Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

InitialDave posted:

A package arrives!

Thanks, Freelop!

Ah glad it arrived. I forgot to explain #dickfest in the card but I'm glad you knew what it was anyway.

Then again the card is quite poorly written as I'm a left handed engineer who was also drunk at the time of writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
Just want to say WOW angryrobots! You absolutely knocked it out of the park. I will post pictures once Im done with all the familial obligations of the next two days.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Echotic posted:

Just want to say WOW angryrobots! You absolutely knocked it out of the park. I will post pictures once Im done with all the familial obligations of the next two days.

I am just stoked that it made it through customs!

I realized after packing that I neglected to sign my screen name anywhere, but you figured it out anyway. :)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

CornHolio posted:

I got a package today!

My cats were very interested

Inside the box were:

- A book on how to build an electric car... copyright 1994. Maybe things have changed a little since then? Really interesting read.
- five 10mm sockets, four of which made their way into the toolbox. The fifth is lost (I kid, it's in there too)
- A bunch of really cool stickers (I love stickers and cover my garage shelves with them)
- An old Nevada license plate (I actually do have a bunch of old plates and I want to mount them to my garage wall sometime, so this is awesome)
- A vintage oil filter wrench. This is really interesting because I was cleaning out my grandpa's garage a couple of months ago and I found one just like it that was his dad's.
- Some apparently illegal hand cleaner

Thank you Mr. Wiggles! This is some great stuff!

So glad you liked everything, CornHolio! Have a great Christmas!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The good news is the gift is in the correct country for my recipient, but it hasn't had any updates for what looks like two days. I am not sure what the postal service holiday looks like for that country but hopefully it arrives soon. I am sorry to miss the holiday point :(

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Voltage did good. My kid has already taken a liking to the Huayra.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finally getting a picture up - thanks IOwnCalculus!

Not pictured, he also sent a thumb drive with the service manuals for our CR-V. :)

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
This box has been sitting under my tree for weeks now. Finally I get to open it!

LOURD, It really is HEAVY. Perhaps someone has shipped me concrete?

A ubiquity box. I just helped someone install one of those.

Let's open it up!

Wow, this thing is packed. No wonder it is so heavy.

What do we have?

Three interesting beers. I like the 10W30 name, that would be neat to have a brewery where every beer is a different oil. Yes, I'd like a pint of ATF III and my friend will have some 70W90 please.

After eights! I have not had these in years. The pile of Lindors were used as packing peanuts. Very clever and tasty - I'd just finished the Lindor chocolates from swiss chalet. mmm chalet sauce....

A game of monopoly. I guess this is a pocket sized one? Must be the east coast edition, as it comes with fishes instead of paper money. Also, it appears Santa has installed an open source tracker for his sleigh. I guess he got tired of the Norad tracking fees.

RADL tax was also paid!

A sweet rotor keychain! Also the REPU, which I've been trying to find for years. Very cool!

Finally, the item which was weighing down the entire package:

Some sort of a copper nut. The smell reminds me of old gun parts, but I have no idea what it is from. Any guesses? I quite like it, I have an oversized bolt at work I fiddle with.

The big reveal:

Thank you Helno. I really enjoyed digging through all the items, each one was excellent. The beer is currently chilling, the chocolates are making me fat, and I am trying to figure out what this nut is from.

I had a lot of fun doing AISS this year. I don't know why I waited so long to join in.

Sgt Fox fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Dec 26, 2019

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That monopoly deal game can turn into fistfights really easily. It’s fun but it has a lot of back stabbing.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Sgt Fox posted:

I am trying to figure out what this nut is from.

Inner casing nut from a 900 MW steam turbine stud. This is a small one the studs for the big ones are around 300 lbs. Copper plated for corrosion resistance in the condensing steam environment.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That monopoly deal game can turn into fistfights really easily. It’s fun but it has a lot of back stabbing.

It never reaches flip over the table levels but it has certainly generated a few hurt feelings reports.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My gift is showing that it was delivered on the 23rd... I hope it didn't get swiped or something!

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

I got home late last night to discover a package from a far away place!*

Inside is this outstanding book:

I'm so excited to sit down with this over the weekend (I flipped through it last night, but it was already 3am or so when I opened it), thank you kind Santa! The package came from Australia, so I have a few guesses at who my Santa is, but I couldn't find anything identifying them in the package.

