Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I rode gravel this weekend. I haven't done that in a spell. I'm really looking forward to warmer days ahead now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 26" tire for mixed gravel/pavement? My commuter/gravel bike needs new summer tires pretty badly and I haven't heard anything (good or bad) about any 26er tires besides gravelking SKs. I probably spend more miles on pavement than gravel, but I'd like to change that this summer since I have a lot more route options riding dirt and gravel than pavement. Still, I think it might be nice to have something with smoother tread in the center than the SKs for riding in town.

Are you going to be riding in the mud/wet at all?
If not, you can probably get away just fine with 100% slicks. I do most of my gravel riding on the smooth gravelkings.
In 26" something like the Conti Contact Speed might be a good option for you.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

bicievino posted:

Are you going to be riding in the mud/wet at all?
If not, you can probably get away just fine with 100% slicks. I do most of my gravel riding on the smooth gravelkings.
In 26" something like the Conti Contact Speed might be a good option for you.

I don't go looking for mud and wet, but if it's wet when I need to commute or muddy when I have time for a ride, I don't let it stop me. It doesn't happen a ton, but every year is a little different for precipitation. I've seen stuff like the Kenda kross plus, Kuji bulldozer, Conti double fighter, and maxxis DTH that all look about how I'd imagine a tire that meets my needs would look. I don't really know much about kenda or kuji, but the impression I've gotten about cont and maxxis is that they're reputable brands.

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

Anyone had experience with Soma Cazaderos? I'm looking to put some fatter rubber on my bike (more than 47mm but less than 55) but trying to keep the rolling resistance reasonably low. The other option would be Gravelking SKs in 27.5x2.1. I know those are great tires but maybe a bit knobby in the center.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I ran the 42 on two bike tours where I saw a tiny fraction of gravel. In hindsight, not nearly enough to justify the increase rolling resistance over, say, a Soma Shikoro.

But it handles well on gravel (better than a slick) and the center strip rolls without any buzz on asphalt.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Biggus Duckus posted:

Anyone had experience with Soma Cazaderos? I'm looking to put some fatter rubber on my bike (more than 47mm but less than 55) but trying to keep the rolling resistance reasonably low. The other option would be Gravelking SKs in 27.5x2.1. I know those are great tires but maybe a bit knobby in the center.

The cazadero is fast but really fragile in my experience.

I went from those to the Schwalbe Thunder Burt with the more durable casing and it was great. The Burts are silly fast for their size.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
For the wife's 50th birthday we are going to Catalina Island for 3 days in early April. And since she and the kids are all lazy slugs when on vacation, I will have 3 hours each morning to ride some of the gravel roads. Looking at street view and taking a look at some write ups people have posted, it seems to be a gravel paradise. Actual gravel roads closed to most cars. Some of it looks steep, but nothing a 31x34 can't handle. Much of south Orange County is a bit mountain bikey, so this would be a nice change.

I am normally not good about posting pics from rides, so I will try to remember and report back next month.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I’ve heard it’s awesome riding, have fun!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

Much of south Orange County is a bit mountain bikey

And that's how I ended up with 11-42 on the rear, and have a GRX crank on backorder.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I've ridden maybe 3 times with cargo bibs, but I think this is really the way for gravel.
You can wear a normal shirt up top and still have easy access to your phone and other stuff. And still have 3 normal bib pockets for things you don't need to access all the time.

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Snow is a kind of gravel right?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

For the wife's 50th birthday we are going to Catalina Island for 3 days in early April. And since she and the kids are all lazy slugs when on vacation, I will have 3 hours each morning to ride some of the gravel roads. Looking at street view and taking a look at some write ups people have posted, it seems to be a gravel paradise. Actual gravel roads closed to most cars. Some of it looks steep, but nothing a 31x34 can't handle. Much of south Orange County is a bit mountain bikey, so this would be a nice change.

I am normally not good about posting pics from rides, so I will try to remember and report back next month.

I’ve done a bike packing trip on Catalina on my gravel bike, you’re in for some fine riding. The immediate climb out of town up to the airport is kind of a rude awakening (and on tarmac) but unloaded it is fine. After that it’s all great! We camped at Parsons landing and had a blast

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007

tylertfb posted:

I’ve done a bike packing trip on Catalina on my gravel bike, you’re in for some fine riding. The immediate climb out of town up to the airport is kind of a rude awakening (and on tarmac) but unloaded it is fine. After that it’s all great! We camped at Parsons landing and had a blast

I have been looking at ride reports from Catalina bikepackers and I really want to try it. In theory, camping looks fun. But I am over 50 and have never done anything other than a few cub scout era car camping trips. That may change as I just ordered a set of bags from Urban Desert. I figure if I have them, I better use them. The first order of business will be a local overnight off of Ortega Highway. I'll take a roundabout gravel route to the camp site and go back the same way. Maybe 80-90 miles total. And if things go horribly wrong, the wife or son can come get me as it is only 15 miles away by car.

