Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What’s the box office numbers on this? I still wonder whether it just would’ve been better / more profitable on VOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I saw this yesterday and it was pretty neat. The cinematography and editing was great and the backwards/forwards synth score was interesting. That said it had this Da Vinci Code-feel to it. A metric fuckton of exposition and a million locations but it still managed to move at a nice pace, but when you stop thinking about it it doesn't make sense.

Go see it. It's fun.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Robert Deadford posted:

Fair point.

That's the fun of time travel narratives. What I was thinking about was time travel narratives in general: is the timeline in this film like the one in, say, Avengers Endgame, where visitors from the future can come back, change something major and head into a different branch of the multiple universe they live in, or is it like in Back To The Future, where Marty can erase himself from the one, singular timeline?

its a singular deterministic timeline as far as we're shown. The possibility of reality branching is brought up, but since its a paradox the protagonists play it safe and act on the belief their past success depends on their decision to invert after they've succeeded in order to set the events that brought about that success in motion.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
I think there are definitely some valid criticisms to be made for this film, the vague pseudo science and bad sound mixing being the two that irked me the most, but I did enjoy this film a lot. When the plot actually kicked into high gear and the action sequences got ambitious I was enjoying myself far too much to think too deeply about the annoying aspects.

The first time they encounter the switcheroo machine in the free port, and the protagonist is unknowingly fighting himself, was absolutely awesome. It was even better to see it revisited later from the reversed perspective when you understood what was actually happening. The same thing goes for the truck heist and reversed car chase sequence. How could anyone watch that and not be enthralled? The big fight/raid at the end however was confusing as gently caress. The red and blue squads just seemed to be vaguely shooting at nothing and everything. It was spectacular to watch, and there were some jaw dropping visuals like the building exploding, restoring and exploding again all at the same time, but there was definitely a point during it where I was totally lost. I just assumed that they were fighting some sort of soviet militia that Sator was in control of?

Anyway, I enjoyed being back in the cinema and I definitely think this will merit a re-watch sooner rather than later.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
Those guys seem to have been hired goons on short contracts - dude's rich, remember, and he catches one of his guys stealing earlier in the movie. I'm more interested in how Tenet recruits people and how these people keep up their family lives and sanity while being time warriors.

megapuppy
Jun 21, 2006

Mastiff Logistics left my package in the rain
Saw this at the massive IMAX at London Waterloo last night (same screen Tom Cruise watched it on monday) - and I will say, it looked absolutely amazing. The huge, full frame picture made the action sequences incredibly immersive. But as a film... well it sure was a Christopher Nolan movie. There’s some technically superb action scenes with some amazing VFX. But if you’ve had problems with other Nolan films, this isn’t going to sway your opinion of him.
I’m curious to give it a second view though. I’m not exactly a thicky (I think!) and it’s a pretty confusing film in a lot of places. Lots of quickly-delivered exposition (with mumbly sound mixing on dialogue)
It’s like THE NIGHT MANAGER meets LOOPER with a light dose of Phillip K Dick

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Just watched this. I may have missed some stuff but could someone explain to me the ending to the car chase scene? The protagonist hid the mcguffin in the bmw glove compartment before handing the orange container to he Russians - I know that later he finds the container somewhere, so he put... something inside? He waits for the container to move to know when to start chasing the Russians car, and then he saw the sequence of the container exchanging hands. And then the mcguffin was shaking about in one of the cars and got into the Russians hands and then he crashes? And how did he survive the explosion? Is it because the car became an entropy item because he was driving it?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

During the briefing before the Protagonist uses the turnstile they tell him that heat transfer will be reversed and you can see the car windows freezing over because of the fire. Later on Neill tells him he might be the first person to get hypothermia from a car explosion. He was also carrying an inverted tracker - you can see him checking if it works on an inverted phone (forget figuring out how inverted EM waves work, the heat transfer thing already goes away in the final confrontation) and he puts it in the container after it was emptied and discarded, with the reasoning that after enough time unpasses, he'll have the MacGuffin's location when it was inside

