Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There is just something about the line read in the trailer of "it hasn't happened yet" that just kind of immediately paints this picture in my mind of a film exactly like Inception where the movie is just gonna sprint past how stupid it is to try and tell an entertaining story and then turn around asking to be rewarded for being intellectual and thought-provoking.

But i'm still gonna see it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm going to see it when i can watch it on my tv because lmao cinema incubation chambers no thanks

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

There is just something about the line read in the trailer of "it hasn't happened yet" that just kind of immediately paints this picture in my mind of a film exactly like Inception where the movie is just gonna sprint past how stupid it is to try and tell an entertaining story and then turn around asking to be rewarded for being intellectual and thought-provoking.

What’s stupid about Inception? And what does it mean for a movie to “ask to be rewarded”?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

This is a really confusing post.

Are you having an issue with a movie having a fantastic premise and embracing it and taking it seriously and wearing the emotions/moments on its sleeve instead of wink wink nodding and saying "hey don't take this seriously, we are in on the joke and we won't ask for emotional draws or empathy in this movie?"

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Darko posted:

This is a really confusing post.

Are you having an issue with a movie having a fantastic premise and embracing it and taking it seriously and wearing the emotions/moments on its sleeve instead of wink wink nodding and saying "hey don't take this seriously, we are in on the joke and we won't ask for emotional draws or empathy in this movie?"

Personally I'm laughing at the idea of a movie by Christopher Nolan having emotions of any kind on its sleeve.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Prince Myshkin posted:

Personally I'm laughing at the idea of a movie by Christopher Nolan having emotions of any kind on its sleeve.

I mean, that is 100% what Interstellar is

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Look at you loving Philistines enjoying a Hollywood movie. You loving hacks

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Prince Myshkin posted:

All of his movies are. The coldness is only because the protagonist is always broken.

Memento, everything is because of feeling and his lost wife and not wanting to face the pain. Prestige, while 2/3 are all about the glory and work, one is all about the love/family. Etc.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Man I wish they would just release this flick on VOD

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Darko posted:

All of his movies are. The coldness is only because the protagonist is always broken.

Memento, everything is because of feeling and his lost wife and not wanting to face the pain. Prestige, while 2/3 are all about the glory and work, one is all about the love/family. Etc.

Do you think his protagonists and the "coldness" is something of his own subconscious projection and a cry for something and if you poke Nolan will he emote? A lot of his movies center around the family and loss or sacrifice. Interstellar, Prestige, Inception, Memento...perhaps Nolan just wants to express himself but cannot and does it through his movies.

EDIT: To be clear I do not mean this as serious. Cause I know it will be taken that way.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 8, 2020

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

teacup posted:

Man I wish they would just release this flick on VOD

If they did that, Nolan would have to approve a bug first that A). determines if your TV is of adequate size and quality to allow you to watch it and B). auto-calibrates your TV for TRUE CINEMA 逸ぷ媛.

I.E. LOL not gonna happen.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The review embargo just dropped.

Edit: Looks to be his most critically divided since The Dark Knight Rises or Interstellar

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 21, 2020

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1296921584536412160?s=21

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don’t care. I just wanna see the loving movie at this point.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
*slams fists on table*
VOD! VOD! VOD!

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
It's out here in Oz and I saw it this morning. I was one of about seven people in the theatre and we were all so spread out, not sure how this is going to do financially.

As a warning I've seen interviews which say this is not a time travel film. These are lies, it absolutely is a time travel story, that it has some individual quirks to it's mechanics doesn't change that.

My impression...eh, it's fine? Visually its' great and there is some good use of the time inversion gimmick, a few times you see an action scene with some weird backwards elements and then you come back to it later to see it from the "inverted" POV so all the forwards stuff is now inverted and you're seeing the previous backwards stuff play out forwards now and it's fine, but it feels like a gimmick in search of a better story.

The explanation for the time weirdness is not very convincing, but as I said, it's an excuse for action scenes so even though I didn't really understand it, it does its job I guess. I would advise not trying to figure it out exactly and just go with "some objects and people have their entropy reversed so they seem to travel backwards in time" and don't think about it anymore. Part of the reason I didn't get it is the loving sound mixing. The opening scene at the opera has dialogue but I couldn't tell you what was said if you put a gun to my head. I've heard Nolan is going deaf and that's why his movies sound like they do, but jesus, it's all foleyed LOUD NOISES and the dialogue is just lost. So the explanations might have been clearer if I heard all of them.

The movie is just really an excuse for a bunch of big action set pieces, like there is the opera attack, the Indian penthouse intrusion, the airport terminal heist, the highway robbery (and you go through some twice, see above) and the final assault. The plot seems like a big excuse to just run through these.