*the shotgun shells and cylinder head are not part of the package, I'm just that much of a redneck that I have both sitting on my dining room table

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

My wife texted me a photo of a large :dong: shaped box asking "what is this?" which means I have an AI Santa gift waiting for when I get home!

The tracking for my santee's gift has shown the same scan in the country for the past 5 or 6 days now :sigh:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Tracking says mine's ETA is Jan 2nd. :smith:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Mein package has arrived! My wife declared that I had a rather long package. I took it as a compliment.

I have. Questions.

I went big first.

A very dope hand made sign! Two things that every BMW is very familiar with!
Next was the green one

:capitalism:
I skimmed through quickly to see if any passages were highlighted. None were so I figured that means I need to read all of it.

Fortunately Santa finally brought me a knife for Christmas which is a first for me! This thing is very sharp and I didn't harm myself at all!

I have never heard of this Lou character but welding stuff is very dope and a skill I hope to one day learn

:swoon:

Thank you Santa!!!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I received a soft and awesome package!

Thank you Agent Chaos for the 10mm sockets. I have filled out the holes in three toolkits.

The hat is a HUGE hit at work; at least five pilots have asked me where to get one.

The metal sculpture was a very soothing joy to assemble. It's strikingly sturdy when completed, especially noting how flimsy the flat sheet is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A package appears.

There's some stuff in there. Smells smoky?

Japanese tank magazine from 1990, a thing I definitely didn't know I needed till now. :hellyeah:

Some RockAuto magnets, gotta collect 'em all!

And a sweet Sharpie, industrial strength.

Let's unwrap.

VW cup, I am now cursed.

Molex connector, WTF is this from?

That explains the smoke smell. WTF is this from? Looks like it says Cessna 9155001-1. I can see "LIGHT" and "TEST PCB rear end", but some Googling doesn't return that exact part number or any clues what this thing did.

Now, I know you guys are wondering, where's the beef?

Looks delicious.

I didn't find a note. Thanks, mystery Santa!

I feel bad for my super low-effort SS gift this year, I have an infant as my excuse. I'll do better next time. At least it was a cool thing, and an awesome thing...

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I received a soft and awesome package!

Thank you Agent Chaos for the 10mm sockets. I have filled out the holes in three toolkits.

The hat is a HUGE hit at work; at least five pilots have asked me where to get one.

The metal sculpture was a very soothing joy to assemble. It's strikingly sturdy when completed, especially noting how flimsy the flat sheet is.

Ha! I tried to write “Agent Claus”, but I’ve got the worst handwriting. Glad to hear you liked the stuff!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Big Taint posted:

A package appears.

There's some stuff in there. Smells smoky?

Japanese tank magazine from 1990, a thing I definitely didn't know I needed till now. :hellyeah:

Some RockAuto magnets, gotta collect 'em all!

And a sweet Sharpie, industrial strength.

Let's unwrap.

VW cup, I am now cursed.

Molex connector, WTF is this from?

That explains the smoke smell. WTF is this from? Looks like it says Cessna 9155001-1. I can see "LIGHT" and "TEST PCB rear end", but some Googling doesn't return that exact part number or any clues what this thing did.

Now, I know you guys are wondering, where's the beef?

Looks delicious.

I didn't find a note. Thanks, mystery Santa!

I feel bad for my super low-effort SS gift this year, I have an infant as my excuse. I'll do better next time. At least it was a cool thing, and an awesome thing...

I found the note in my car after dropping this in the post office. Glad you liked the random assortment of stuff. The mug came with the house and was the only thing I put in the "useful" category, unless you particularly need a Garmin Pilot subscription (over $500 value! :stonk:).

That circuit card is a Cessna 550B Lighting Test Assembly PCB. A previous install had left a wire free-floating, and that let all the smoke out when it shorted to the airframe. Solid piece of kit from 1980 reduced to worthless scrap in six seconds.

That connector? No clue what it goes to. It showed up on my toolbox one day. I don't know what uses five pins plus two coax. Look up that milspec part number and you can find all manner of tooling for it.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

A Small Car posted:

I got home late last night to discover a package from a far away place!*

Glad one of them finally got there, you should be getting another in the next couple of days as well. Unfortunately the store I ordered from didn't give me an option to include a note. I saw you were doing the book barn SS as well so figured a couple of AI related books would be sufficiently confusing :v:. The next one is probably more :australia: but Aussie Muscle is a good representation of local car culture by itself, hope you enjoy them.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

That connector? No clue what it goes to. It showed up on my toolbox one day. I don't know what uses five pins plus two coax. Look up that milspec part number and you can find all manner of tooling for it.

