Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I’m donating to this; I’ve been way too close to $50 deciding my fate before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I need emergency money to buy wayfair “appliances”

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yup

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I just upped my monthly and posted links in the trump, covid, and gaming threads if anyone would like to follow and increase their contribution or at least get some quotes going in those or other threads. plinkey you’re a real hero

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

can we send money directly to the fund or is it better to up the patreon?

Plinkey takes direct one time donations by arrangement via PM or email to goonfund@stanknuts.com (don’t send money to this address unless they say otherwise privately)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Plinkey doesn't need a PM, just an email at goonfund@stanknuts.com

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

timefly posted:

Really? All his recent posts say to PM until further notice and that his email got messed up. But I'm not familiar with that one. I'm afraid to ask him directly though because I had to ask for help way too many times last year. I only ask again because I really can't wait any longer, I need to stop the eviction process and I've asked everyone I know already. Well, I put my email address in my earlier post, anyway.

nope I'm real dumb sorry

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

It is not the amount that's the issue, it's that it's a tale as old as time of, "it's just little, I'll pay it back" then turns into, "and that's why I pull $500 out twice a month and then tried to delete the transaction history and when people asked for updates or what was going on I said I was stressed out or busy or the financial report was Coming Soon(tm) for 3 years."

if Plinkey actually wanted to steal the Goon Fund, I'm sure he would do so in a way that doesn't send notifications to everyone to contributes. The whole thing has run and continues to run on the trust that he fairly disburses the money that comes his way, all the while sorting through so many requests he can't fulfill as well as trying to accurately judge actual scammers. Actual charity administrators get compensated for their labor, whereas Plinkey runs at a loss. Take your money out if you think he's abusing his responsibility, but you've constructed a real strawman there.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

also this is a great time to let people in other threads and forums know about the fund, especially if you can't contribute as much as you'd like. c-spammers (and goons at large) famously live in giant bookmarked megathreads and may not have seen this one or know what it's about from the title or know that it runs dry every month.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm an ardent Plinkey supporter and he deals with a huge amount of weighing human suffering. that qcs thread is filled with a ton of antisocial weirdos with axes to grind against cspam at large but also has a lot of cogent points about how important decentralization and transparency is for mutual aid.

it would be really good to move the fund off of a platform where a for profit corp is taking a full fifth of donations and plinkey is responsible for thousands of dollars in unnecessary taxes. there is also a substantial population of goons who would be open to giving (or giving more) under a more transparent framework. I really think this fund would be extremely beneficial to the forums at large but it's a hard sell organized as such and even at its current level, there are posts in here from people whose requests were overlooked because it's a one man operation.

the uk fund proves it's possible to have a more mature organization without too much administrative burden. there were points made in qcs that it's much different to do so in the us, but cspam has a fairly deep bench of npo and accounting experts who can and have offered their support.

I'm still fully in support of plinkey's fund; I don't think he's embezzling thousands for an uncontrolled gambling and ppv addiction like some in qcs are alleging, but it's hard to not blame people who watched the tremendous shitstorms of doobie's, koalas march, or lowtax's scams and choose to not donate

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Javid posted:

I look forward to all the upcoming better goon funding networks that all the experts commenting on it are definitely qualified to found and oversee

that's what I posted. there already is one for the uk thread run by rotating five person council plus an accountant that's legally registered in the country and puts out financial reports at much less cash flow than this fund because they divide the labor and accountability

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

pentyne posted:

I looked up the numbers and if setting it up as a 501-3(c) means he needs to take 10-20% to cover operations costs that's an insane bargain compared to most other charities.

I just want answers why he's been taking it all as personal donations for 3 years and paying income tax on it, like at that point it's cheaper to shut down the fund and just finance it yourself.

except Patreon takes 20% so the same as normal charities in addition to covering taxes out of pocket. it's no wonder people are suspicious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lousy hat posted:

if you want to help goons who need aid, give to the fund and support it or shut the gently caress up.

the concern trolls are doing a great job keeping the thread bumped after the unsticky though