Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ooh, kinda forgot this was in the pipeline. Time to see if the game we got first was the improved version, or if it just had sequelitis.

Psycho Knight posted:

After running through a small hallway, the next scene triggers.

I’ll be all right… We barely walked at all. But thanks for looking out for me.

No problem. I’m trying to support this whole pregnant thing any way I can.

Itsuki, listen to me. You may not believe this either, but… I’ve never had a boyfriend, and I’ve never had a kid with anyone before.
Looks like a screenshot error here. You have a shot above that makes no sense where it is, and the same dialogue transcribed a few lines later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Drakenel posted:

If anything, I was reading him as a more laid back wake that's happy to help, but still isn't afraid to go 'wow that's lovely of you guys. Really?'

And oh boy, they dialed up the anime for this one, didn't they?
It's more like they dialed back the anime for the sequel. And that one was still full of typical anime tropes. Although let's be fair, it's still really early in the game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

I thought you were going to choose a balanced team. A party of four is 1 Tank, 1 Healer, and 2 DPS.
I dunno that much about MMOs, but the archetypal D&D/fantasy party is Fighter/Cleric/Rogue/Wizard, classified in 4th Edition as Defender/Leader/Striker/Controller.

Psycho Knight posted:

-The game originally released without a launcher. You may have noticed that the screenshots have been a little blurry compared to CII. Until today, I've just been playing the game with default settings (which were something of a mystery). Apparently SC has fixed this issue and the launcher is appearing where it should be, which means that I should be able to mess with graphics settings now and match up the resolution with OBS. Hopefully this will result in a slight bump to the screenshot quality. Yes, for about a week after release you couldn't change graphics or keybinding settings on PC. You could edit the ini file, but the changes apparently reverted after every launch.
:allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it's just some graphics settings that need to be tweaked every time the game launches, you might be able to set something up with a Windows batch file that you use to make the tweaks and launch the game with one click.

But seriously, holy crap SC. Get your act together.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

I tried messing with the ini file, but the resolution changes don't seem to be taking hold. The game always launches windowed in a resolution I can't figure out, which is why my OBS recording is off a smidge since I think that's set to 720p. I may try fiddling with it while it's running. Maybe it is going at 1080 by default despite being windowed.
I haven't read the new update yet, but I thought of a thing you could try. Take a screenshot using a program like Irfanview or even the Microsoft Game Bar that does window capture and look at the resolution of the resulting PNG image. You might need to adjust for the title bar, but it should give you a reasonable approximation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm just guessing, but I think that the unidirectional arrows with the "O"s and "X"s on them indicate an elemental advantage/disadvantage set. It looks like the elemental magic has its own rock-paper-scissors, Dark magic is strong against all the classical elements, Light is strong against Dark, and Light and Elemental magic are maybe neutral? The arrows there point both ways and have triangle symbols on both ends, so I think it's indicating some relationship outside the usual dichotomy. Maybe they're both strong against each other or something (which would make Light the glass cannon element).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It would be kinda dumb for them to do "secret church assassin" multiple games in a row, so I'm hoping for something different with Arie.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

It’s people like that who get made when I read their minds. Anyway, we’re done chitchatting here. It’s time for you to go home.
Probably should be "mad"? Also, about halfway through Ruka's stuff you start using "ready" instead of "read" for the whole touch telepathy thing.

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm guessing this is supposed to be more of a "just like siblings" kind of thing rather than directly blood related. Also, jeez that personality change. It's like they only bothered for half her lines. It's enough to give you whiplash.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mostly just voted for the ones that don't look twelve (or younger) and aren't related by blood to Itsuki.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

No need to get all sourdough or croissant about it. Just put on a rye smile.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

How many slots does each team have?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Well, then, I'm going to put in a vote for the Totally Standard-Issue D&D Adventuring Party for Team C and go with Female Fighter, Male Cleric, Male Mage, and Female Thief.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

SSNeoman posted:

Why did Mana of all people have to make this observation and why the gently caress must the MC always be such a square
I feel like it might not be a great idea to lower peoples' inhibitions when there's currently a ban on sex because it creates literal sex monsters :shrug:.

Also something I don't feel like has been touched on at all is the fact that Mahiru is now a Star Maiden, which in this game setting is apparently a 120-year commitment. She's probably not going home at the end of this, no matter how it ends up.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So that was a party... I think the God's Gifts over the centuries may be responsible for being so Earthlike in their culture. Still unsure how they know someones' tastes unless they got a secret tech that can profile anyone they come across.

