Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Lol Kentucky.

ISU beat world beaters Northern Illinois by 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m late, but gently caress duke.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Well after that tournament, I feel like ISU isn’t going to be that great this year. Possibly bottom half of the Big 12. I generally like Prohm as a coach, but he needs to start getting better results.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

a neat cape posted:

SDSU is unretiring the all red uniforms and re-designed them since we are a jordan brand school now.

By re-designed I mean just copied the Bulls uniforms from the 90s

Those Bulls uniforms rocked, so this is a good thing.

ISU beat Seton Hall last night at home, which is nice considering ISU lost to them like a week ago in the Bahamas. A good top 25 win is what this team needed because they have floundered against decent competition this year. Thursday is Iowa, and I'm wondering how the Cyclones will blow it this year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

elentar posted:

Iowa State lost to Florida A&M, and they really shouldn’t.

I was not paying attention and just saw this. Well I guess big 12 play starts today so maybe ISU will get its poo poo together. Not likely, but we’ll see. Expecting this to be an NIT year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I didn't watch the ISU-KU game last night, and I'm glad I didn't. Going to be a loooong season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

tadashi posted:

I hate both those teams. Keep fighting

Not emptyquoting because I can also mention that ISU managed to beat a bad Okie State team. Maybe we won’t be last in the Big 12.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Iowa had an 8 minute scoring drought in the first half. With 8 minutes left in the second they're up 80-48 and already have the walk ons in. Nebraska is real bad.

Hoiberg is going to get frustrated coaching Nebraska, and come back to ISU when Prohm is fired next year.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh great, Haliburton is out for the remainder of the season with a wrist fracture. Not that the Cyclones were doing anything anyway, but it's a huge blow. Not sure if Haliburton planned to enter the draft this year or not. He may stick around another season either way now. Sucks for him big time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

RIP SDSU

also, RIP ISU, who now have a new highest ever margin of loss for their home court of 30 points. Texas Tech shot 70% and scored 51 points in the first half vs ISU. Dang.

Yea we suck bad this year. Prohm may be out after this disaster.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

gently caress Duke, thank you very much. ISU managed another win. The fact that ISU has looked so terrible, but is still going to be 8th in the Big 12 shows how much of a down year it is for the conference.

Edit: Hell looking at the schedule, ISU could easily pass TCU and end up 7th. Shameful really.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hoiberg still can’t win in Chicago.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hoiberg isn’t exactly the epitome of perfect health either.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Every tournament will be cancelled by the end of the day I expect. I wonder if NCAA cancels, or just tries to push ahead. I guess it's still a week away for the first games, if they got rid of the first four games.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Anyone but Liberty.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kayakyakr posted:

I agree with this. Really, I still think they should have finished up the conference tournaments then called off the season.

You can thank Rudy Gobert for that. Rumor is that everyone was planning to go to no fans, and still play until Rudy came down with it. I guess it was inevitable, but it might have extended games for a few more days.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Mac Mac Lung is a totally real name and not from a Japanese baseball game ok.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Create 32 groups of 11 teams and do round robins. Top two teams go to a 64 team tournament. One pod would need to have 12 teams to get to 353. They can have the 2 and 3 teams do a play in for the final spot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa State projected to be bad again. Assuming they don’t over-perform, this is probably Prohm’s last year. Team has gotten worse every year. Well maybe he gets a COVID reprieve, but I kinda doubt it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

That seems optimistic.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

the same reason they're playing football there is money to be made and the people with the most to gain are risking the least

Because exercise is also part of a good education?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Peanut President posted:

I remembered really ornate chandeliers but I was mistaken

So how many jump shots clipped the ceiling?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

NCAA getting creative with its punishments by getting the whole team infected.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Clones were somehow losing at the half to Arkansas Pine Bluff. Still won comfortably, but not a good omen for the season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

k-state, who got blown out by a bad d2 team, beat Iowa State lol

We suck, and I'm starting to wonder if Prohm even makes it to the end of the season.

Edit: My quick read on other ISU fans is that they think Prohm survives this year simply because we won't have the money to fire him. I think Pollard will have to fire him if we win just 1-2 games in conference. How do you bring him back? Even in a COVID year.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 16, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Yea I think he has to be fired. The damage to attendance next year will justify the expense I would guess.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

yeah isu was the "host" school when they played first round games in des moines a couple years ago even though it's an hour away and there is a d1 school in des moines

indy is a good city to host stuff and probably makes the logistics a lot easier but it could have been fun to have it in smaller arenas if you're not gonna have fans anyway

I have driven from Ames to Des Moines enough to know you can get there in 30 minutes easily, well depending on what part of Des Moines I guess.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Iowa state with a bold move to stop losing games is just to not play them.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Can we please fire Prohm soon?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

Steve Prohm's conference winning percentage since Monte Morris graduated is .253. Wayne Morgan's was .458 and he got run out of town after three years and had to start selling satellite dishes. Todd Lickliter's was .278! I know everyone is broke and they just had to give Matt Campbell a big raise but there's no way Prohm can keep that job, right?

I'm also reminded that some Michigan fans really wanted to hire him when Beilein left for the NBA and I'm very sad that didn't happen.

God I hope so. Inherited one of the best Cyclone teams of all time, and ISU has gotten worse every year. Hilton is going to look like we’re still dealing with COVID if Prohm is still around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have not looked up the records, but I’m going to guess that this was the worst Iowa State season for at least 50 years, and maybe all time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Being less dominated by constant corporate sponsorship was one of the nice things college sports had going for it. Very few stadiums were corporate named stadiums, less ads on the courts/fields, etc. I really don't like this trend.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I haven’t been paying attention. Did the NCAA set COVID rules for the tournament? Like if one guy tests positive they’re out?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1371635224388501510?s=19

Was waiting for this. Think they wanted to keep him another year and save money and he was just way too bad to make it possible. Hoping they go the lazy/cheap route and just bring back TJ Otzelberger. He was a good recruiter for them but I don't think I'm that scared of him turning them into a power the way Hoiberg did. DeVries would also be a solid hire but I don't think he necessarily has a huge ceiling. If I were them I'd get Anthony Grant but hopefully they don't do that.

Praise Jebus. I have no insight who would be a good hire. A lot of fans don’t want Otz back because they just don’t see him turning the program around.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

As far as I can tell, this is not set in stone yet, just rumors, but our AD has hinted it would TJ as well. Pollard needs to get this one right. Two really bad BB hires is not good. If football wasn't doing so great right now I'd think Pollard would be out the door too.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Haha get hosed Ohio State. I don’t care how far I had you in my brackets.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Oh so I guess Iowa State officially hired TJ Otzelberger. I am underwhelmed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

At least I can take some small satisfaction in watching Texas under perform again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I'll be honest and say I don't pay attention to Women's ball (I didn't pay attention to Men's much either this year). Is this Women's tournament getting more competitive? For a long time, upsets weren't that common because of how stacked the top teams were, but I just saw #4 Arkansas lost to #13 Wright State, and #5 Gonzaga lost to #12 Belmont, so there's at least a few upsets this year.

The Clones are actually halfway decent on the Women's side at least.