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just watched in a theater in Trieste, which sorta killed the mood during one of the thrilling Washington-Branagh dialogues we sure as gently caress are not keeping any secret plutonium stores here, too many nosy pensioners. As some other goon pointed out, i too thought about looper when the metal turnstiles and gold bars from the future started to appear. All in all I had fun, esp as our cineplex is running at a heavily discounted prices so it would have to be very bad to make it sting

EDIT: My localized dub audio was perfectly clear, no issues at all.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 28, 2020

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Just came back from watching it here in Holland. Thank gently caress for subtitles because Nolan seems to be actively trolling people now. Some key exposition is delivered over the _crackly headsets of a catamaran_ while it is _crashing across the waves_.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Saw it earlier today. It sure is loud and mumbly! Very very pretty film, but I didn't really understand the final third at all until I read some explanations online afterwards and I'm still not sure if I'm just dumb or it doesn't actually make sense.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Vir posted:

I had no problem hearing all the dialogue. Granted, we had Norwegian subtitles, and it's possible that I'm subconsciously reading them, but I wasn't paying attention to them.

Yeah, maybe Nolan will be the first one to start the mass-subtitle revolution for all media in the US, because I'm watching it with Chinese subtitles I can't read 99% of and the audio was not helping. Maybe like all millennials we just have terrible hearing from using headphones forever, or because modern TVs have shittier speakers...but it is getting harder and harder for me to discern dialogue when there is enough background noise, even in non-Nolan things. When there is a subtitle option for stuff, I use it.

Someone mentioned Primer earlier in this thread and by the halfway mark of the movie I finally made that connection but it took a while to get it. By the end I was thinking "oh, this is Primer + By His Bootstraps."

Even though I guessed that the Freeport fight was them fighting themselves once Pattinson rushed to make sure Washington doesn't shoot the other one...but I didn't understand at the time that the turnstile meant it was the same person on both sides, so I thought they were both fighting a version of themselves.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ruffian Price posted:

During the briefing before the Protagonist uses the turnstile they tell him that heat transfer will be reversed and you can see the car windows freezing over because of the fire. Later on Neill tells him he might be the first person to get hypothermia from a car explosion. He was also carrying an inverted tracker - you can see him checking if it works on an inverted phone (forget figuring out how inverted EM waves work, the heat transfer thing already goes away in the final confrontation) and he puts it in the container after it was emptied and discarded, with the reasoning that after enough time unpasses, he'll have the MacGuffin's location when it was inside
Thanks, I definitely missed that line during the briefing. How did the Russians get the macguffin though? It just looked like it bounced around a car not sure which, then they got it?? ?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Thanks, I definitely missed that line during the briefing. How did the Russians get the macguffin though? It just looked like it bounced around a car not sure which, then they got it?? ?

because everything is a closed loop, everything that did happen and whatever they choose has already happened, him going back in time was the reason the car crash forced him to throw the macguffin. Him going into the past was the reason they got it in the first place. and no matter what, all actions you make in an active effort to change time just reinforce the timeline you were trying to avoid. this is the by his Bootstraps paradox. I think?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

it is getting harder and harder for me to discern dialogue when there is enough background noise, even in non-Nolan things.

That is no joke a medical condition, while the English dub seems bad, I would suggest a checkup once this pandemic ends.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I don’t generally think I’m terribly stupid (just regular stupid), but when Kenneth Branagh shot his wife, and then that version of her was taken back-forwards through time for medical attention and then further back to his boat to murder-seduce him, why didn’t she need to be on oxygen?

Didn’t everyone need to be hooked up to air when they cross over between backwards and forwards time?

Did I miss something obvious, or is it just another universe rule that doesn’t matter?

I’m becoming a lot more comfortable with hating this total nonsense more I reflect on it.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SlowBloke posted:

That is no joke a medical condition, while the English dub seems bad, I would suggest a checkup once this pandemic ends.

I am an audiologist, and have been given every conceivable test of hearing including (C)APD which I'm guessing is what you are referring to and have no abnormalities. I also could not hear most of the movie.