The movie is at it's best when it's just Kenny B being The Worst Person in the Universe, or Washington and Pattinson buddy copping their way through time. When it stops to talk about changing the past or explaining the Grandfather Paradox, it just lost me. I was also wondering where our heroes kept finding all these goons, but I supposed this is explained by Aaron Taylor Johnson and pals showing up out of nowhere to provide aid and show our heroes have more allies than they thought.

On a related note I forgot ATJ was english and so I didn't recognize him at first what with the beard and using his normal accent.

I also feel Nolan saw The Night Manager miniseries with Loki and Dr House and that's why he cast Elizabeth Debicki. She is playing the exact same character in the exact same situation, only thing that has changed is her name.

It's not a terrible movie, it doesn't feel as long as Interstellar did, but it does drag and I don't see how a more conventional spy flick wouldn't have been just as good. The movies good graces don't come from Nolan's more cerebral ideas, but the more human touches. Washington feels like a more lively main character than Nolan has had in the past, Pattinson rules, Branagh as the villain is great, just a man with zero redeeming qualities and the little touches like that goon who five finger discounts the gold bar and Washington styling on some stuffy british jerks. Big lol to the bad guys who show how evil they are by stomping on cellos and knocking sheet music over, such heels! Nonsense about a war from the future on the past is just a snooze frankly.

And about the motivation for the plot so the future is trying to kill the past, because the movie seems to say they are just CR-AAAZY and don't seem to consider the aforementioned grandfather paradox or don't care or think they will be fine, and their agent in the past is a massive rear end in a top hat who just wants to die and take the whole world with him...and then they reveal at the end the future is doing it to stop climate change and save themselves. So the villains are maniacs who want to kill everyone, are some people concerned about the environment? Jesus. . No wonder people think Nolan is a conservative.

But the movie does have one great death and body disposal Branagh just banging his head on that railing made all seven of us crack the gently caress up, I'll remember that one for ages. Can't wait for the gif to hit the net.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just got back from the movies, and the sound quality was abysmal. I'm guessing this is the cinema and not the movie in this case but when you see it pretend you can only hear half of the words and you'll roughly have my experience.

It sure was fun not knowing anyone's name, and even more super fun that there is a plot relevant reason people have to wear gas masks for large parts of the film.

I will probably really enjoy this with subtitles once it comes onto netflix or whatever.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A non zero-number of human beings are literally risking their lives and the lives of their loved ones to see a Christopher Nolan action movie and that is extremely 2020 vibes.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
If I pay $99 I can rent an entire movie theater screen/hall to myself. Like...I'm kind of tempted. Just me, by myself....I'm going to buy all the food and drink in the world and just go ham.

For 2 hours.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait that’s a thing?

Tempting.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner posted:

Wait that’s a thing?

Tempting.

Yes, apparently my main movie theater that I go to all the time is offering to rent a movie screen/hall (they have 24 screens). For $99 you can be there by yourself or have up to 20 people of your choice. Though I probably need to read the fine print.

EDIT: Apparently it's $150 for a new movie and it's $99 for a classic movie like Jurassic Park. They have selected times for when they'd be airing a movie but it's a movie from the choices they give you/are showing. It is selling out.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 22, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just so I don’t come off like a total psycho rear end in a top hat I completely understand wanting to go back to the movies but it’s simply too dangerous depending on what part of the world you live in for the same reason that opening schools in the US is just an incredibly shortsighted idea: Air Conditioning.

We now know for sure that all it takes is one hyper contagious person to release virus into the circulated air system and the entire building is basically hosed, mask or not. This is why teachers are getting sick in schools when they don’t even have sick kids in their own classes, or why Hospitals transmit infection. So please, especially if you’re in the US, call ahead and ask what air filtration system they have installed in their AC, and if they cannot answer that question, understand that no amount of social distancing or masks will save you if someone two theaters over coughs.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also that.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gatts posted:

Yes, apparently my main movie theater that I go to all the time is offering to rent a movie screen/hall (they have 24 screens). For $99 you can be there by yourself or have up to 20 people of your choice. Though I probably need to read the fine print.

EDIT: Apparently it's $150 for a new movie and it's $99 for a classic movie like Jurassic Park. They have selected times for when they'd be airing a movie but it's a movie from the choices they give you/are showing. It is selling out.

