Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers looked like poo poo for most of OOC play, but has turned it on against Seton Hall and Wisconsin, and then destroyed Nebraska moreso than others have, so most statistical models love them right now. The Big Ten is loving murder, but at this point deserves 10 bids, whether or not it'll actually get them.

Beating Penn St Tuesday would be a good start. Going to go to that one I think...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Just walked in from the Rutgers PSU game. This team is fun as gently caress, and their best player isn't even playing the last few games.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/1214731903946899458

I want quite badly for Rutgers to make the tournament. This year the general analysis was "maaaaaybe NIT?", but that's Rutgerseseses'sesesss's'sss second top-25 win. They have a shot at the big dance!

I'm 100% going if they make it no matter where it is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Geo isn't the best player, he just plays the most because he has the most seniority. Honestly, I think he's the fifth or sixth best player on the team, and it's actually good that he's not playing these games.

So Roy Williams is whining about his team, and Pikiell is kicking rear end with 0 star guys no one ever heard of. Myles Johnson might turn into a lottery pick next year, and no one had ever heard of him before Rutgers signed him.

I mean it's arguable. Ron Harper is going to be their best player I think but Geo is their best pure scorer and has been the guy the last few years. Either way it was hella fun tonight and it's about time this program had a pulse. I will probably go to the rest of the home games at the least.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

They better rip up Pikiell's deal and give him a new one with a giant buyout.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

https://twitter.com/IlliniStats/status/1215125971604590594

Also no game in Champaign this year, so sweep by Illinois in both football and basketball woop woop

Rutgers' next opponent.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers really didn't play well yesterday but they were within 3 of a decent team on the road...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers is legitimately good. They keep beating Big 10 teams and just clearly looking like the better team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

For the record, Myles Johnson's defense destroyed Oturu today. Him vs. Garza will be interesting. Rutgers/Iowa is as big of a clash of styles as you can get.

I didn't come away impressed with Minnesota. Oturu had about 7 mins where he took over the game and his final numbers look good 19 and 9 but he was invisible for the rest of the game and didn't get Myles into foul trouble.

Also, we're loving ranked LOL.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

That was a REALLY good half of basketball by Rutgers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tuesday is gonna be lit at the RAC!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Rutgers is kind of running on fumes now, although part of that was Purdue got Myles Johnson in foul trouble again.

gently caress apologizing for wins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's not apologizing. They're just not DESTROYING teams like they were a few weeks ago.

Yeah but Purdue is a real team that has just played a bad schedule. They have good players... I didn't expect Rutgers to destroy them. I mean they are still higher than us in the Kenpom rankings....

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Regnevelc posted:

A lot of that is because they destroyed Virginia early in the year. Purdue isn't a top 25 team.

They are top 25 in the Kempom ranks. Just not the AP.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It really didn't make sense when Williams, who was dominating the game early in the 2nd half and wasn't in foul trouble was on the bench from like 8:00 to 3 and change. Especially cause Johnson was hurt, in foul trouble or both.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This game is Rutgers' first real stinker of the season. Ugly.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

How many games does Rutgers need to win more to make the tourney? 3? Their next game is against Northwestern so thats a win but other than that there are no more easy ones.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

NOW it's panic time.

They are clearly running out of gas but Baker willed them to that one himself. Fun game to be at. If they win 3 of the last 7 you have to think they are in...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

The Big Ten is going to be even crazier next year. Thankfully Penn State will fall off a cliff. I don't have a good handle on who declares beyond Oturu, and no idea on transfers. And I think Nebraska and NW lose some seniors. But most of the top teams are returning most of their players.

You'd think Rutgers would be good next year since they are bringing back all their best players but since i got season tickets, it's a good chance they will fall off a cliff.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/wizcliff77/status/1244285108347121664

Yes!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's fills a need on next year's team as the #2 big. Let's be realistic though, he's a little raw, but he'll be a shot blocker and a rebounder right away. Look at how Myles progressed. Give Cliff a year in the system, and in 2021 he'll be really good.

I'm more excited about what it means for recruiting that the best players in the state are staying home than what it means for the team near term. College basketball isn't about big men anyway.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 29, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

No matter what they do here, someone is getting hosed over.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/DannyBreslauer/status/1324347349683101696

LOVE THIS!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/RutgersOnBTN/status/1331768720880926720

Gonna be fun listening announcers try to pronounce "Omoruyi" all season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

He looks like such a goon and i don't like him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers beat Cuse for the first time since 03 without Baker. Going places this season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

So apparently Ron Harper Jr. is playing every game like he's against Iowa now. (Which is not a knock against them, just he's always been lights out against them.) Dude is going to be a first round pick and declare, isn't he.

Him and Myles have been the 2 best players on the floor for every game so far. 2 monsters. Geo even looked pretty much himself tonight. This is a very legitimate top 20 team.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 15, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Declan MacManus posted:

hes on the fringe of the first round but he could easily raise that if he keeps playing like this

He still looks like a kid and he's already this good. He's going to grow into his body and get in better shape. He could be like one of the best years in the country if he stays another year (which I hope he does for purely selfish reasons)

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 15, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Man this Rutgers team. They got punched in the mouth in the first half and still beat a REALLY good team. Legit A F.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

11 in the country. Wow.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Rutgers/OSU. Weird to just expect to win a game like this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

The officiating was pro-OSU tonight, but I thought we were fortunate a bit there on Sunday against Illinois. The issue is the refs are not robots, and they will usually favor the home team even if there's no crowd.

More broadly, team depth is pretty bad right now with Cliffy hurt. If you knock Myles Johnson out of the game, we're utterly hosed, and you saw it tonight. We still probably win if Young doesn't get hurt, and I think we're the better team overall.

Yeah they were super short handed that game and they completely fell apart once they had those like 4 terrible calls in a row go against them. If Young is out a while along with Cliff that isn't great.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

Ron Harper has an ankle injury and everyone is getting hurt for Rutgers now. Let's see if they can hang on with multiple injuries against Purdue.

They also can't buy a call in this game either. They are the ranked team and they are home... How about a loving whistle?

Gutty win against a team they are better than. Gotta love with Miles did and Young is clutch down the stretch at the line.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 30, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

MSU broke Rutgers. This is not the same team we saw through the Iowa game.

Those 2 fouls against Johnson in the first OSU game did it. They blew the Iowa game at the line and then 2 horrific games in a row. Crisis time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's hard to argue that Rutgers isn't a fraud after this one and the previous few games. What an utterly miserable game at home when they really needed a win. Harper, Mathis and Baker have just completely disappeared as offensive factors. You can't lose 3 straight at home.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 16, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Someone here said I was bipolar for being worried about Rutgers as a team that was legitimately playing like a top 15 team early in the season has just fell completely apart. Rough stuff.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Good time for Rutgers to play their best game of the season.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/aaron_breitman/status/1357698090787078151

Dude should get some credit.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kim Jong Il posted:

He's a good two way player. The offense should probably feature him more.

edit: Also, Purdue's conference schedule is kind of bullshit how the only top team they play twice is OSU.

Yes, I feel like him and Geo are their far and away their best players and they need to be getting more shots. They should have more than 8 shots each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

whos that broooown posted:

Ohio State - Michigan in one week is gonna be fun.

Rutgers - Michigan Thursday as well.