Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I use it, it works

it’s designed to hold a physical load, ie, like a dock

it can go up.. and down

it has enough connecty bits to release edition two which is faster

and people will talk about usb c superseding it and already apple have caved but usb c is inferior because

it’s structurally weak. literally pathetic. it requires the host device to have a thin bit in it.. SAD

also it’s the mad max of compatibility. some charging devices can supply 2.4 amps directly thru the cable into your phone. you think your phone can handle that? lmao no

long story short : vote for lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

beautiful paean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my apple pencil (it’s more of a pen let’s be fair) has a very rugged and profoundly acceptable lighting plug and it also charges from ipad which has a lightning and guess what that same cable also charges my phone too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i love the lightning connector. remember the cursed 30 pin connector days? remember how bad things were? this is the promised land.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

my apple pencil (it’s more of a pen let’s be fair) has a very rugged and profoundly acceptable lighting plug and it also charges from ipad which has a lightning and guess what that same cable also charges my phone too

why is it an outie instead of an innie though

it boggles the mind

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
ty for explaining the disadvantages of usb-c. very enlightning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I felt that pun deep in my bowels

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

why is it an outie instead of an innie though

it boggles the mind

the collective genius at apple weighed up the lameness of an outie, with its extremely needs suiting dongleless charge ability, against being able to charge with it a cable.. which you can do except it needs that very easy to lose dongle

it should have had a two stage tip, one exposing the female connector, then removing that to expose the male connector

or is it slave and master connector I can’t remember which one is accurate

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
no that's stupid everyone has plenty of lightning chargers if they have an iphone or ipad

it shouldve been an innie

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

no that's stupid everyone has plenty of lightning chargers if they have an iphone or ipad

it shouldve been an innie

yeah but if you're just messing around with it and it kicks and you'r eout somewhere, you can just charge it for 15s and keep going for another half hour

i have lots of chargers and poo poo but the promise of ipads is i can just take that and maybe the pencil to the coffee shop, without dragging a big rear end charger like it's a gaming laptop

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the very notion of not having every device you intend to use at 100% before taking it anywhere is foreign to me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sniep posted:

the very notion of not having every device you intend to use at 100% before taking it anywhere is foreign to me

congrats?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lightning connector sucks rear end and should have been replaced by usb-c but the hack jony ives wanted lovely thin phones

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lets not start shagging too much in this of all possible threads

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
given that apple had a hand in designing usb-c i don't understand how lightning and usb-c are two different things, physically

why don't they fit each other

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

this is a mental disease I'm just not sure which one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

lightning connector sucks rear end and should have been replaced by usb-c but the hack jony ives wanted lovely thin phones

all things aside usb-c is physically weaker and you know what else is weak? your hill starts in a manual skill. fuckin' appaling if you ask me

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
i heard they got rid of the lightning jack. and now u have to buy a dongle

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

echinopsis posted:

this is a mental disease I'm just not sure which one

myrtaritis

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

given that apple had a hand in designing usb-c i don't understand how lightning and usb-c are two different things, physically

why don't they fit each other

lightning needs to work on poo poo like the remote that's ilke 5mm thick, usb-c needs to be able to deliver 87W and also do like 20gb/s at the same time, connector design isn't arbitrary, there are actual physical constraints they gotta work with

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the USB-IF should be disbanded and its members put on trial for making USB such a clusterfuck

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
a recap:
lightning is basically a different form factor for usb connectors. it can do a few more things, but overall pretty much just usb.

thunderbolt is a high speed pcie link. it can also carry display port.

usb c is lightning and thunderbolt connectors merged into one. some usb c cables are just dumb usb cables or dumb charging cables. others are full-on DP and thunderbolt cables.

usb 4 is straight up thunderbolt.

op is totally right, usb c connectors are weak and flimsy, and the fact that the cable end is female is dumb. lightning rules. it’s rigid as gently caress, it holds your device tightly, and it’s thin. it also deals with water a lot better than usb c. usb c is more prone to getting gunked up, harder to clean, and can’t be used to support a device’s weight, even a phone.

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

usb c supremacy

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

echinopsis posted:

all things aside usb-c is physically weaker and you know what else is weak? your hill starts in a manual skill. fuckin' appaling if you ask me

ive snapped multiple lightning connectors but never a usb-c connector. I don't have any usb-c connectors made by apple though so maybe that's it

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
hands-down the best new feature of the iPhone 5 when it came out, by far.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

tacticool

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

chunderbolt

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
got up without my glasses and spent ~2 minutes trying to plug a usb c into a lightning port

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

ive snapped multiple lightning connectors but never a usb-c connector.

just because you go to the apple store to snap the cables off in the display units doesn't mean that they don't hold up to normal abuse.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shaggar-tage

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

jimmyjams posted:

i heard they got rid of the lightning jack. and now u have to buy a dongle

I heard they’re getting rid of the lightning dongle and now you get jack

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lightning needs to work on poo poo like the remote that's ilke 5mm thick, usb-c needs to be able to deliver 87W and also do like 20gb/s at the same time, connector design isn't arbitrary, there are actual physical constraints they gotta work with

lightning is usb 3.0; usb-c is usb 3.0

both carry significant power

both fit into 5mm spaces

I understand that connector design is not arbitrary but these are very similar connectors. it seems like lightning was just a mistake

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

echinopsis posted:

also it’s the mad max of compatibility. some charging devices can supply 2.4 amps directly thru the cable into your phone. you think your phone can handle that? lmao no

e: how does this work exactly?

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 10, 2019

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

bring back connectors with screws on them

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I assume it was a combination of different manufacturers and varying laziness about tolerances, but a vga connector could become a battle to (un)secure

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

charging my cell phone with an amp25

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

lol if your fastening needs aren’t met with bespoke wooden dowels and/or rawhide. jesus christ.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

President Beep posted:

lol if your fastening needs aren’t met with bespoke wooden dowels and/or rawhide. jesus christ.

beep, what do you think jesus was fastened with?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yep let’s nail our connectors in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it seems like lightning was just a mistake

the trick nbsd is to realise most people aren’t you and live in a society

a society where lightning makes all the sense and usb c is lame

what they should have done is made lightning 2 which is 1000% reverse compatible with lightning one