Yeah if I have that option, I'm doing it

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I have never been able to fully hear a Nolan movie in theaters. I always end up needing to use subtitles later on to catch large chunks of dialogue.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

A Nolan film with poorly mixed dialogue?! Surely not!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Are we sure the bad dialogue mixing isn’t just a brilliant expression of auterism?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The only Nolan movie I've had sound issues with in theaters was Interstellar. I remember the organ music for that being some of the loudest sounds I've ever heard in a theater.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So is there a way to watch this at home like with some new releases or is that gonna be later on?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's an old saw, but I couldn't make out half of Bane's dialogue in TDKR. Perhaps partially a combination of the cinema's sound system and not being able to see his mouth movements, but the mix still has to take the blame for some of it, because I never had any trouble making out what Darth Vader was saying. "Let's make him sound like he's talking through a drainpipe, who could have a problem with that?"

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

In Inception, I recall Ken Watanabe mumbling into a carpet, his voice not only accented and muffled, but also lost in a sound mix that favors hearing music and sound effects over being able to understand what people are saying. Badly mixed dialogue has been an ongoing problem with most of his films.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just so I'm clear, I have watched most of the movies Nolan has made and have never had much trouble understanding what it going on. I think it's probably difficult enough plus the shithouse cinema I was at made it unfollowable.

I guarantee you if it was as bad as it was for me last night it would have been mentioned in reviews. I literally only know two of the characters names by the end of the movie because I couldn't hear poo poo.

e. lol, just checked IMDB and the main character doesn't actually get given a name, which is an OK choice except I didn't hear anyone else's either.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Never had that problem with Nolan movies tbh. All the sound levels when seeing those in theaters were clear as day.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Technical opinion. Nolan mixes in his own studio which is mastered perfectly and doesn't account for the variance of theaters. Speaker blew out in my first viewing of TDK and I couldn't hear poo poo. Bane preview of TDKR and nobody understood him and they re ADRed everything. He refuses to get beyond his own setup.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That sounds exactly like what someone who really really got into Howard Hughes and then suddenly had a Hughes amount of money shortly after having to abandon that project and do Batman would do

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I watched it in NZ yesterday, only about 10 people in the theatre. It was pretty good. There were a couple of scenes that definitely could have done with better audio mixing. The lack of names wasn't really an issue, it just makes it annoying to discuss the movie because it becomes easier to address all the characters by their actors' names, and they all have long names.

I enjoyed the plot itself, though it's pretty confusing. I found myself actively having to untangle it as the final action sequence started so that I could make sense of what was happening. But it all tied together pretty well in the end.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Saw it today, i'm going to have some reading on the internet and maybe see it again on Cheap Tuesday or Blu Ray before I decide if the plot makes sense or not.

• Whole thing looked gorgeous, some spectacular locations, kind of like a Bond film in that respect.
  • Great fight choreography
  • Some spectacular action scenes involving vehicles, i'm surprised i'm not bored of car chases after seeing them in a million different movies.
  • Michael Caine wonderful as always
  • The music is about as subtle as being hit by a bus, he didn't use Hans Zimmer on this one so more synthy and less classical.
  • Is the movie difficult to understand like 2001 or eyes wide shut because there's a lot going on here and you need time to process it all or does it just not make sense? Reasonable people will disagree I suppose.
  • It's loving loud, not as loud as Dunkirk (that was super loud on purpose) but there's a definite choice to go with loudness here.
  • Nice to see Robert Pattinson in something that isn't that stupid Twilight poo poo. Apparently he prepared for his part by watching Christopher Hitchens videos.
  • The women characters were good.
  • Without the time element, it would basically be a bond film, the villain and his henchman are super cliche.
  • The script was well written (when you could hear it).

Ultimately yeah it's polarizing and if you didn't like Interstellar or Inception you aren't going to like this.

Also yeah the audio mixing was atrocious

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Nice to see Robert Pattinson in something that isn't that stupid Twilight poo poo.

It's been almost a decade since the last Twilight movie and he's been in quite a few fantastic things since then, any one of which should have proven that he's more than just Edward Cullen and which collectively should have smashed that notion to pieces by now, but I guess for some people he's still in that Leo-after-Titanic phase of his career.

Also, everything I've been reading about this gives me the impression that Tenet is exactly the movie that Inception's detractors claimed that movie was.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

sethsez posted:

It's been almost a decade since the last Twilight movie and he's been in quite a few fantastic things since then, any one of which should have proven that he's more than just Edward Cullen and which collectively should have smashed that notion to pieces by now, but I guess for some people he's still in that Leo-after-Titanic phase of his career.

Also, everything I've been reading about this gives me the impression that Tenet is exactly the movie that Inception's detractors claimed that movie was.

Sorry I haven't seen him in anything before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Seemlar posted:

I mean, that is 100% what Interstellar is

Besides Interstellar, the Nolan Batman trilogy is pretty emotional. You are asked to care about Bruce Wayne. A lot.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 23, 2020