Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Hello Grabbel Thread!

How do you/what do you use to plan out gravel rides?

I'm used to road nonsense with google maps + strava.

Is there some way to find gravel roads as an internet service? Would love to plot out a nice 50 mile'r as the weather turns warm.

If this has already been discussed, can you point me toward it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Cool. A good start! Thanks

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
gravel hills on my 28c slicks (a navigational mishap) were loving miserable a few years ago.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Partial Octopus posted:

Can anyone recommend me a decent entry to mid-level women's gravel bike? Budget is around $1500.

Do you bike now? What kind do you have and what do you enjoy? Are you looking for a specific frame material? Are you looking to tour, go fast, camp, or cruise down the gravel road for a leisurely spin?

Are you looking for something modern?

You can find fun stuff listed second hand that can check the right boxes and leave your budget some funds for other stuff (lights, storage, helmet, etc).

There's a few of us on here that spend too much time on craigslist looking at bikes. I'm sure you can recruit some goons to look around your state for a gem.

Warning: covid reminded people outdoors exists so stores are loving empty and things are harder to find but not impossible.

Oh! And what's your size frame or height of you're not sure?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
My Poseidon redwood hits those marks. It's direct to consumer. Size small might be perfect.

That's the only new bike I can think of that was immediately available. It has its quirks but I'm really enjoying it.

There's some neat jamis bikes out there too.

https://bikerumor.com/2015/01/13/review-jamis-renegade-adventure-gravel-bike-lets-you-go-rogue-from-the-roads/

Nicer than the Redwood. Better components, not sure about availability. Also has a 2x drivetrain if that's a deal breaker.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Partial Octopus posted:

How's the groupset on the poseidon? I'm not familiar with that brand.

Different from the shimano and sram components I've used in the past. Has very positive feedback on shifting, the brifters are comfortable.

I haven't had it long enough to say it's durable but I've been putting it through hell and it's not really done anything odd yet.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

ElMaligno posted:

I test road a Jamis Renegade S3 and Jesus loving christ on a cracker what a loving difference from my bargain bin hybrid and hands-me down road bike. Its a drop bike, but It seems that the ergonomics of that bike agree with me more.

I sadly didnt buy it.

Yet.

:henget:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Cross-posting from the Bike Touring thread since it's pretty silent.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Attempted to 2-day the 100 mile Coast to Coast Gravel Grinder.

Here's the route: https://www.strava.com/routes/22770635

We were going to start from the opposite side and cut out the beginning and end 7 miles.

It was so loving cold the second day that we edited out quite a bit of it.

Anyway, here's the ride. We had a ton of fun and the route kicked our rear end really badly on the first day.
https://www.strava.com/activities/5196371527

I'm in love. Touring rules. Bikepacking rules. Climbing sand/gravel hills rules*.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Anyone got experience doing drop bars on a karate monkey?

I'm trying to figure out how I want to set up the cockpit on mine when the drat things go back to being available 5/19ish.

It's either that or some alt bars. Probably a decent amount of flare but more upright.

Any personal stories of bars you hated or ended up throwing out?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dreadite posted:

I went to some swept salsa bars on my xc hardtail, then realized I tend to get into more aggressive situations on my xc hardtail than swept bars comfortably allow for, and any situation where more comfy bars would be really warranted I should just ride my drop bar bike

now im back to running wide enduro risers fwiw

solution is n+1

Doesn't matter, the build has been delayed through Aug. My event will be in late June. :argh:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
9 hours, 100 miles. I finished my first race.

I am so sore. I'll probably swear off gravel for a bit. God help me if I've caught the racing itch, I did real poorly, but I finished.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Steve French posted:

I rode my bike past a two story bathroom today

:eyepop:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Dreadite posted:

some new kit

Is it wrong to mostly ride this thing like a mountain bike? I'm an idiot

Nope. I put 400-500 miles on my Poseidon and most of it was on mtb trails.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

xdice posted:

Which Poseidon model do you have, and how do you like it? I've been contemplating picking one up.

I have a Redwood (size small). The sizing is a bit goofy on em,usually I'm a medium.

The bike has stood up to my abuse. The welds are ugly, the handling is pretty decent, and the stock components are meh. I upgraded my tires to some tubeless maxxis minions. Despite the tires being on the heavier side, they really improved the feel. Stock kendas feel sluggish.

I had some issues with the hanger bending and some skipping on the cassette. Finding a replacement hanger or any other of the oddball parts, can be a pain. The customer service at Poseidon is a black hole for weeks, then they take care of ya.

I put this bike through some questionable poo poo,including a 100 mile gravel race nightmare, loaded it up with 50lbs of bikepacking gear,and throwing it down single track that made my teeth rattle (some at the same time).

It was overall a good experience, but it will never be a forever bike.

Oh, it climbs like a goat. Great gearing for bikepacking and nasty hills. The top gear is ok. Drivetrain is 1x10 microshift. There's odd gaps in the cassette that will, on multiple occasions a ride, have you off your cadence slightly and put you between sweet spots.

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 12, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Blackhawk posted:

Hey not sure if shilling is ok, if not let me know, but my partner has a side-business making bicycle bags, mostly for bikepacking but also things like cycling-specific hip packs and even a giant bag for a cargo bike. Thought it would be appropriate to share in this thread given that gravel bikes often pair well with some bags for overnight trips.

We live in New Zealand but she has shipped stuff overseas (shipping can be kinda expensive these days though). On the positive side the NZ dollar is weak as hell right now so if you're overseas the prices are probably relatively cheaper.

She sells via her instagram, which also has a lot of examples of her work: https://www.instagram.com/paperroadsaotearoa

Here are some pics for attention.

Shill this errday. I want one!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Those are rad. Did I see them on the Radavist recently? Nope, some other company.

I've been thinking about making a couple simple bags for my bike. The tiny saddle pack for repairs just doesn't fit a couple other emergency things I'd like to have, like a first aid kit.

I like picking up used bikes over new ones, so reasonable custom frame bags are always welcome.

I'm still shopping for a good Salsa El Mariachi 3 from 2014 frame bag, everything seems JUST too large for my size medium :(

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Jonny Quest posted:

As someone looking at an El Mariachi did they reinforce the chain stays at all in the later years? I worry about snagging one and then freaking out about having to buy a 110v welder and adding another hobby to my bucket.

I had no idea they had an issue. Mine has been pretty excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm two days out of delivery for a lovely new bike that can take 45mm 700c and 47mm 650b.

Snow and rain need to gently caress off, I've got riding to do, drat it

EDIT:
FedEx smashed my seatstay. No bike for me until the replacement ships :wellpiss:

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 25, 2023