Fuuuuckkkkk, I am so soft.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I ended up picking up some schwalbe hurricanes for the 26" commuter/gravel rig. Smooth enough center tread, a little knob on the sides for dirt roads.

Losing nearly 500g per tire from my studded winter tires feels great every year. Makes it feel like a brand new bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I ended up picking up some schwalbe hurricanes for the 26" commuter/gravel rig. Smooth enough center tread, a little knob on the sides for dirt roads.

Losing nearly 500g per tire from my studded winter tires feels great every year. Makes it feel like a brand new bike.

On one build, I went from 26x2.5 Hookworms at 1250g (each) to Extraterrestrials at 'only' 990g.
Even with extra tread pattern, it was like when Harrison Bergeron threw off his handicaps.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

kimbo305 posted:

On one build, I went from 26x2.5 Hookworms at 1250g (each) to Extraterrestrials at 'only' 990g.
Even with extra tread pattern, it was like when Harrison Bergeron threw off his handicaps.

Lol I misread that as hubcaps at first and had to go read the plot on Wikipedia to make sure I was remembering things right

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hello Grabbel Thread!

How do you/what do you use to plan out gravel rides?

I'm used to road nonsense with google maps + strava.

Is there some way to find gravel roads as an internet service? Would love to plot out a nice 50 mile'r as the weather turns warm.

If this has already been discussed, can you point me toward it?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Gravel map is trying to do that, but I haven't really gotten into it.

https://gravelmap.com/#10/46.8967/-114.0021

Around here a few of us have been adding some of the more popular routes to trailforks.

For other stuff where I need to figure out a route I like caltopo as it lets me easily make a track that follows the roads on it's own, and save maps, and slide between various layers, like a topo map with satellite imagery laid over top. And then when I'm out there, caltopo has an app but I also have backcountry navigator and maps saved on my phone. People seem to like onX but I haven't tried it.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Hello Grabbel Thread!

How do you/what do you use to plan out gravel rides?

I'm used to road nonsense with google maps + strava.

Is there some way to find gravel roads as an internet service? Would love to plot out a nice 50 mile'r as the weather turns warm.

If this has already been discussed, can you point me toward it?

Strava, GravelMap (like Jamal posted), Forest Service maps, etc.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Cool. A good start! Thanks

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Routecheck.cc has a map toggle to highlight unpaved roads wherever you are (osm data).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I get my bike back today with SKs again! Looking forward to hitting gravel trails :getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got my first "gravel ride" of the year in!

All of one mile! Still counts :colbert:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I found a muddy patch on a section line.

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

I've been wanting a gravel bike for quite a while now, beginning of August 2020, I finally bought one. It was a 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR 4. The dude at the local shop told me they'd get it in around x-mas. I didn't want to wait but I said gently caress it, alright, 2021 will be the year for me to finally have a good bike. I went in to check and see the status of it in November and the dude told me it got pushed back to the end of May. That bummed me out, was really looking forward to it. Well here we are it's nearly April, checked recently and he said it's been pushed back to September.

At this point I've had it, so I start looking up more bikes, anything similar enough that I can get my hands on...every time i check craigslist (then and now) I can never find the right size bike. So I've been looking at getting new. There's a few I started looking for: Cannondale Topstone 1, Giant Advanced Revolt 3, and Specialized Diverge Elite E5.

Well REI has the a cannondale that (hopefully) fits me, ordered it and am getting my refund with the other shop tomorrow. It should we ready in a week or so, so instead of an x-mas present for myself I'll be getting a b-day present. Pretty stoked, but at the same time not holding my breath since it's been so long.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I bought a Topstone 1 from REI late last year after dealing with a similar availability situation, and I’m loving the hell out of it so far. Hope you dig it, too!

forhorglingrads
Aug 14, 2003

That puts my mind at ease, thanks!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Gravel season is emerging in the Sierras

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is upsetting because i am not riding it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I missed you gravel!

Gonna see you tomorrow too :getin:

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
I did some gravel. It was nice gravel, although some of the gravels were very big gravels.

Also, I found out that that Swift bag fits pretty nicely in the smaller Wald basket.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
More gravel this weekend! I needed some cue card practice and a fully loaded shakedown ride for my upcoming race. Didn't take too many pictures, but I got a couple.

As always, we look at the B roads.

The B roads were good today. In case they aren't good later I have a shoulder strap on the bike to make walking easier.

I followed a route that I didn't know, but already had cue sheets on. This was a single speed century race from a few years ago. It was rough. This is the house where I bailed and called in the sag wagon. Today was a much better day. Also, I had gears this time.

