Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I just found this thread and I like it. Please enjoy photos I've smeared all over random parts of the forum

G is for ridinG on gravel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Levitate posted:

Thought I'd give the grav thread a little love

:stwoon:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Strava should ensure that are nations best have enough personal responsibility and self awareness to not upload secret poo poo to social media. duh.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Why are e-bikes not allowed in places me-bikes are, anyway? Is it the weight, assumed lack of rider experience, or a fire hazard?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My first proper bike was a Kona Jake and I miss it so I support your n+1

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is upsetting because i am not riding it

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

I've ridden on both the east and west sides of the pass on the Iron Horse trail, but I want to do the full century ride from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back soon. I've never ridden a gravel century before and I think it'd be a pretty good one to start with.

I'd be down to join if you want.

Is the PtC/Iron Horse the most popular goontrail?

:allears:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Swapped the 165mm 105 crank and PM from the TT bike onto the cross bike and mounted up some chonker 38 shikoros yesterday and rode a bunch of new grav. Falling in love with the shikoro all over again, I always forget how nice that tire rides.

i am going to buy this bicycle when you're done with it. it's my favorite

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hell yeah work sucks

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Biggus Duckus posted:

Got to ride with the Swift Industries crew through Forest Park, since they are in town for a couple weeks. You could definitely tell by the end who had fenders and who did not.

uh thanks for the invite :argh:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Biggus Duckus posted:

There's one spot left for the overnighter this weekend: https://swiftadventure.co/product-category/swiftatsnowpeak/

Or you can do your own route and meet up at the camp spot.

!! Wish I had known about this earlier

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I rolled through the tunnel last week and it seems they did quite a bit of work on it. Floor was much smoother than in prior years

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's very right

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

good gravel itt

i finally found some too

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 12, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Nice, I have never ridden a gravel century and I am considering going from Rattlesnake Lake to Cle Elum and back on the Iron Horse but I don't know if my butt is up for it.

Awesome pics!

Do it. Bring a water filter for the little stream that follows most of it

e: more

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 12, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: all of that looks incredible

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I still can't walk properly but that's already happening :negative:

:shittydog:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

very good :stwoon:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Slavvy posted:

I will travel far and wide to taste that sweet sweet spirit
yes please

I skipped work and did a silly gravel ride that turned into bike skiing. Involved a couple hours of hiking through snow because there was more up to see

There's gravel under there, I'm told

34 mi / 5,300 ft

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Lookout mountain in Bellingham, WA

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

gravel* so good

i need a smaller chainring and bigger tires

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 3, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

You can prevent it by removing fenders, using shorter cranks, smaller wheels, smaller tires, smaller feet, and with pedal placement and timing,

On my Kona Rove it can be an issue with slow tight turns if’s wearing fenders. I think gravel bikes tend to have issues with it because they’re essentially road frames with big tires and often ridden at slow speed with tight maneuvering

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mountain bike trails are gravel
bit of road too
and leaf covered streams, of course

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yeah PNW, north of Seattle. I’m considering doing the loop again this weekend but don’t know if a solo ride in such cold temps is a good idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

looks awesome