Yes I did perform those tests again after seeing this movie just to check lol.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

it is getting harder and harder for me to discern dialogue when there is enough background noise,
I guess being a radio amateur and picking up faint voices from mountain top radio operators really paid off. :v: But really the theater has an excellent sound system (Atmos - I think) so I think that's the main reason why it seemed OK to me.

PuntCuncher posted:

I don’t generally think I’m terribly stupid (just regular stupid), but when Kenneth Branagh shot his wife, and then that version of her was taken back-forwards through time for medical attention and then further back to his boat to murder-seduce him, why didn’t she need to be on oxygen?.
You need inverted oxygen while going backwards in time, but once you're going forwards again you don't need an oxygen mask/tent anymore.

Edit: By the way, I expected an even more clever ending where they make Kenneth Branagh's character touch himself in the future or something, causing him to annihilate himself. That was before they pointed out that he already wanted to die.

Vir fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 28, 2020

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Two main things that annoyed me:

First, they made a big deal of Kat telling the other characters that "her son is her world" a lot. Numerous scenes involve dialog like "Everyone dies? Well, MY SON would die too!" and so on. Clearly this was an effort by Nolanbot to approximate human emotions in his movie. But then all through the movie we don't even get a decent look at the son and I don't believe he has any lines whatsoever. It's such a transparent ploy to inject 'personal stakes'.

Second, this may sound odd, but I actually wished Nolan would've doubled down on the 'reverse materials' part. In one of the opening scenes the female scientist explains that basically any object can have its entropy reversed. Yet, throughout the movie, it's mainly used to do reverse gunfire and have the reverse car chase and so on. There is very little Braid-style inversion of time to solve problems, apart from the final escape with the lock, I guess. I get that Nolan probably didn't want to make his film even MORE confusing but for a movie where time can go backwards it felt oddly restrained in the amount of creative stuff that was done with it. I don't know, it would've been fun to have one of those time-reversing doorways become portable so characters didn't have to be in a specific place to reverse themselves, that kind of thing. Early on, during the home invasion of the Indian weapons dealer, they briefly talked about doing a reverse bungee jump? I guess they did something like that, but it wasn't at all obvious to me what was going on there.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Sagacity posted:

Early on, during the home invasion of the Indian weapons dealer, they briefly talked about doing a reverse bungee jump? I guess they did something like that, but it wasn't at all obvious to me what was going on there.

They shot an anchor into the building, then tightened the bungee with a motor. The energy stored in the bungee then pulled them up to the building. Theoretically that would work, but I wonder how much instantaneous G-forces they would experience at the moment of release.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003

Vir posted:

They shot an anchor into the building, then tightened the bungee with a motor. The energy stored in the bungee then pulled them up to the building. Theoretically that would work, but I wonder how much instantaneous G-forces they would experience at the moment of release.
Ah okay, so nothing time-reversey going on there. I agree I'd probably be bad for your spine and/or neck :)

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Vir posted:

You need inverted oxygen while going backwards in time, but once you're going forwards again you don't need an oxygen mask/tent anymore.

Ooooooh, I guess. That seems even more utterly pointless to introduce as a device then, unless you want to give some sort of additional visual indicator as to which direction through time your characters are moving?

Feels like Nolan imaged a bunch of fight scenes involving hiding faces behind gas masks and needed to construct an in universe reason for the masks.

Bah.. if anyone needs me, I’ll be in the Angry Dome.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Well, it gives an additional justification for why the main character can't recognize himself when he fights himself at the Oslo Freeport. The visual indicator and the additional "handicap" stakes it gives seems to be the main reason though.

