Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Safety Dance posted:

Yes there's a pandemic on, but we can acknowledge that without dog piling on El Laucha for sharing gravel riding pics in the thread for gravel riding. He's not going to un-take that trip.

They did acknowledge it respectfully without dogpiling on him, so I’m glad we’re all in agreement. The pictures are beautiful, the ride looks amazing, and there’s an ongoing pandemic. I think we’re all looking forward to doing rides like that when it’s safe. It’s ridiculous that you’re bristling in response to people politely and correctly pointing out that this sort of thing is contradicted by basically all public health guidance.

Anyway, I rode some dirt and met some turkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I'm not gonna be as polite as Bud. With that said.

Are you seriously using your mod status to admonish us for a very gentle response to someone posting destination travel group ride pics during a pandemic (not to mention already planning another trip during the pandemic...no, it's not going to be over by March)?

Look, a lot of us had plans like that kind of trip that we canceled because of the pandemic. A lot of us have family we have not seen and will not see because of the pandemic. For all I know we have people in here who have friends and family who have died because of this pandemic. 360 THOUSAND people have died in the US from this. Many of us are trying to do our part to keep ourselves and others safe even though it means scaling back or canceling things that are important or exciting to us or big plans we were looking forward to. We're not making travel plans to someplace with zero ICU capacity and massive problems controlling the pandemic.

I was not going to make a big post about this but again if I'm going to get admonished by a mod from a completely reasonable response then gently caress it I'm gonna get my word in. Everyone's got their excuses as to why they are the ones that are different and the rules shouldn't apply to them and no really it's fine because you see they're more careful than everyone else and every excuse is garbage as the rest of them.

Shame on you for that bullshit response, Safety Dance

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

I'm not gonna be as polite as Bud. With that said.

Are you seriously using your mod status to admonish us for a very gentle response to someone posting destination travel group ride pics during a pandemic (not to mention already planning another trip during the pandemic...no, it's not going to be over by March)?

Look, a lot of us had plans like that kind of trip that we canceled because of the pandemic. A lot of us have family we have not seen and will not see because of the pandemic. For all I know we have people in here who have friends and family who have died because of this pandemic. 360 THOUSAND people have died in the US from this. Many of us are trying to do our part to keep ourselves and others safe even though it means scaling back or canceling things that are important or exciting to us or big plans we were looking forward to. We're not making travel plans to someplace with zero ICU capacity and massive problems controlling the pandemic.

I was not going to make a big post about this but again if I'm going to get admonished by a mod from a completely reasonable response then gently caress it I'm gonna get my word in. Everyone's got their excuses as to why they are the ones that are different and the rules shouldn't apply to them and no really it's fine because you see they're more careful than everyone else and every excuse is garbage as the rest of them.

:yossame:

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Levitate posted:

:same:

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, sorry, it’s a completely reasonable dogpile considering the circumstances. El Laucha’s a good poster but you really gotta read the room rn.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm sorry for my bad take. I quite literally haven't left my apartment in almost a month. In my mind, there's no amount of scolding that's going to change somebody's mind at this point so we might as well just look at the pictures, but your reactions are equally valid.

Levitate posted:

mod status

Hah! What am I going to do, threaten somebody with a sixer?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

and gently caress it here's some pics from the last two days of gravel riding (gotta get up early to get miles in)

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Really sad no one has posted a screenshot from Jungle Loop yet. Gravel for the Year 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sorry for my bad take. I quite literally haven't left my apartment in almost a month. In my mind, there's no amount of scolding that's going to change somebody's mind at this point so we might as well just look at the pictures, but your reactions are equally valid.

Hah! What am I going to do, threaten somebody with a sixer?

I appreciate the response. I feel like when someone with a star next to their name, even if they're an IK, posts "guidelines" in a thread or tells people to post a certain way, there is an implied threat behind that as well that includes escalation beyond 6 hour probes, which is why I reacted the way I did.

El Laucha's trip looks real cool, it just also makes me uncomfortable and frustrated to see large group rides and such.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice
My take on that group ride post is this:

There are millions of people doing things every day you wouldn't approve of (and shouldn't be allowed) during this pandemic: weddings, parties, clubs, eating out. We just happen to (mostly) be part of the 20% of America that actually gives a poo poo. Welcome to being a high conscientiousness individual, everything sucks.