Also, does Mahiru want others to share what subconscious thoughts they have with one another in hopes that it collectively strengthen their bonds with one another through mutual understanding? Reading this over for something sensible, it sounds like she's wondering if the system - i.e. Classmating for stronger Star Children - could be gamed.
Y'know what? That would make her more interesting in my book. If they had her being the one actively looking into the system and coming up with some of the crap you can do to make stronger Star Children instead of being just some weird hybrid of girl-next-door and Type A tsundere because of a half-assed remake personality change, I'd totally be up for that. It might even change the way I vote in the next heroine vote.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

So... is she attracted to him, or just assume Itsuki is attracted to her? I'm getting the impression of ongoing doublethink in Mahiru...
I'm fairly certain her original personality is supposed to be the "overcompensating for a crush" type of tsundere, because that's generally what that character archetype is used for.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Considering Farun seems to have elf ears, Femiruna having animal ears isn't that odd. C2 didn't seem to have non-humans, IIRC, but we already know C1 works on different logic.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Considering the rest of the cast is so loaded with anime tropes, anything that didn't play an anime character archetype completely straight would probably be so out of left field that it'd hit like a bowling ball.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm gonna put Team Give Psycho Some Goddamn Magic up for Team C. Magic Knight, Ranger, Sage, and Blacksmith. I also voted for a Magic Knight in the Strawpoll, because I'm a sucker for sword mages

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ashsaber posted:

Just you wait until next time, when PK gets all magic all the time and goes into the dungeon with magic wall type enemies.
His fault for complaining so much about not having magic :v:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BlazeEmblem posted:

Arie seems a lot less sheepish about all of the not-sex stuff than she initially seemed.
:thunk:

I mean, her character arc is pretty blatantly about how she's secretly into this kinda stuff and her embarrassment is half feigned and half embarrassment over how into it she is, because a "proper" lady isn't interested in all this "DEFINITELY NOT SEX, UNDERSTAND?" :ocelot::grin:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sure, let's go with option 2.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If Shang was about Itsuki's age when he was kidnapped "called over" to Granvania to fix Star God's fuckups, he'd have been born in the mid-late 1890s, like 1895 or so. Maybe he's a war orphan from the first Sino-Japanese war? Not as world-shaking a conflict as the first WW, but on a personal level, if he had no family to go back to, a world where he was regarded as a hero might be appealing.

Also, while I could see Shang living to 115+ (I think the oldest human being on record was something like 126?) he definitely wouldn't look like a grumpy middle-aged businessman without some source of immortality. Looks like maybe if Itsuki decides to stay behind, he'll have some time to keep the current batch of Star Maidens company while they sit out their 120+ year lifespans.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I had a feeling that the King had something God's Gift-related; didn't think he'd actually BE one... What I wanna know though is why'd these people make the last God's Gift king? And why this had to be treated as a secret?

Also Ophiuchus wants to be heard methinks.
I just think it's been long enough now (100 years) that most of the people who knew their king was a former God's Gift are dead of old age and it's just kinda been forgotten. Remember the rumor that Shang was 120? Turns out it's true.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I say don't kill yourself trying to get every bit of dialogue the game has to offer, plenty of LPs just do one "route" through the game.

Of course, if you're having fun, the choice is ultimately yours, but don't do it just because you feel the Internet deserves the full Conception Plus experience.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I guess that's one of the perils of JRPG design with VN dialogue scenes. Granted, I don't think any of the Persona/Devil Survivor games have been this egregious, and they usually prompt you to save before anything important happens.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm firmly convinced now that Narc is this game's Enzea. And Mana is in on it; either that or Narc has a code phrase/spell that will revert her to her "true" Impurity form for a boss battle. Whether Shang is in on this or not remains to be seen, but he might be a dupe.

Hopefully the inconsistency with the CGs/event costumes is more "everybody gets one in the game" and less "somebody's got a Colette fetish".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Re: Alfie's bonding events and other Maidens showing up in them, Persona 4 Golden did something very similar with Marie. She wasn't in the original PS2 version of P4, so she's not mentioned in the plot (outside of her introduction and one optional dungeon in... February, IIRC), but the other Investigation Team members show up frequently in the Aeon Social Link. Considering how much SC seems to want Conception to be a Persona game, but isn't hitting the mark, it's almost fitting that Alfie is "Marie, implemented worse".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Granvanians sure ain't looking too good right now. Why did Shang want to come live here? It's looking more and more like Stockholm Syndrome.

The writers are also kind of bad at getting their morals across. Like maybe if we came across Femiruna in the marketplace buying up a bakery's stock for a surprise party for Itsuki and there was a poor family trying to buy bread for dinner, maybe they'd have had a leg to stand on with the whole "troubling others" BS. It would be like hammering a nail with a sledgehammer, but they'd at least have a point. I'd bet there's also a bit of a culture gap here, where you're supposed to be thinking of the shop's other customers more than the owner themselves, but it just seems like a swing and a miss from our side of the ocean. Mirei's event too.

Farun and Mahiru were definitely holding those swimsuits on with some sort of waterproof tape or glue. You could at least design clothing that it's physically possible for people to wear, SC. :allears:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I mean, I'm more likely to vote for Mahiru than, say, Tarua or Lillith/Lillie at this point, but I'm also extremely likely to do what I did in the CII LP and just abstain from the ending vote. I don't really care about the romance aspect of the game and am more interested in the character arcs, which in CII were resolved by then. So if it looks like there's more to be seen character-wise at the end of this game, I'll vote, but otherwise I'm just gonna stand back and watch.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Raitzeno posted:

The only thing that comes to mind is that the modern (3 and on) Persona games have an optional platonic route with each of the possible romantic interests.
3 does not, actually (unless you count the FMC route in Portable). You have to date every girl in the original release and FES. The only way to remain friends is not to progress the Link beyond Rank... I want to say 4? Maybe 5?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I say option B.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Conception definitely shares a bunch of flaws with Persona, and one of those is that nearly all of the interactions in the game are focused on the protagonist. Conception exacerbates it a bit even over Persona, though, because while in P3 it's sort of a plot point that SEES doesn't really hang out together much and Minato/Makoto is sort of the "glue" that holds the group together, and in P4 and P5 you get more scenes with the Investigation Team and the Phantom Thieves all together that establish them as being friends, the Star Maidens here could all hate each other for all we know. It's very rare for all the Star Maidens to be in a scene together (I think it's only been their introduction and... that one party where you get to choose who Itsuki dances with), and actual character interactions between Maidens are even rarer.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

My point is more that SEES is kinda cliquey until plot happens and they start getting closer. When you see people hanging out in the lounge, it's always Mitsuru and Akihiko (and later Shinjiro) together at the coffee table area, Yukari, Junpei, and sometimes Fuuka over by the dining table, Ken off on his own, and Aigis and Koromaru by the TV. It takes Shinjiro's death to bring Ken into the group, Takeharu's death to get Yukari and Mitsuru to bond, etc. And this is all environmental storytelling; you pick it up by observing who's doing what when you talk to them.

With the Investigation Team and Phantom Thieves, new party members seamlessly integrate with the old ones, and everyone's pretty buddy-buddy right from the start.

In Conception, though, as a hazard of the Maidens not being party members and not getting those plot scenes, you rarely see everyone together interacting as a team the way you do in Persona. And a common complaint about Persona is that there's too much focus on the protagonist and you don't see other characters interacting a lot. Conception is that facet of Persona dialed up to 11 (or down to 0, depending on how you see it).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, well, we knew Team Psycho Knight's reign of terror over the Labyrinths had to end at some point. We'll have to settle for them trivializing two (three?) bosses. Hopefully Katie fits into the team and Luna achieves similar success in her solo endeavors.

The answer to anything weird going on in fantasy is always "a wizard did it" (or in this case "Star Energy"). Lillith's/Lillie's hair situation is the way it is (trippy, gravity-defying, and selectively cloth-like) because of Star Energy.

Count me in as thinking Sue was significantly shorter than she turned out to be. Must be her general build and personality being somewhat child-like. There aren't any real surprises in the rest of the lineup, although that's really because of lack of any real frame of reference. Collette is freakin' tiny though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Alfie got a cure for the whole "being dead" thing, but she may still have a shortened lifespan, who knows? The writers certainly seen to have forgotten they were hinting at the whole Star Maiden job being a 120+ year commitment. Also who the gently caress knows how Yuzuha's terminal case of Anime Narcolepsy interacts with that. Does she just end up in a coma for 100+ years?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've been thinking more that Yuzuha's fantasy death narcolepsy is caused by some Star Energy thing and going to Earth/Sora might "cure" it simply because there's no Star Energy here to cause the problem. It's like having a magic curse and then entering an anti-magic field.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Flying Twybil posted:

That aside, part of me would prefer the previous version of Mahiru more in a way. It fits better with the "sudden competition for Itsuki" part of her story and it's still more consistent than whatever we were getting. That being said, I still can't look past the cousins part and would still rather have it be a non-romantic route. I know I've stated it before, but I'd much rather it be platonic for Yuzuha as well.
Personally I wish they'd learned from Persona 4 and just put in platonic options for all the Maidens. But I suppose that's expecting too much.

Raitzeno posted:

My bottom two are in the top five. (I'm pretty sure they're the entire thread's bottom two: Colette and the 'Twins'.) gently caress that popularity poll. (Though I do find it entertaining that the 'bottom' three are within a hundred-vote range and then it's two separate thousand-point jumps to second and first.)
It's more like Colette and Tarua for me. Like PK said, Tarua's route is a whole lot of nothing, and they both have the whole pedo angle in spades; Colette directly mentions it, and Tarua is the most childlike of the Maidens. Sue also comes of as somewhat childish to me for some reason, but at least she seems to be developing as a character by the end of it. Lillith and Lillie aren't great, but there's at least something in their route.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I mostly agree with you on how the routes went. I might put Reone and Femiruna like one place higher each, but you generally hit the nail on the head. Your Top Four are basically the only routes (out of 13 goddamn characters) where anything gets resolution, and routes like Mahiru's, Farun's, and Tarua's never really had anything going on in the first place.

If they'd bothered to finish Alfie's integration instead of half-assing it to the extreme, she'd probably be a strong contender for first place to me, though.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 11, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yuzuha's and Alfie's are really the only character endings that deviate from a very strict formula (Maiden X comes to Earth, gets a job in a related field to their Granvanian profession, they live happily ever after) in any meaningful way, IMO. Like aside from those two, they're all 99% similar.

I wonder why they decided to make Alfie's route the one where Itsuki stays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe the anime studio was only handed those summaries and did the expanding themselves.

Also, remember when Shang was the cool king who handed Itsuki a literal blank check to equip himself with? Too bad he had to be a dickbag in the end.