Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
excuse me I ride grabble and my calves bulge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

As for wildlife I hear a bunch of coyotes yipping a few weeks ago when I went on a night ride it was cool

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

It also sometimes gets in you when you crash and have to pick bits of gravel out of your skin

e: ^^^ Liquid gravel

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

graveled up this in the morning

one of the smoother spots though that trail/road is pretty rocky

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

but how slack is the head tube

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

if I could post video I'd post the coyotes howling that I recorded the other day but here's some mild wildlife anyways

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Did what we call a "mixed terrain" ride today.

Fire road, trail, single track broken pavement, with some road connecting it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've been graveling but not many pictures lately!

Here's a pretty typical pic

Hoping it will eventually rain here at some point

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

the problem with gravel riding sometimes is that I don't want to stop and take pictures

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I've propped up a phone and set a timer to take a photo of myself before though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e.pilot posted:

The grav gods were good today.

word

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Today: much wetter than yesterday.

Also wasn't a strict gravel ride but I rode plenty of gravel to get there and did some road on the way back cuz sometimes you gotta get home

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

The spirit of gravel spoke to me today

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

oh there was plenty of mud too

my dream "gravel" around here is a good soaking day or two of rain and then a good day or two of sun to dry things out a tad, but really it just ends up being kind of a mess

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Huh is that 650b being problematic because it’s not lining up the wide part of the tire with the chainstay indent?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Merry Christmas of gravel :toot:

Got in a little ride after setting up my brother in law on my old bike. Up the mountain a bit, down the mountain a bit

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

wicked lean you got going there

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

ride on dudes and ladies

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

been doing more single track and road but got some decent gravel in last weekend

Didn't have enough time but seems like a pretty big gravel loop could be put together...but instead I had to descend down on the shoulder of a 60mph road (was fine really, shoulder was huge, wasn't much traffic)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Not exactly gravel but it involves a gravel bike

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Those giant rock “gravel” bits feel so sketchy at speed

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ugh tell me why I shouldn’t move to Missoula

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Washed my bike the other day and then woke up to the ground wet this morning from foggy drizzle which was great for the grabble but not so for the clean bike

Drive train sounded terrible so I had to rinse the whole thing all over again

and saw this guy on a grabble ride a couple of weeks ago

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I gravel'd up a mountain today (it's a small mountain, this is a normal thing. Also, not quite to the top of the mountain)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

just to try to head things off, this is the spirit of gravel thread not the gun chat thread. please keep it that way

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gonna start handing out sixes for more gun chat

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

We can make it thread rules if need be. This is the problem with gun chat though. I know several people posting here don’t want it, I don’t want it, everywhere it happens it turns out poorly, so let’s just not do it one way or the other. The thread doesn’t need it and if you (anyone) really want to do it go make a thread for it.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looks like wet fine gravel to me

Also saw goats, turkeys, woodpeckers, and deer this morning on my ride! Will post pics later

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

brush clearing goat herd!

a bit o' gravel!

Turkeys!

A bunch of 'peckers hanging out and banging!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Thought I'd give the grav thread a little love

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

What is strava to do, get top level clearance with all of the worlds militaries so they can make sure
To black out any secret bases from their heat map?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

This is loving violence.

Tigren posted:

Mountain bikes and bikers seem to totally trash trails. I say keep them to specifically designed MTB trails and no where else.

Sane places do something like work with local MTB groups to do trail maintenance and fix damage to trails, improve them, make them safer for multi use, etc.

MTBs can certainly put a lot of wear on trails but I think most mountain bikers would be happy to help maintain the trails for everyone (whether through manual labor or financially supporting groups that do the work) if it keeps access open for them as well.

I'm kinda ambivalent on e-mountain bikes in places other than two things...for one, it sometimes gives access to people who have no business riding those kind of trails/fire roads/etc...like they don't have the bike handling skills, the awareness of how to ride around others safely, etc. Seeing someone shooting up the fire road at you at 20mph while wobbling all over the place is slightly terrifying.
And that's kind of my other issue...people who use them to just gun it uphill, which I feel gets kinda dangerous because it's out of the normal boundaries of what people are expecting. It's a real wtf moment when you're coming down something and someone is flying uphill at you at about the same speed as you. Less time to react and figure out how to manage the situation safely.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Hikers and horses trash trails harder than a MTB or gravel bike ever could lol.

Eh, horses yes, hikers less than MTBs I think, judging from the trails around me. You can really see the ruts, braking bumps, and other various holes in the trail develop from the mountain bikes.
That said the solution is just to work with them to do trail maintenance.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I ran my old gravel bike without a clutch and just wrapped an old tube as chainstay protector. Had a few drops but nothing big

New bike has clutch and I like it.

Either way works (this is 2x) on both

I notice if I forget and leave the clutch off, a lot more rattling and slapping

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Group ride and hanging out after in a pandemic giving me anxiety

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm not gonna be as polite as Bud. With that said.

Are you seriously using your mod status to admonish us for a very gentle response to someone posting destination travel group ride pics during a pandemic (not to mention already planning another trip during the pandemic...no, it's not going to be over by March)?

Look, a lot of us had plans like that kind of trip that we canceled because of the pandemic. A lot of us have family we have not seen and will not see because of the pandemic. For all I know we have people in here who have friends and family who have died because of this pandemic. 360 THOUSAND people have died in the US from this. Many of us are trying to do our part to keep ourselves and others safe even though it means scaling back or canceling things that are important or exciting to us or big plans we were looking forward to. We're not making travel plans to someplace with zero ICU capacity and massive problems controlling the pandemic.

I was not going to make a big post about this but again if I'm going to get admonished by a mod from a completely reasonable response then gently caress it I'm gonna get my word in. Everyone's got their excuses as to why they are the ones that are different and the rules shouldn't apply to them and no really it's fine because you see they're more careful than everyone else and every excuse is garbage as the rest of them.

Shame on you for that bullshit response, Safety Dance

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

and gently caress it here's some pics from the last two days of gravel riding (gotta get up early to get miles in)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Safety Dance posted:

I'm sorry for my bad take. I quite literally haven't left my apartment in almost a month. In my mind, there's no amount of scolding that's going to change somebody's mind at this point so we might as well just look at the pictures, but your reactions are equally valid.

Hah! What am I going to do, threaten somebody with a sixer?

I appreciate the response. I feel like when someone with a star next to their name, even if they're an IK, posts "guidelines" in a thread or tells people to post a certain way, there is an implied threat behind that as well that includes escalation beyond 6 hour probes, which is why I reacted the way I did.

El Laucha's trip looks real cool, it just also makes me uncomfortable and frustrated to see large group rides and such.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e: you know, I've said my part

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Gonna try to do a big gravel ride tomorrow and ride down Repack Road, the "birthplace of mountain biking"'s first downhill race course.