Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

vikingstrike posted:

Everyone should have to experience sketchy gravel on rim braked road bikes with 25mm tires to properly appreciate modern gravel bikes. Off road road biking is/was really fun but it you're always on the edge of something going really wrong. I don't miss the flats though. One of my last gravel rides in Georgia, I remember we ended up on a gravel road with some chunky stuff and the guy I was riding with had 3 flats in the span of 5 miles, all from pinch flats.

Dang it. I came to this thread to see what tyres people were using in the pictures and to find out if I could shoehorn any of them on my steel and carbon touring bike (currently running 25mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus) because I’ve got to ride it 12 miles on gravel next week, the answer is no, and oh my poor back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
On the plus side I am on gravel on this bike because it’s a massive shortcut to the LBS which will be overhauling it.

I live on the chesterfield - rother valley trail and Clowne greenway (deliberately moved here for it). There was a huge station hub which was shut down in the late 1960s in Staveley but the railway network, which goes on for miles and miles in several directions remains, what hasn’t been converted into rideable gravel trail and maintained by the council is owned by British Rail and abandoned without any fencing so you can ride on it anyway.

The bikes you see are just this awesome range of cheapest mountain bikes, to most expensive mountain e-bikes. They are ridden by families, your usual fit young men in Lycra, people in work gear, old men on top of the range ebikes, but the absolute kings are the old men on steel road bikes who all know each other and go touring round France each year.

It’s not long enough for anyone to come here for a cycling holiday but it is freaking awesome to live here and be able to ride anywhere you want to go without going on a road.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Levitate posted:

depends on what kind of gravel/dirt roads we're talking
even on 25's it's not bad if it's not super chunky, loose and rocky

Ooh good save - the canal trust idiots trashed the downhill from crossroads to the hub by taking heavy machinery where they were told not to go, and it’s fairly aghhhh on 38s because of the grooves and chunks, but I can avoid that part on road.

Edit: thanks to charliebravo77 as well, if the consensus is that the tyres will be fine then I’m going to stop worrying about the bike and start wondering what the weather will do this week instead

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 14, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Content:

Abandoned station being reclaimed by the land on the non-maintained part of the track vs the maintained part up at Arkwright town, there used to be a mine at the end of where it forks and they would bring the coal up on a single track and load the wagons there.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The question someone cleverer than me will ask is exactly what kind of gears and brakes do you have? Cantilever limits your options a bit but it’s all still easily doable.