It's not ideal that homeboy took a trip overseas to ride bikes. But, you know, I'm here for bike pics, and he delivered. I can let it slide.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dreadite posted:

There are millions of people doing things every day you wouldn't approve of (and shouldn't be allowed) during this pandemic: weddings, parties, clubs, eating out. We just happen to (mostly) be part of the 20% of America that actually gives a poo poo. Welcome to being a high conscientiousness individual, everything sucks.

It's not ideal that homeboy took a trip overseas to ride bikes. But, you know, I'm here for bike pics, and he delivered. I can let it slide.

Nah. We can't let it slide because we've given up our shared pasttime to get through this and he hasn't. Also he is part of a tighter community than "millions of people" around the world.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

TobinHatesYou posted:

Nah. We can't let it slide because we've given up our shared pasttime to get through this and he hasn't. Also he is part of a tighter community than "millions of people" around the world.

well good luck man, surely people will change their behavior regarding this pandemic if they just see how much personal sacrifice you're enduring

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dreadite posted:

well good luck man, surely people will change their behavior regarding this pandemic if they just see how much personal sacrifice you're enduring

Kindly get hosed.

v/r,
e.pilot

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e: you know, I've said my part

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 30, 2020

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dreadite posted:

What a weird topic to make your entry to the thread on.

Post some grav of your own and quite harshing the positive vibes with your dumb takes.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Not minding all of the possible impact on the workers involved with this group or the people randomly in contact along the way if the tests somehow happened to be inaccurate or someone lied to just to go along doesn't seem to demonstrate high conscientiousness but that could just be me. :shrug:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Dreadite posted:

don't be a sarcastic rear end in a top hat to people who are politely and correctly identifying antisocial behavior that has the potential to put others at risk.

Dreadite
Dec 31, 2004

College Slice

bicievino posted:

What a weird topic to make your entry to the thread on.

Post some grav of your own and quite harshing the positive vibes with your dumb takes.

i don't even ride bikes man

edit: I will apologize and admit for a moment I forgot this isn't the c-spam covid thread. You guys should definitely not look at that thread, though.

Dreadite fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Dec 31, 2020

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
How about that bike riding? It's good stuff!

Weather sucks though. I don't mind snow like this but the 38 degree rain is the worst.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Weather sucks though. I don't mind snow like this but the 38 degree rain is the worst.

Love that trail. I have gotten snowed/rained on most of the times I've done it, though.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

gohuskies posted:

Nope, hate it.

Also hi thread!

almost bought a gravel bike, this'll do

at least till I wear it out a few times then turn it into amonstercross bike

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Dec 31, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
found some gravel. slightly less scenic.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
here's me an my friends riding gravel earlier today

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

French Canadian posted:

No aerobars, can't be real gravel.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

French Canadian posted:

😍

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

French Canadian posted:

wear a helmet :colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't know why but zwift makes me look fat. Maybe I need to check my scale's accuracy.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Uh, sorry about the bad vibe created by my post, I should’ve clarified that I live in Chile and all participants were local, most drove here to avoid flying domestic.

E: we have 15k active cases out of 18m population.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 31, 2020

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Can someone point me in the right direction for a good starting out gravel bike? I have a Jeffsy comp CF but wanted something a little better for paved riding (we have for example a 60 mile paved bike greenway) while still maintaining that "go anywhere" feel. I think I want one that can fit either knobby tires or road tires but don't know what wheel size would accommodate that

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Razzled posted:

Can someone point me in the right direction for a good starting out gravel bike? I have a Jeffsy comp CF but wanted something a little better for paved riding (we have for example a 60 mile paved bike greenway) while still maintaining that "go anywhere" feel. I think I want one that can fit either knobby tires or road tires but don't know what wheel size would accommodate that

Can you give a bit more guideline on what your price range is?

Are you interested in group riding at all?

What's your opinion on mail order vs. buying from a shop in person?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

bicievino posted:

Can you give a bit more guideline on what your price range is?

Are you interested in group riding at all?

What's your opinion on mail order vs. buying from a shop in person?

I'd like to stay under 2k, online is preferable to a shop since the stores around me gave me bad experiences. At thew moment I prefer solo riding because my goals are fitness oriented, I hate slowing others down. I'm talking like a 10 mile ride is hard for me. I bought the jeffsy off ebay and its been awesome.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I rode some gravel today.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Razzled posted:

I'd like to stay under 2k, online is preferable to a shop since the stores around me gave me bad experiences. At thew moment I prefer solo riding because my goals are fitness oriented, I hate slowing others down. I'm talking like a 10 mile ride is hard for me. I bought the jeffsy off ebay and its been awesome.