It's an power SMA D-sub combination connector. The SMA part can handle a lot more power than the smaller d-sub pins. They also have signal ones for high frequency signals.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Thanks, Cornholio! My son's going to be rocking the M1 shirt immediately. My current multi-bit screwdriver's big flaw is being too stubby, and this one is a perfect complement. I'm also really tired of using my phone to shine a light into crannies when looking for dropped bolts and whatnot, so this pick-up tool is fantastic. I have a box of nitrile gloves, but no real ones, so these work gloves will come in handy. I got a new wash mitt and some car cleaning products for Christmas, too, so these microfiber cloths will be getting some use this coming weekend. Awesome gifts, almost eerily well chosen.

Steely Dad fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 30, 2019

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
I received a box from the good ol USA

What could be inside? Tons of Goaty T shirts! Shirts fo errbody!

Along with a whole bunch of stickers, a classy coaster collection, a microfiber nestling a mysterious pair of keys and a hat that im sure has a sordid past (held hostage by my youngest).

Then hidden in a box within the box, was the jackpot! A scale model of my very own shitbox Levin!!

Thanks so much angryrobots. You absolutely nailed it.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Absolutely! As it happens, the only Levin model I could find anywhere happened to be on eBay very close to me, so it just seemed serendipitous that it should be included.

The hat and keys were found in my 1965 C10. The keys are from an old Mercury. No idea how any of it ended up in the truck.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh hey, UTEP! My dad got his masters there, and my gf's mother was a professor there for a long time.

Not often I see my home town represented on these here forums (except when A Small Car gets involved :v:)

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Ephphatha posted:

Glad one of them finally got there, you should be getting another in the next couple of days as well. Unfortunately the store I ordered from didn't give me an option to include a note. I saw you were doing the book barn SS as well so figured a couple of AI related books would be sufficiently confusing :v:. The next one is probably more :australia: but Aussie Muscle is a good representation of local car culture by itself, hope you enjoy them.

Thank you so much for that! I'll let you know as soon as the other package arrives. And I was a bit confused by all the books arriving, so nicely done :D

STR posted:

Oh hey, UTEP! My dad got his masters there, and my gf's mother was a professor there for a long time.

Not often I see my home town represented on these here forums (except when A Small Car gets involved :v:)

Gotta keep that El Paso love going! My dad did his masters and PHD there, one of my brother's and myself each got a bachelor's degree there, I almost finished a masters there, and I think I'm going to go back soon for either a masters or PHD, depending on how I get advised. It's a better school than most people give it credit for.

A Small Car fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 30, 2019

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Dadliest Worrier posted:

Thanks, Cornholio! My son's going to be rocking the M1 shirt immediately. My current multi-bit screwdriver's big flaw is being too stubby, and this one is a perfect complement. I'm also really tired of using my phone to shine a light into crannies when looking for dropped bolts and whatnot, so this pick-up tool is fantastic. I have a box of nitrile gloves, but no real ones, so these work gloves will come in handy. I got a new wash mitt and some car cleaning products for Christmas, too, so these microfiber cloths will be getting some use this coming weekend. Awesome gifts, almost eerily well chosen.

Glad you liked it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

A Small Car posted:

Gotta keep that El Paso love going! My dad did his masters and PHD there, one of my brother's and myself each got a bachelor's degree there, I almost finished a masters there, and I think I'm going to go back soon for either a masters or PHD, depending on how I get advised. It's a better school than most people give it credit for.

It's a fantastic engineering and business school, pretty drat cheap, and not that hard to get into. And it's still part of the UT system, which is very well regarded.

........ aside from sports (UT Austin excluded, holy poo poo Longhorn Fever is insane here in Austin). I have zero chance of ever getting admitted to UT itself, but most other schools in the UT system (outside of UT Dallas), I have a decent chance at, if I ever want to go back. I'd probably wind up back at UNT if/when I do go back though, even though it would mean leaving Austin for a bit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 30, 2019

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

I had a bloke knock on my door this morning with a big long tube for me.

Inside was a bag of lego and a smaller tube. Though it's not the size that matters but what you put it inside. Err, what you put inside it rather :v:

The lego kit was a Speed Champions 75892 McLaren Senna and the poster is a set of diagrams from a patent application for what looks like a census device. As you can see I got stuck into the kit straight away, it's been years since I've had a play with lego but it's still fun as an adult (or at least a 30 year old kid). The poster is really nice as well, I'm in a rental so I need to find a frame before I can hang it but it'll find a place soon.

