Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Harry Turtledove himself said the following about his work:

History Roundtable 16.3.259, GEnie network, Mon Apr 18, 1994
H.TURTLEDOVE [Harry]

I may have been trained as a historian, but (what I tell you three times is
true) I AM A FICTION WRITER!
I AM A FICTION WRITER!
I AM A FICTION WRITER!
Stories are for entertainment first, or they fail. I have no obligation,
and no intention, of being consistent in historical viewpoint from one
story or set of stories to the next, especially if looking at things is
style B rather than style A lets me do something new and I hope more
interesting.

In that light, Turtledove writing in a Confederate Hitler and lizardpeople from other worlds getting wrecked by mustard gas are just part and parcel of what Turtledove did to jazz up his more contrived/boring what-if? mil-fiction scenarios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Gnoman posted:

Guns of the South
Chapter 2: Nate Caudell

The standard bullet fired by an AK is a 7.62mm (.30") jacketed 7.9 gram (123 grains) bullet propelled by 1.6 grams of smokeless powder. This gives a muzzle velocity of around 730 meters/second (2400 feet per second) and a muzzle energy of ~2000 joules (~1500 foot pounds). This is provided in a ready-to-use paper cartridge that contains a primer at the rear. All that is needed to fire is placing it in the gun. In addition to being easier to load, the slimmer bullet loses less energy to air resistance (meaning it retains velocity longer), and the much higher velocity results in far less bullet drop. At any relevant range, the bullet might as well be going straight, while a Minié ball is performing a parabolic arc due to the need to significantly elevate the muzzle. This ammunition does, in fact "beat Minié balls all hollow.”

I think you meant to write metallic cartridge instead of "paper cartridge" when describing AK ammunition.
Otherwise pretty good and accurate.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

so is this thread and the Honorverse readthrough thread both dead?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Good luck on both your projects.
Doing the SF-LOVERS readthrough I burned through about 25 million words read, Turtledove and Weber can't defeat you two.