For mostly road riding in mostly flat terrain, a double is a good call despite how "on trend" 1x is.
For the top end price you cite, I'd really recommend not setting for anything less than hydro disc and 11spd (that means at least Shimano 105, GRX 600, or SRAM rival / apex 1x).

Lead times on stock are LONG and going to get longer across the board. If you can find a deal in stock locally, jump on it.

This is at the top of your price range, but is a great value. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/gravel-bikes/all-road/grail/grail-7/2837.html Lead time is three months, though.

This is an amazing deal for a 105-level bike
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-al-orange-shimano-105/
But availability times may be impacted by Brexit...

Overall - your search is going to be a balance of availability vs. price vs. spec. I can't tell you how to weight those various factors.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Razzled posted:

A note of caution if you get a bike by mail - either be good with tools (and willing to buy some tools as needed) or have a friend or bike shop that you can trust to help out with any fixes and tune ups. We got two bikes by mail this year and while I’m pleased with them now, they took a bit of self-teaching about bike maintenance and assembly, and some purchases of new tools, to get them running great. If I weren’t good with tools and willing to learn stuff like truing a wheel or changing out a stem, I probably would’ve had a bad time.

That said, if you want to keep things on the cheaper side, I’m enjoying the $700 Poseidon X that I got in the mail a couple of months ago. I feel like I got a pretty decent amount of bike for my money... but then again, it could be that I just don’t know any better. I only just got back into riding bikes this fall after not having one for over a decade, so I definitely don’t know what I’m missing out on with a more expensive bike. (And mine was not quite ready to go right out of the box - it arrived with the front wheel out of true and one of the disc brakes rubbing against the rotor a bit. Also the stock saddle was absolute hell on my taint.)

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Strange to be riding outside right now.

Think there's some more snow coming tonight so it could be awhile before i get back out.

Wound up very muddy, but the little fender and goretex shoes help. That saddle (pro stealth offroad) has mounting bolts on the bottom and there are a bunch of accessories you can get for it like a gopro mount, tube/co2 carrier, saddle bag, and a fender. I just drilled two holes in an rear end saver I had already though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 3, 2021

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
My wife and I brought our bikes to Palm Springs and rode around town looking for gravel. There’s some in the city and way more north of the 10 - unfortunately when I was looking for rides on Strava and Ride With GPS I didn’t think about some of the access challenges that we might run into. Still made for an enjoyable day!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Recently got some new gravel shoes but seeing how it's winter in montana I haven't tried them out yet. Decided to do something about that earlier.

First, need to get the right bike, cervelo's aspero, in purple

Also, appropriate attire is important, and I thought the earth tone digital camo seemed right

Plus the pattern matches the new shoes

Seeing how I'm on a gravel bike in my gravel shoes I picked a gravel route - serpentine 8 that goes on the new road in the jungle

Looking so gravel. Casual sunglasses too of course

My only regret is I forgot to change my socks

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I think your saddle is too low, bro. Or do you have a dropper on the Aspero?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Pretty cool how many drops does it cost to set your PSI at 40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

In 40mm nanos, tubeless, I generally run about 29 front, 37 rear, and weigh about 160.

Yesterday the sunshine and apparent 40+ outdoor temps almost fooled me into trying those shoes out for real. But in the debate of "would I rather have warm toes or probably cold toes," warmth won, and then it was like 33f at the end of the ride so I made the right choice. It was a nice ride but sticking to pavement would have been smarter. First I detoured down to the river and wound up riding on some ice, then I took this dirt road and wound up riding on more ice, then mud, then found another muddy road, and then my nice clean bike started making noises and not shifting right again.

Turns out I didn't take any pictures on that one but I have a couple from the day before, when I went down the bitterroot (or up, according to the direction of the river).

It's not a very exciting ride as you're mostly on MUP, but that path does go 50 miles from Missoula to Hamilton, and hwy 93 sucks to ride on. When they were finally finishing the section just south of town I rode the highway a couple times and couldn't help but think of how dumb it would be to get killed right before the path opened. Once you get past lolo there's a short section of frontage road that's a nice detour and then you can make a loop by getting on some other side and back roads between florence and stevensville. I was thinking of going down that far but got bored and then a friend who lives down there said some of it was icy yesterday.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 8, 2021