There was a note from the store but nothing from Santa that I could see. Thanks mystery Santa :D

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Ephphatha posted:

I had a bloke knock on my door this morning with a big long tube for me.

Inside was a bag of lego and a smaller tube. Though it's not the size that matters but what you put it inside. Err, what you put inside it rather :v:

The lego kit was a Speed Champions 75892 McLaren Senna and the poster is a set of diagrams from a patent application for what looks like a census device. As you can see I got stuck into the kit straight away, it's been years since I've had a play with lego but it's still fun as an adult (or at least a 30 year old kid). The poster is really nice as well, I'm in a rental so I need to find a frame before I can hang it but it'll find a place soon.

There was a note from the store but nothing from Santa that I could see. Thanks mystery Santa :D

I’m so relieved that your package was finally delivered! I shipped it the fastest method available and it has been sitting in Australia for ages, maybe the fires causing delays? I had to remove the LEGO set from the original box to better fit the packaging; hope you don’t mind. The print is from the patent drawing of the first computer. Searching your post history made me think you do a bit of coding and PC work/gaming so I thought it could be a cool piece. I hope that you’re able to find a suitable frame in moon units from the queens measurements that we print on :911:.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Received my present yesterday, thanks for the package Santa! I'll post photos in a bit.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yay, I am glad it got there before the end of the year. I forgot the note too but suffice to say, we here at Tinal Heavy Industries pride ourselves in our ability to source only the finest automocars for our discerning clients. We hope the selection we have provided you with this holiday season are to your satisfaction. We wish you and your's a happy and safe holidays and new year.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I’m so relieved that your package was finally delivered! I shipped it the fastest method available and it has been sitting in Australia for ages, maybe the fires causing delays? I had to remove the LEGO set from the original box to better fit the packaging; hope you don’t mind. The print is from the patent drawing of the first computer. Searching your post history made me think you do a bit of coding and PC work/gaming so I thought it could be a cool piece. I hope that you’re able to find a suitable frame in moon units from the queens measurements that we print on :911:.

Thanks heaps :). The highways across the mountains have been closed for a bit so that might've caused delays, but it's more likely that Australian customs are just being slow as gently caress. Definitely didn't mind the repackaging. Also I finally looked up that patent, first computer is a claim that's always debatable but even considering it as the first device designed to read data it's impressive.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Alright what do we have here

Yessssss, one can never have enough premium Hot Wheels. I have so many Miatas already but I think I'll turn this one into a key for my actual car.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yay, I am glad it got there before the end of the year. I forgot the note too but suffice to say, we here at Tinal Heavy Industries pride ourselves in our ability to source only the finest automocars for our discerning clients. We hope the selection we have provided you with this holiday season are to your satisfaction. We wish you and your's a happy and safe holidays and new year.

Mos def, they'll fit right into my collection :D Thanks again!

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

Ephphatha posted:

Got home to the other book last night!

This is so loving cool, it honestly might be my favorite gift I received this year. Thank you!

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I’m guessing these came from my secret Santa either that or I ordered things from amazon without realizing.

Thanks.

helno fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 4, 2020

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Sharkytm was a great santa. The licence plate is going in the garage with the rest. Ive been using the dead blow non stop at work and it doesn't quit. I dont know what the lens is for or what the little welded doodad is. The stickers are on my work toolbox and garage. Thanks.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The welded doodad is the remains of a temperature probe that spent a year in a hydrothermal vent on the East Pacific Rise. The HOV Alvin snapped it off to retrieve the temperature and attitude logger it was attached to. There should still be discoloration on the end from the vent fluid. The connector and probe are Titanium.

The lens is an old Nikonos lens, made by Nikon for underwater use. It's neat because the knobs change the aperture and focus mechanically, including moving the depth of field indicators apart as you stop down the lens. That particular lens came out of a pile of old WHOI cameras, and probably imaged the Titanic.

The hammer is a Trusty-Cook, who make the best dead blows out there. It's one of their blemished hammers, I think one face is concave (that's the blemish). I've yet to bust one.

The plate is from my wife's mom's old Lancia, I think. Or a Savanna van.

Rock on man! I'll bet you're the only guy in your shop with those stickers.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
goddamn that is some cool underwater poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
How did you get the broken probe tip back?