Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I hate gravel routes that are planned in a way that you're just consigned to being on tires that suck for the conditions half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
I never had a sketch feeling on 650x42 resolutes at speed, don't recall doing paved switchbacks though. I'd run those.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

bicievino posted:

I hate gravel routes that are planned in a way that you're just consigned to being on tires that suck for the conditions half the time.

Our most popular bikepacking route needs 2.3+ for the sandy sections and single track, but also has you on asphalt for ~75-90 miles :bravo:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Gravel races seeing racers swap tires will prove the spirit is dead once and for all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How big are the GK SS tires?

sweat poteto posted:

I never had a sketch feeling on 650x42 resolutes at speed, don't recall doing paved switchbacks though. I'd run those.

Got a little sideways taking this somewhere north of 40 mph, which is pretty dumb on those tires. It's a -15% grade.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.548...!7i16384!8i8192

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

kimbo305 posted:

Gravel races seeing racers swap tires will prove the spirit is dead once and for all.

Maybe we can get rider support with an ATV or one of those side by side things to carry a spare bike with different tires

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dog Case posted:

Maybe we can get rider support with an ATV or one of those side by side things to carry a spare bike with different tires

This kind of thing will of course happen if/when it’s a big money sport with TV coverage etc. Unless they outlaw it.

With races as long as they are the changeover time is nothing, well worth it to be on the perfect bike.

Forget just different tyres; think changing from a road TT bike for the asphalt, to an XC mtb for singletrack, then back to an aero gravel bike - all via support staff stationed at the side of the road.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

wooger posted:

This kind of thing will of course happen if/when it’s a big money sport with TV coverage etc. Unless they outlaw it.

With races as long as they are the changeover time is nothing, well worth it to be on the perfect bike.

Forget just different tyres; think changing from a road TT bike for the asphalt, to an XC mtb for singletrack, then back to an aero gravel bike - all via support staff stationed at the side of the road.

Tour de France 2020, stage 20 time trial, the course is a generally flat 30k then 6k of climbing. Pretty much all the riders do it all on their TT bike, Tadej Pogacar rides the flat section on his TT bike then does a bike change to a lighter climbing bike with the follow car, wins the stage and gets the time he needs to leapfrog Primoz Roglic and go from 2nd to 1st place in the Tour. Maybe he still wins without the bike change, but maybe not. So it's a real thing.

There was a recent race a bit to the south of me in Bend, OR, that included several surfaces and had two categories, one for riders who did it all on one bike and one for riders who swapped bikes at aid stations (and another for relay teams). https://www.racethebestofboth.com/ It sounds like it was a cool race.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Tour de France 2020, stage 20 time trial, the course is a generally flat 30k then 6k of climbing. Pretty much all the riders do it all on their TT bike, Tadej Pogacar rides the flat section on his TT bike then does a bike change to a lighter climbing bike with the follow car, wins the stage and gets the time he needs to leapfrog Primoz Roglic and go from 2nd to 1st place in the Tour. Maybe he still wins without the bike change, but maybe not. So it's a real thing.

There was a recent race a bit to the south of me in Bend, OR, that included several surfaces and had two categories, one for riders who did it all on one bike and one for riders who swapped bikes at aid stations (and another for relay teams). https://www.racethebestofboth.com/ It sounds like it was a cool race.

Most riders changed bikes for the final climb including Roglič

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone using a dropper post? I can think of one route that I only do a few times a year where it would be a game changer. But otherwise I get by just fine.

Something with a little cushion would be nice. I'm not sure I want a suspension setup like a Redshift, but even a carbon fiber post I think would help.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I put a dropper on my Salsa Journeyman, and it rules. Just funzie and it only felt like it helped on a few things that were a little more than a gravel route, but it's tied to a left brifter and I drop it like it's hot all the time.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dropper post is on order.

I ended up also picking up a set of Vittoria Terreno Dry. I know the rolling resistance people don't love these, but all of the reviews of real world use seem to be positive.

I was able to install them with no tools. They inflated and set the bead easily with just a regular bicycle pump. The sidewalls are very thin, especially compared to the Gravelking SS+, which are thick and stiff as boards. The Gravelkings also gave me great difficulty getting them on the rim, as well as needing to use my 5 gallon compressor to dump loads of air into them to set the bead. So being able to do these so easily was quite a treat. They went on even easier than the WTB Resolutes.

Inflated to 40 psi, the 38mm Vittoria's actually measure about 42.5mm on my 23mm rims.

On pavement, while there was some minor road noise, they felt smooth and did not feel slow. Getting up to speed was no problem, and I did not have any issues with grip while turning. Everything felt confident and normal.

Off-road, grip was incredible. There were no issues with traction even with poor weight distribution on steep climbs. They practically floated over sand. I felt confident taking corners coming down the switchbacks. These tires have the greatest braking performance on dirt of any that I have used. I would say it was very close to braking on pavement. They did not lock up or skid at all without considerable effort.

Some say these are not great in the mud, but there isn't really any mud here for me to test. Also the name of the tires is "dry."

I'm very happy with these tires so far.

