Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Because it was twoo tired :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
threw some 42mm pathfinders on the sbeater. After running cross/trail kings for years on every terrain, I love these tires.

New tire day, first ride, first puncture, this is the way.

And I signed up to race this old bucket in a cx race in a week. I am stoooked.

I am in love with this old bike once again. good. Because it's also a commuter now across gravel, busted roads, busted MUPs, and city poo poo with all it entails.
Need to start sewing up the frame bag for it to haul all the gorbage i'm gonna eat.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 30, 2023

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah man, good to see you here.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Walked out the front door, rode ~25 miles down the towpath, had a lovely night in the tent, and then rode home. First bikepacking overnighter, totally hooked, completely rules. I spent a lot of time doing backpacking in the past, and I love how low the barrier is for getting out bikepacking in comparison.

Need to order a tumbleweed t-rack. The drybag on the saddle hack worked but it was annoying, and I could really use the sides of the t-rack for more water. Other than that, the setup feels really nice. Loaded bikes feel great.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 30, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What all did you manage to pack on that? Any cooking equipment?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

A MIRACLE posted:

What all did you manage to pack on that? Any cooking equipment?

Yep!
Handlebar bag has my cook system, two freezer bag meals, first aid and little essentials bag, sleep clothes, fresh socks/underwear, battery bank, usb cable, bonus snacks.
Feed bag has a bottle and snacks.
Frame bag upper has the full shelter, single pole is tucked between the top tube and the frame bag.
Frame bag lower has a 1L platypus, bike tool kit/pump/plugs, and tent stakes
Seat pack has the sleeping bag, static v2 pad, and an inflatable pillow.

Stuff moved around on the return trip but that's most of it. I actually work right off the towpath so I stopped in and refilled water and drank some coffee on the way home. I think any other trip I'd need more water and would be pretty tight on space. The fork cage is actually 3d printed, and I need to make another one so I can carry another liter on the other side.

Pot made out of a beer can (Zelph ridgeline), a little carbon wick alcohol stove with a built in stand (also made by Zelph), aluminum windscreen, a liteload towel as a hot pad and a cuben fiber stuff sack. I've got a couple thousand miles and about 12 years of backpacking on this general setup, but the stove has varied over the years. It's been an esbit tray stove, a remote fueled Minibull stove, penny stoves, catfood can stoves, etc. The lightest it's ever been is with esbit, and that was under 3oz total including a mini bic lighter.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 30, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm gonna be a dumbass and ask what a platypus is, I know it's not a beaver with a beak

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Soft bottle, like a hydration pouch but smaller and without a hose. It's nice for shoving in places that are shaped sorta weird, and really good for extra bulk storage because they fold down really small when empty.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

doing a big gravel on monday

gonna make use of that 1:1 gear ratio

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

doing a big gravel on monday

gonna make use of that 1:1 gear ratio

*eating popcorn and waiting*

;D

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is toe overlap unavoidable on a gravel bike? Built up a Framed Basswood and I've almost destroyed myself a few times on tight singletrack switchbacks. Curious if it's specific to that frame or if some bikes avoid it.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You can prevent it by removing fenders, using shorter cranks, smaller wheels, smaller tires, smaller feet, and with pedal placement and timing,

On my Kona Rove it can be an issue with slow tight turns if’s wearing fenders. I think gravel bikes tend to have issues with it because they’re essentially road frames with big tires and often ridden at slow speed with tight maneuvering

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Bit muddy and rutted in places today but had a very good ride (and mud > sand anyway)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is this the gravel racing thread as well? I'm gearing up for a few races next year after not getting an entry for Steamboat. Anyone else have things planned yet?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I am prepping for Foco Fondo, Salida76, and BWR:KS next year, depending on vacation availability, if I move as planned, and how well I prep over winter. A couple others would be nice stretch goals, but that will keep me busy. I wanted to do a couple of those this year but poo poo just didn't work out.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

Is this the gravel racing thread as well? I'm gearing up for a few races next year after not getting an entry for Steamboat. Anyone else have things planned yet?