GoutPatrol posted:

Even though I guessed that the Freeport fight was them fighting themselves once Pattinson rushed to make sure Washington doesn't shoot the other one...but I didn't understand at the time that the turnstile meant it was the same person on both sides, so I thought they were both fighting a version of themselves.
I thought this too.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sagacity posted:

Two main things that annoyed me:

Second, this may sound odd, but I actually wished Nolan would've doubled down on the 'reverse materials' part. In one of the opening scenes the female scientist explains that basically any object can have its entropy reversed. Yet, throughout the movie, it's mainly used to do reverse gunfire and have the reverse car chase and so on. There is very little Braid-style inversion of time to solve problems, apart from the final escape with the lock, I guess. I get that Nolan probably didn't want to make his film even MORE confusing but for a movie where time can go backwards it felt oddly restrained in the amount of creative stuff that was done with it. I don't know, it would've been fun to have one of those time-reversing doorways become portable so characters didn't have to be in a specific place to reverse themselves, that kind of thing. Early on, during the home invasion of the Indian weapons dealer, they briefly talked about doing a reverse bungee jump? I guess they did something like that, but it wasn't at all obvious to me what was going on there.

didn't they use that to put the tracker in the briefcase?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

How would executing tenet kill everyone? I know they talk about reversing entropy for everything doing this, but what is the actual effect of that? At most I would imagine the Earth and everything on it moving backwards, but with people/animals still getting old, and so on since it's NOT TIME TRAVEL, remember.

This is what I kept thinking about in the second half.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Anne Frank Funk posted:

How would executing tenet kill everyone? I know they talk about reversing entropy for everything doing this, but what is the actual effect of that? At most I would imagine the Earth and everything on it moving backwards, but with people/animals still getting old, and so on since it's NOT TIME TRAVEL, remember.

This is what I kept thinking about in the second half.

Entropy is essentially just another expression for the passage of time. If time was reversed for everything, then life on earth would end by going back to before it started and all matter would eventually return to the moment of the big bang.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

objectively bad posted:

Entropy is essentially just another expression for the passage of time. If time was reversed for everything, then life on earth would end by going back to before it started and all matter would eventually return to the moment of the big bang.

Which is not an instant world ending event, plus people with reversed entropy in this movie behave completely normal, just with the world around them moving backwards. Which makes me think that if everything was inverted who's to say we would even notice it - based on the mechanics of inversion as presented in the movie.

Following up on that, why do the destroyed, inverted mechanisms in the lab-archive not become less destroyed over time?

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Which is not an instant world ending event, plus people with reversed entropy in this movie behave completely normal, just with the world around them moving backwards. Which makes me think that if everything was inverted who's to say we would even notice it - based on the mechanics of inversion as presented in the movie.

Following up on that, why do the destroyed, inverted mechanisms in the lab-archive not become less destroyed over time?

It is an instant world ending event. The moment entropy is reversed, time no longer moves forward, the second after it happens would never come. Nobody would notice that tomorrow never comes because nobody would reach tomorrow to realise it never comes.

The whole objective of tenet is to prevent an overall reversal of entropy, which is not what we see in the movie. It has vastly different consequences to the inversion of individuals.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

They do say that touching yourself in an inverted state would cause you to annihilate, possibly in the same way that antimatter and matter annihilates. In that case, if they invert the entire world without shifting it enough in space that it doesn't touch itself, then all the matter in the entire world would immediately turn into energy. Supposedly, one small object touching itself will not release the same amount of energy as an antimatter/matter annihilation, but if you scale that up to the entire universe - or even the planet - it would be a world-ending event.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I'm not sure I entirely caught it, but there's an explanation at some point that compares inversion to "swimming against the tide" because the greater world around inverted materials or people is still moving in the correct direction - the debris kept in the lab can't change until actions that influence them actually take place around them, forcing them to move in that direction.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Vir posted:

But really the theater has an excellent sound system (Atmos - I think) so I think that's the main reason why it seemed OK to me.
I can't even find out if this movie has an Atmos track. Nolan is an IMAX nut (that's digital 7.1) and has long expressed skepticism about object-based audio (can't drown everything in multiband limiting, huh Chris?), the end credits only had the Dolby logo instead of the usual "Dolby Atmos in selected theatres" (could've been just the IMAX reel, that's how I saw it), the only leads I found was speculation on some German blog (will this be Nolan's first Atmos title???) and some dude's trailer repost with "Atmos 7.1" (lol) in the title, nothing concrete one way or the other :saddowns:

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Definitely not Nolan's best. Mumbled dialogue with loud explosions/music, absolutely no emotional stakes and a perfunctory plot that serves to rocket you from one set piece to another. Honestly, it felt most similar to some of the old call of duties with a thin layer of exposition barely connected to anything before over satellite images as the game loads the next level.