I also tried out some Muc Off dry lube. It smells nice. It lubes well. It does attract dirt and dust to the outside of the chain, but the rollers are clean and quiet. I'll keep using it, even though my cheapo Dupont Chain Saver wax lube keeps the chain looking new through several rides, and may handle water better, but does get noisy after a while.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I like the terreno dry quite a bit. only thing that I don't enjoy with them is cornering on pavement, where the transition to the knobs is kinda abrupt.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I made a grabble

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 24, 2022

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

:can:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any advice for crossing streams with large loose river rocks on the bottom? I tried going balls out and I just sank and lost all momentum. Filling my shoes with cold water was a nice break from the heat though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

Any advice for crossing streams with large loose river rocks on the bottom? I tried going balls out and I just sank and lost all momentum. Filling my shoes with cold water was a nice break from the heat though.

How high is the water? If you’re not racing I’d just take off my shoes/socks and do a CX shoulder carry. Always seemed dodgy to try and send it unless I can see the bottom and it’s solid.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

How high is the water? If you’re not racing I’d just take off my shoes/socks and do a CX shoulder carry. Always seemed dodgy to try and send it unless I can see the bottom and it’s solid.

6" at most, water is clear, only about 10' across. The mountain bikers just cruise on through. The rocks are just so loose and slick, I've been sinking in. I probably just need to practice.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Wider tires and suspension are probably helping on the MTBers. Carry momentum too if you can.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I did a short ride on a decommissioned logging road that's just a few miles from my house today

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Didn't realize there was a gravel riding specific thread, v nice.

Just put together my first gravel bike, Poseidon X.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Rebuilt the 3T with GRX di2. took me almost a year to get everything I neeeded.

Also, after I had finished the build, I found out that shimano sells a battery holder for the steerer. So I'll be rewiring in a few months.

e: shifting is just :kiss:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I call it a pea-gravel bike

Oops, tire clearance on the rear might be a bit tight

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 13, 2022

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Dog Case posted:

I call it a pea-gravel bike

Hot drat

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I am visiting family in Kyrgystan for a month and I took my bike with me

This is as far as I got in the Ala Archa valley:

Shame really, just 10km shy of an abandoned soviet mountain base. Really wanted to get up there, but the rest of the way is probably like that :\

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 1, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
He'll yeah

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

The Spirit of Gravel Riding is going to haunt you forever if you don't get to that base!!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

El Laucha posted:

I am visiting family in Kyrgystan for a month and I took my bike with me

This is as far as I got in the Ala Archa valley:

Shame really, just 10km shy of an abandoned soviet mountain base. Really wanted to get up there, but the rest of the way is probably like that :\

I’ve passed through the airport in manas a few times and it looks absolutely beautiful there, always wanted to go explore.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

El Laucha posted:

awesome ride

I'll never get tired of your ride drops. How did you approach navigation and how familiar are you with the area?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

The Spirit of Gravel Riding is going to haunt you forever if you don't get to that base!!

Tempting as it is, I didn't have the right equipment with me (I've gotten lost once in the mountains before, with no clothes, food, water, cell signal, etc). But, next time I return I'll try.

e.pilot posted:

I’ve passed through the airport in manas a few times and it looks absolutely beautiful there, always wanted to go explore.

Its an excellent place to explore, mtb and trekking wise. Its very dry right now because it hasnt rained in over 2 months, but once the rains come its going to be green all around. I brought the gravel bike with me so I could explore a bit of the mountains and because my next stop is 2 months in Spain and I can just change the tires to some 28/32c and have a fast but not quite road bike speeds.

rngd in the womb posted:

I'll never get tired of your ride drops. How did you approach navigation and how familiar are you with the area?

Thanks! Its my main vice, I'm lucky that living in Chile gives me the chance to ride very different terrains/places without having to spend much on travel. As for navigation, I have an edge 530 and just started to learn how to use routes/navigation and it works quite well. It works even better around here (takes like 10-15 seconds to get full GPS signal, maybe its the glonass connection, in Chile it takes around 1 minute or more). I make the routes with Strava after checking around on Google, and I also used Yandex (it has more detailed roads in former soviet countries). So far I find that it works fine. I just send the route to the 530 and hope for the best.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Rare dry January day made for nice gravelly times.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Up near Snoqualmie? Looks great

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

You can almost see the spirit

Excited for my ride this weekend, looks like the weather's gonna be good.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I also did gravel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Seashells = gravel?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

Up near Snoqualmie? Looks great

Yeah, fair sized loop through both Marckworth and the Campbell Global stuff.

Edit: dang, Slavvy you're putting that pretty new bike to great use.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Riding somewhere far away by road then being able to explore even single track stuff fucken rules :sun: gravel is my favorite kind of riding I've decided

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Slavvy posted:

Riding somewhere far away by road then being able to explore even single track stuff fucken rules :sun: gravel is my favorite kind of riding I've decided

Depending on where you go, it can be an extra level of enjoyment when you can actually relax that you aren't going to get run over by some tiny-dicked rear end in a top hat in a ford ranger. I wish we had more stuff around here, mostly the gravel roads I can ride are shared either by logging trucks or fuckwits going too fast.

E: got any close pics of the bike? You said it was a surly of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I have ridden my motorcycle maybe twice this year for this reason