Also, I underbiked some dirt trails around a lake. Half was horrible ripped up by atvs, a short stint on some pretty grass at sunset, and then the second half over postholed horse trails. It was pretty great.

Also, I found a wall.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

mCpwnage posted:

I did some gravel. It was nice gravel, although some of the gravels were very big gravels.

Also, I found out that that Swift bag fits pretty nicely in the smaller Wald basket.

That stuff looks great, love that brand of gravel

[quote="Crumps Brother" post="513758387"]
More gravel this weekend! I needed some cue card practice and a fully loaded shakedown ride for my upcoming race. Didn't take too many pictures, but I got a couple.

As always, we look at the B roads.

Less my favorite brand of gravel

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Has anyone ridden the Allegheny National Forest roads? I’m trying to figure out how much tire I need but there isn’t a ton of info.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I got some new bike bags made by Tunitas Carryall. It's a WoC owned and operated business out of SF. If you live in the city, she will ride her bike to your address and do a porch drop/curbside drop off :3:

quote:

When Jessica was laid off from her designing job, she decided to start her own bike bag company, Tunitas Carryall. Her favorite bag she’s made is the Bar Keeper because she dedicated an enormous amount of energy into making the handlebar bag different in design. Interested in making your own bags? Jessica has only one piece of advice: do it.

“The cycling world is so heavily dominated by the same rhetoric of ideas from the same type of people, that anything outside of that should be welcomed and celebrated,” she says. “While it might seem like the boutique cycling bag market is heavily saturated, I think there’s always room for new ideas from a different perspective and narrative. All other women bag makers I know of really have a unique approach to the way they make bags and it makes them stand out.”

Bar Keeper. Carrying capacity: 2 jars LGM and 1 can maple syrup

Stowaway. Carrying capacity: 1 water bottle or 1 regular boba or 6 hockey pucks

emf
Aug 1, 2002

:drat: those are sharp!

Biggus Duckus
Feb 13, 2012

That two-tone!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Huge comparo and visual shopping for half frame bag options:
https://bikepacking.com/index/half-frame-bags-and-wedges/

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I have been riding a Giant Revolt 0 for the past year and it is great. But like any gravel bike it does run up against the its limits, especially on somewhat technical downhills and logs, cobble, etc.

So I rode my wife's 250 watt power assist bike to the dentist yesterday, and I the way back I decided to do a dirt detour on a route that I normally use to finish my rides. Her bike is built for light trail use, weighs about 45 pounds and has 700x50 Maxxis Ramblers on it, a wider version of the exact tire I have on the propel. It is about 3 miles of offroad consisting of a steep opening climb, a high speed sweeping descent, some gradual downhill to the trailhead, and a quad log barrier exit.

I was wearing jeans and leather boots using flat pedals. The climb was super easy with the power assist as expected. What I did not expect was how much better it handled on the sweeping downhill loose over hard. There is a sharp turn at the bottom and the tires just bit into the terrain and held. The entry level RockShox fork let me rip the gradual downhill, and the log barriers at the end that I normal walk over, her bike took them easily.

So goodbye Revolt, it has been nice knowing you. I'm dumping you for an XC rig.

Fake edit: I'm not. Gravel bikes kick rear end in the conditions they were designed for. There is nothing like the feeling of mowing down a pack of bros riding Enduro bikes on a well groomed DG road at 20mph.

Real edit: Giant Revolt

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I have been riding a Giant Propel 0 for the past year and it is great. But like any gravel bike it does run up against the its limits, especially on somewhat technical downhills and logs, cobble, etc.

So I rode my wife's 250 watt power assist bike to the dentist yesterday, and I the way back I decided to do a dirt detour on a route that I normally use to finish my rides. Her bike is built for light trail use, weighs about 45 pounds and has 700x50 Maxxis Ramblers on it, a wider version of the exact tire I have on the propel. It is about 3 miles of offroad consisting of a steep opening climb, a high speed sweeping descent, some gradual downhill to the trailhead, and a quad log barrier exit.

I was wearing jeans and leather boots using flat pedals. The climb was super easy with the power assist as expected. What I did not expect was how much better it handled on the sweeping downhill loose over hard. There is a sharp turn at the bottom and the tires just bit into the terrain and held. The entry level RockShox fork let me rip the gradual downhill, and the log barriers at the end that I normal walk over, her bike took them easily.

So goodbye Propel, it has been nice knowing you. I'm dumping you for an XC rig.

Fake edit: I'm not. Gravel bikes kick rear end in the conditions they were designed for. There is nothing like the feeling of mowing down a pack of bros riding Enduro bikes on a well groomed DG road at 20mph.

My non expert opinion is that a Giant Propel is probably a pretty poor choice as a gravel bike, but this gives me hope to use a Shiv as a DH bike