The very spirit of gravel hinges on whether these events should be considered races for people who aren't gunning for podium spots.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

I am prepping for Foco Fondo, Salida76, and BWR:KS next year, depending on vacation availability, if I move as planned, and how well I prep over winter. A couple others would be nice stretch goals, but that will keep me busy. I wanted to do a couple of those this year but poo poo just didn't work out.

Nice. I'm looking at doing Bighorn Gravel in June and then Rad Dirt Fest in September. Salida76 looks similar location wise. What made you choose it?

kimbo305 posted:

The very spirit of gravel hinges on whether these events should be considered races for people who aren't gunning for podium spots.

Gravel TT?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Nice. I'm looking at doing Bighorn Gravel in June and then Rad Dirt Fest in September. Salida76 looks similar location wise. What made you choose it?

Gravel TT?
Heard about Salida first. Never been there, but kinda decided it looked like a challenge and decided to do the full version before I turn 40. So 76km lite version 2024 and the full 76mi in 2025.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Boulder Roubiax, Ned Gravel, Locos Gravel, Lefthand Gravel, Crippler are all events in CO that might be fun too.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

ilkhan posted:

Heard about Salida first. Never been there, but kinda decided it looked like a challenge and decided to do the full version before I turn 40. So 76km lite version 2024 and the full 76mi in 2025.

Salida is a lot of fun and part of the Arkansas River area, which I think is one of the best places in the state. Really good MTB around there too at S Mountain, Methodist Mtn and the CT. BV is also just up the road with good trails and then Leadville another 45m north of that and Monarch is close to the south.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

Salida is a lot of fun and part of the Arkansas River area, which I think is one of the best places in the state. Really good MTB around there too at S Mountain, Methodist Mtn and the CT. BV is also just up the road with good trails and then Leadville another 45m north of that and Monarch is close to the south.
Wife wants to turn it into a whole week in the state, doing Sand dune NP, Blue Mesa reservoir for hiking/camping/picnic/TBD, and stopping back in CO springs for a couple days with horseback ride at Garden of the Gods. Seems like a good week to me.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Scored a pair of entries to Spirit World 100 in November 2nd. Truly the spirit of gravel. (That is: expensive as hell)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mountain bike trails are gravel
bit of road too
and leaf covered streams, of course

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Looks beautiful. Approximate location? I'm guessing PNW. We just got snowed on here so no riding for the next week.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah PNW, north of Seattle. I’m considering doing the loop again this weekend but don’t know if a solo ride in such cold temps is a good idea

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

amenenema posted:

*eating popcorn and waiting*

;D

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

yeah PNW, north of Seattle. I’m considering doing the loop again this weekend but don’t know if a solo ride in such cold temps is a good idea
this was from october but whatever, scenery looks so similar i was trying to figure out if ive been there or not.

so this is the ride that it only rained 4 of the 5 hours that we were out there, still an awesome time. wish i could have captured some of the scenes on the descents but by that time we were starting to get really cold and bonk was setting in and no one including me really wanted to stop for a photo op.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9965028930

Love this poo poo.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looks awesome

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

since the last week the ground has been nothing but snow and ice, here is the last "big" ride I did

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Anyone have a new Grail? Size L by chance? I cant seem to see the stem length anywhere

Looking at new gravel bike and am a sucker for integrated storage etc, and have a preference for 2x electric shifting. But the one piece bar and stem is always a concern from a direct to consumer company as can’t really test it.

Or do I just go with a Revolt Pro as I can get one at an LBS

There seems to be a lack of 2x electric group set gravel bikes out there :( (well without getting too crazy price wise).

In NZ as well so don’t really get good deals with more low key brands with shipping and exchange rates.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

kaiwero posted:

Anyone have a new Grail? Size L by chance? I cant seem to see the stem length anywhere

Looking at new gravel bike and am a sucker for integrated storage etc, and have a preference for 2x electric shifting. But the one piece bar and stem is always a concern from a direct to consumer company as can’t really test it.

There seems to be a lack of 2x electric group set gravel bikes out there :( (well without getting too crazy price wise).

In NZ as well so don’t really get good deals with more low key brands with shipping and exchange rates.

