Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

It's also winter in Tahoe, but you wouldn't know it

https://strava.app.link/tATDciM1q4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't know how many total miles of forest road there are near my house, but I know for sure that it's way more than I deserve.

This sign was not joking.

https://strava.app.link/3h3oBjrQL5

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Honestly I don't really know. I'm not that attuned to that sort of thing, and the previous wheels on the bike were the stock 700c Stan's Grail (the Crests on the bike are 650b)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

moar

really this ride was more single track than gravel, but it was on a gravel bike so I'll count it

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Levitate posted:

Ugh tell me why I shouldn’t move to Missoula

Why go so far?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I attempted a loop today that I'd been meaning to try for a while. The middle section was a big unknown: I didn't know if it was paved, unpaved, even passable. The rest of the route was all paved though so I took out my old cross bike with slick tires.

After the end of the pavement:

Then the road started to disappear:

I pushed through to the other side:

I don't think I'll do it again for various reasons, but a good adventure

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Pesky bodies of water

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Most of that water has land in the same square, though!

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I don't know what a six is unless it's a quantity of beer cans.

Here's a few photos of the right g word

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

If you have a privacy zone, the start and end of activities within that zone will not show up on the heatmap. It's true that if you add one, those changes won't be reflected until the heatmap is regenerated (monthly).

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I'm not familiar with how the fencing setup works --
if I move from Home A to Home B, will all activities uploaded when Home A's zone respect that zone forever (and I guess the new B zone as well)? Do you get multiple zones to manage?

They apply to all activities ever; if you add or delete one, it updates activities retroactively. You can have multiple.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Cyclists are really bad at riding through mud on trails IME.

this is a fact

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'm with Levitate on this one; those are awesome photos, it looks like an awesome trip, and I'm extremely envious. However, while my intent here isn't to poo poo on you or discourage stoke sharing, I think there are plenty of us on this here forum who have been making a lot of personal sacrifices over the last 9+ months, including but not limiting to sitting out any/all group rides, and it would be broadly appreciated if there were some sensitivity to that and some thoughtfulness when sharing photos of your experience.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Gravel season is emerging in the Sierras

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I just wanted to say that today I am highly appreciative of forest road maintenance.

Today we went for a fairly standard gravel lunch loop, and got some fresh water laid down for us, after we had to step off the road a bit to let the truck by

and then discovered that the lovely part of the ride with consistent horrible washboarding has been freshly graded and is now absolutely glorious

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I rode my bike past a two story bathroom today

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I did a gravel race in a pretty nice looking place. I wasn’t fast.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

ilkhan posted:

Telluride is gorgeous. That race/event is on my list for 2024 or 2025, just to have an excuse to spend the weekend there again. You do the full course or the short one? Short one is crazy enough.

I did the full course. It wasn't quite as much climbing as was billed, (I recorded ~9.5k rather than ~10.5k), but it was pretty long and tough. Very smooth, though, not one of those courses where you feel like you're underbiked. Gravel bike was definitely fine on all of it. I'd recommend it for sure, with the caveat that one bummer of it was that the route provided didn't actually fully match the course, it had some sections on the road when the actual course that wasn't that clearly marked took some single track near the road, and as a result some top finishers were disqualified.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9241721393

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I rode a new gravel bicycle today. Hooray! Quick shakeout ride this morning, earlier than I usually get out (it's cold here in the mornings) and got some ground fog after thunderstorms yesterday afternoon. Dirt was fantastic.