Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
silicon valley has liberated the wizards' magic from their castle on the moon and given it freely to we the people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Let's crash the economy so hard it makes communism palatable to the ignorant masses.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Automation is cool

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

high finance bad? woah

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Weaponized Autism posted:

Psychopathy? In finance??

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
No one is going to jail over a bug.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Lambert posted:

No one is going to jail over a bug.

https://www.newsweek.com/atm-glithch-16m-dan-saunders-atm-loophole-national-bank-australia-australian-1255101?amp=1

Big Dick Cheney fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 7, 2019

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The users might

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What is realistically gonna happen here

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I hope someone goes to jail for a very long time. I've invested a lot of money in the prison-industrial complex.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Mooey Cow posted:

I hope someone goes to jail for a very long time. I've invested a lot of money in the prison-industrial complex.

Via the app?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dang, for a minute I thought the legendary heroic outlaw of English folklore had returned to destroy the capitalist system and free the people from its tyranny.

Figures it's just some stupid app bullshit. We never get anything cool anymore.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Makes you think, if you buy a ton of private prison stocks and go to prison, you are self employed!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

Dang, for a minute I thought the legendary heroic outlaw of English folklore had returned to destroy the capitalist system and free the people from its tyranny.

Figures it's just some stupid app bullshit. We never get anything cool anymore.

Ah yes a filthy monarchist will definitely free people from tyranny

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Colonel Cancer posted:

Makes you think, if you buy a ton of private prison stocks and go to prison, you are self employed!

what if you buy enough stock to own the prison company and give yourself a ton of perks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Skeleton King posted:

Let's crash the economy so hard it makes communism palatable to the ignorant masses.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Disaster communism

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

finally some real equality. destroying the economy isn't just for wall street anymore

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjINuMEuSKA

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Oh no the World Economy, oh no, please God, no!!!!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Update: Robinhood patched the glitch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Call Your Grandma posted:

This needs to be in the OP:

Someones who is good at a economy, what happened exactly? and is he on the hook for 50k?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
*Sheriff of Nottingham is shaking an advisor from his frilly collar, enraged*

What do you mean the peasants have been paying their taxes with loan money!? Who on earth would loan money to a pea--

*The shaking abruptly stops and the sheriff looks directly at the camera*

ROBIN HOOOOOOD!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StoryTime posted:

*Sheriff of Nottingham is shaking an advisor from his frilly collar, enraged*

What do you mean the peasants have been paying their taxes with loan money!? Who on earth would loan money to a pea--

*The shaking abruptly stops and the sheriff looks directly at the camera*

ROBIN HOOOOOOD!!!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I'm dumb someone please explain what's actually happening without hyperbole. So they've got $5k legitimate money, for example, and they're "borrowing" 5k from Robinhood. Then they repeat the process to borrow a huge amount. But if it's borrowing, then aren't they still on the hook to pay that money back to Robinhood?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

I'm dumb someone please explain what's actually happening without hyperbole. So they've got $5k legitimate money, for example, and they're "borrowing" 5k from Robinhood. Then they repeat the process to borrow a huge amount. But if it's borrowing, then aren't they still on the hook to pay that money back to Robinhood?

Yes. What makes this "psychopatic", is that it circumvents the checks and balances in the way of poor people getting access to significant amounts of money. As they say, if you owe $10K to a bank, that's your problem. If you owe $10M to a bank, that's the bank's problem.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Yes. However without the glitch and automated system being abused, Robinhood would not loan millions on 5,000 dollars of collateral. It becomes more of RH's problem if a 20 something loses a million on the platform doing this. No way for RH to get that back.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Goodpancakes posted:

Yes. However without the glitch and automated system being abused, Robinhood would not loan millions on 5,000 dollars of collateral. It becomes more of RH's problem if a 20 something loses a million on the platform doing this. No way for RH to get that back.

I mean yeah, but borrowing on false pretenses is pretty serious fraud right? Like people are reporting this as though the guys doing it are geniuses but they're all probably getting hosed for this.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I mean yeah, but borrowing on false pretenses is pretty serious fraud right? Like people are reporting this as though the guys doing it are geniuses but they're all probably getting hosed for this.

Do people even understand the concept anymore? Bitcoin's a thing after all. There was also that thing a few years ago where kids were doing pyramid schemes like it was some kind of game.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

This is so hosed up and awesome I can hardly believe it's real. This is like an exploit you'd find in a third rate MMORPG, not something you'd expect to see in the real economy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

This is so hosed up and awesome I can hardly believe it's real. This is like an exploit you'd find in a third rate MMORPG, not something you'd expect to see in the real economy.

Guess that dude isn't getting his epic mount anytime soon.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

They actually found one simple trick to get a loan of millions approved, and the financial sector hates it. I'd say that's genius. I think you're presenting a false dichotomy here, being a genius has never stopped the establishment from loving you sideways.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

debt that will never be repaid is a big thing in economics, it just becomes fraud when the Poor's do it.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Loooool I do CUMMunism crash into this rear end bitch... economically!!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So what happens to the money borrowed, and the investments made afterwards? Does that guy owe 50k? And the others who got out ahead, do they keep “their” cash?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
When the rich do this kinda stuff they get billions in gov't bailouts but since it seems like it's poor young nerds in this case they'll probably get a life sentence to some CIA blacksite.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

StoryTime posted:

They actually found one simple trick to get a loan of millions approved, and the financial sector hates it. I'd say that's genius. I think you're presenting a false dichotomy here, being a genius has never stopped the establishment from loving you sideways.

No, the idea of defrauding a lender to get a larger loan than you can repay has existed since loans existed. It's not genius it's idiotic because they'll be the ones completely hosed by it while the lender just gets it paid out by insurance or some other dumb corporate protection BS.

It's not genius, it's monumentally stupid. They've completely hosed themselves for no return.

Gobblecoque posted:

When the rich do this kinda stuff they get billions in gov't bailouts but since it seems like it's poor young nerds in this case they'll probably get a life sentence to some CIA blacksite.

This guy gets it.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

OMFG FURRY posted:

debt that will never be repaid is a big thing in economics, it just becomes fraud when the Poor's do it.

Yeah and that's the problem. Fraud should be treated the same regardless. The problem isn't that the poor are being punished for criminal activity, the problem is that the rich AREN'T.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!
So is this gonna have any repercussions on the normies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

font color sea posted:

So is this gonna have any repercussions on the normies?

No