Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Tell me how to gravel bike!

I'd like to spend this fall on the gravel roads around here. I'm on a pretty tight budget and no room for more bikes anyway so I've got to make one of these bikes work.

First is a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 with 25mm slicks on it. I think I could squeeze 28's on there but I'm not sure it's worth the swap. I've hit the gravel a few times on it as is. It's really not all that bad, but I get some hand discomfort after a few miles.

The other is a 1992 Cannondale T600, also with 25's on it. I THINK it has 17mm rims, I could probably run 35's.

Or I could convince myself this is worth it -

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2594552400756651/

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the input! I'm betting most of the regulars here ride more in a year than I have lifetime, I really don't know what I'm doing. At this point I'm just focused on hitting gravel roads, not the fun stupid stuff.

I'm definitely not interested in throwing much money at all at the Cannondale, I think I got it for $120 six or seven years ago so just changing tire size is going to cost about as much as the bike. Also it sits outside in an area that sees a decent amount of bike theft. I know the stem is poo poo but I've been too cheap to even swap that. Also I think the pedals have fused to the cranks so I'm stuck with those flats.

I just swapped the front on the Bianchi with my wife's with a 28 and it fit much easier than I expected. If I could squeeze 32's on would it be better than the Cannondale with 35's?

The Masi is a bit of a stretch right now as much as I think I'd like it, I would only do that if my budget alternatives are terrible.

Edit: I'm in Ann Arbor, MI right now, I'm not sure if any major touring routes are near here.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Well the Cannondale got stolen last night so I'm back to forcing the Bianchi into gravel duty or buying a second bike.

I will never keep a bike outside again.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I assume it's because no regulating body has decided where to draw a line between an e-bike and this,

https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/model/zero-fx

and how that relates to trail damage and pedestrian safety. I mean, no sane person would go for hikes on ORV trails.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
I wanted to give gravel riding a go last year, but my old hard-tail and touring bike were stolen. If I'm willing to go with flat bars, should I just grab a 90's steel rigid mountain bike for less than $100, vs trying to squeeze 32mm tires on my road bike? For example, this is on craigslist for $75

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Hey Denver goons, I rode the Waterton Canyon Trail this afternoon and I think I need more of this in my life.