watch the turnover/foul/bad shot battle .

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

One of them was accidentally holding back a cop though, which was pretty funny.

Good, the security guard should be there, the cop in paramilitary gear should not.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Brandon Williams is probably out at Arizona. Thought is that he is going to go pro if can play next year (like maybe Gleague or overseas). I hope his knee gets better he had a lot of potential.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Probably not great for Arizona or the other schools involved in that. Did Oklahoma St. cooperate?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Yes which is why you never cooperate anymore

Maybe we will survive then. What are they going to do, vacate Sean Miller's championships? lol.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'm not sure about the exposure part since I think the g-league games are on twitch and last I recall didn't do all that great there in terms of numbers, but other than that I think it's a no brainer to jump at those contracts.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I feel like the few times a top pick has gone to a small school they had people caretroll about them not being competitive the whole college season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

It's dumb but in the way that will probably be really good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Yeah at this point there's no reason to work with the NCAA. Recruits have clearly gotten over the allegation, and they aren't actually softer on teams that cooperate so why bother.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

It feels wrong to lock a bunch of teens in a bubble.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

E: I'll move it to the draft thread.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Vs small school caveat of course but Jordan Brown looked much more like the guy who was a 5 star recruit two years ago before suffering from Coached By Eric Mussleman And Not a Backup Point Guard disease.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

mussleman is a pretty good college coach

Maybe but would you let your tall top 50 recruit son play for him?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SDSU is legit. ASU...ehhhhh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tadashi posted:

Cherokee Parks looks a lot different now than I remember.

He looks like his dad, who my dad worked with, which is funny because I didn’t see a ton of resemblance back then.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tadashi posted:

Does Calipari suck at coaching, now? It seems like his team is running plays competently but, during the Notre Dame game, it felt like there were a ton of mismatches that resulted in poo poo like big guys unable to catch up to small guys and small guys who were completely hopeless in the lane on D.

I couldn't pick out what turned things around but that last play looked pretty disorganized, too.

I thought his talent was recruiting not coaching but then fans say poo poo like that all the time and I don't follow college much outside of the Pac-12 but as a draft feeder league.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I was in a video meeting where I really should not have been looking at my phone but it was really boring so I was and when this alert popped up I knew I made the right decision.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

elentar posted:

Dunno if this is a better or worse idea than just playing through it, middle fingers high. Probably something NC State should be considering, at least.

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1344003350875017218?s=20

I prefer middle fingers up. This year's team wasn't a title team but I actually thought they had a chance for an upset or two if they could make the tournament. But I guess it's probably better to wipe a year like that away than risk a year in the future with higher aspirations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Arizona is going to win the PAC-12 and be able to just say “gosh who knows what would have happened if we went to the tournament “ which is pretty much Sean Miller’s dream season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I was invited to some corporate sales thing that also has a QA with Seth Davis and they've been talking Wisconsin for the past 15 minutes so if you were experiencing unknown psychic damage there's your explanation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Four more until he shoots the moon and is awarded 16 national titles.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

drat, loving terrible.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Morrison was a summer league legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I liked Miller, I think his record speaks for itself, and I am not against paying players so don't care about all of that. As someone who mainly views college as what it's going to do for the NBA, I liked having a lot of players end up in the NBA and I like how ready so many of his players were defensively, and I liked how often top prospects ended up being drafted higher than their projection, it felt cool.

I also don't think he was ever going to win the tournament and I don't think that Arizona had reached the peak of its ability to compete and can picture a different coach doing better, so I'm not going to cry a ton about moving on from him. However, I would have either done it when the news broke years ago, or a few weeks ago when it was a smart time to hire a coach. I wouldn't have done it when the university president decided she could probably hire a friend, which unfortunately looks like what's going to happen.

The Glumslinger posted:

Not so easy when you cant just bribe your way to the top recruits

You're a loving USC fan, your house is extremely glass. And thus you should know that paying for recruits isn't enough especially since they finished behind Arizona nearly every year for the last twenty years anyway while generally somehow managing to do even worse in the tournament than a coach famous for choking in the tournament.