Size L

Spacer in mm
Cockpit Dimensions
70-440
Crank Length in mm
[Etc]

So 70mm stem, which I guess means they have quite high reach to account for the short stem.
It's under Geometry & dimensions>Component dimensions

The wide bars on the new Grail would put me off a bit, especially since they're integrated

It looks like the current Revolt has 2x at least

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

One of two bikes put together, that's my partner's. Gotta put together my Giant today :getin:

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Size L

Spacer in mm
Cockpit Dimensions
70-440
Crank Length in mm
[Etc]

So 70mm stem, which I guess means they have quite high reach to account for the short stem.
It's under Geometry & dimensions>Component dimensions

The wide bars on the new Grail would put me off a bit, especially since they're integrated

It looks like the current Revolt has 2x at least

Ahhh cheers, I thought I had looked all over that page must have somehow missed it.

Yeah the width I'm comfortable with as already ride with 440mm.

The TT length with that stem length puts it in the realm of my current dimensions but yeah always a roll of the dice with integrated bar and stem if I can't try it before buying.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looks like my gravel/event schedule is set!

June 23rd: Bighorn Gravel
August 18th: Stew that I didn't get an entry for Steamboat
September 28th: Rad Dirt Fest

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Looks like my gravel/event schedule is set!

June 23rd: Bighorn Gravel
August 18th: Stew that I didn't get an entry for Steamboat
September 28th: Rad Dirt Fest
Come ride salida76 with me in september.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

kaiwero posted:

The fit is nearly guaranteed to be wrong with stock barstems, just as it is with stock handlebars and stems almost all the time. I don’t see any benefit in a barstem on a gravel bike which won’t be particularly light or aerodynamic in any scenario.

The size L is a 70mm stem and 44cm bars. Short stem but the frame is at least 30mm longer than normal road geometry to adjust for that. I wouldn’t want 44cm bars ever personally.

Also, a size L Canyon is massive, for people of about 6’3”+. How tall are you?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ilkhan posted:

Come ride salida76 with me in september.

Drove by salida last weekend. Seems like a nice place to bike.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Residency Evil posted:

Its a great weekend ride/trip.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

deong posted:

Its a great weekend ride/trip.
I hope so. Never actually been there, but we're gonna make a week out of it, enjoy the scenery and location some. Not living in CO (yet, pending jobs), but this is one event I just kindve latched onto and decided I wanted to do. Short version this year, and pushing to the full next year.

I'm rather annoyed they scheduled Tour of the Moon the same day as the Salida race, I'd have loved to have done both on the trip on successive weekends. Oh well.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

wooger posted:

The fit is nearly guaranteed to be wrong with stock barstems, just as it is with stock handlebars and stems almost all the time. I don’t see any benefit in a barstem on a gravel bike which won’t be particularly light or aerodynamic in any scenario.

The size L is a 70mm stem and 44cm bars. Short stem but the frame is at least 30mm longer than normal road geometry to adjust for that. I wouldn’t want 44cm bars ever personally.

Also, a size L Canyon is massive, for people of about 6’3”+. How tall are you?

Yeah have been playing around with the geometry, and its slightly off my current gravel bike fit (the dotted line if the Grail). I already use a 44cm bar so that's not so much an issue.

https://imgur.com/a/KkhcXKX

Using the Canyon 'fit system' it has put me smack bang in the middle of large (6'2", 88cm inseam). I think with my height, I'd be maxing out the seatpost on an M frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Recommend me a wheelset! Some context:

- Looking to keep it under ~$1500
- Will be running 40-45c tires most of the time
- May occasionally throw some 32c tires on for road, so I'd like to avoid hookless if possible, but not a total deal breaker since I wouldn't be pushing spec trying to get like 25s on them
- Open to Chinese carbon if it seems like I can get replacement parts/warranty
- I'm in Michigan so the gravel here is really mild in terms of surface but the hills are short/punchy so I'm thinking lighter weight might beat out aero, but I'd still like something in the 45mm depth range if it doesn't raise the weight significantly

Thanks for any thoughts!