The whole final set piece battle made absolutely no sense, it never felt like the random Russian goons were actually a threat, just sources of constant noise and explosions. And what was that about anyone seeing the macguffin having to die? If the point is that it can't be copied, then why do they care, and who gave the order if not the future Protagonist himself?

Very pretty, but I think Arrival and Predestination are better told versions of essentially the same story.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Captain Theron posted:

The whole final set piece battle made absolutely no sense, it never felt like the random Russian goons were actually a threat, just sources of constant noise and explosions. And what was that about anyone seeing the macguffin having to die? If the point is that it can't be copied, then why do they care, and who gave the order if not the future Protagonist himself?

Very pretty, but I think Arrival and Predestination are better told versions of essentially the same story.

I think the deal with THE ALGORITHM and needing to die at the end was basically a version of 'dead men tell no tales'. If you're dead, you can't reveal where you hid the parts to anyone.

Really good shout on Predestination, it's a fairly overlooked film but the story is well told like you say. And Arrival is great too, of course - just much better known.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qftxlwjVsT1vdfl96.mp4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Holy poo poo, this is a really great clip from the film. Thank you for posting this, I am even more excited now for this movie!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Just saw it, trying to come to grips with it.

Question about the ending:

Which Sator is shot at the end?

At some point, Kat tells Protagonist about her arriving at the boat and seeing some other woman diving off it.

Afterwards, poo poo happens, including things with Sator, and eventually they travel back in time for the big assault thing, while Kat goes to the boat to make sure Sator doesn't die too quickly. She kills Sator and dives off the boat and buggers off.

So with Sator dead, how can he then still do the things he's supposed to do? Including meeting the Protagonist and everything? Did I miss something?

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

uXs posted:

At some point, Kat tells Protagonist about her arriving at the boat and seeing some other woman diving off it.

Afterwards, poo poo happens, including things with Sator, and eventually they travel back in time for the big assault thing, while Kat goes to the boat to make sure Sator doesn't die too quickly. She kills Sator and dives off the boat and buggers off.

So with Sator dead, how can he then still do the things he's supposed to do? Including meeting the Protagonist and everything? Did I miss something?

Also massive ending spoilers It is "future" Sator who is killed at the end, this is why Kat shows him the bullet wound, to show it's "future" her, with "past" her being on the speedboat with her son. What happens is "past" Sator leaves the boat and goes on to do the events of the movie like meeting Protagonist and shooting his wife. "Future" Sator, after assembling the Algorithm inverses himself like the heroes do and goes to that boat at that time, knowing his past self isn't there, planning to time his suicide with the explosion. Because it was a truly happy time for him or whatever Kat says. Kat shoots him and we get the hilarious body disposal. The whole movie is a loop, Kat always kills her husband at that time and always sees herself dive off the boat, like Protagonist always fights himself in Oslo and always tells Priya to change the plan and she will always refuse and so on. It's like Terminator 1 or Timecrimes if you've seen those.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

uXs posted:

Sator went back in time to relive/experience that place again. The original Sator had already left the boat at that point - but did the original Kat know if she was talking to a Sator who was originally there, or one that inverted back to get there? That is something untold. I think if I could go back and see the movie again and just focus on what she said in the original dinner convo about the boat trip, we would then be able to see those clues for it

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 26 minutes!
does Pattinson's character imply strongly that he is also Michael Caine's character at the end with that whole speech to the Protagonist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

He says he's at the endpoint of their friendship already, when for the Protagonist it hasn't yet begun, then goes to sacrifice himself. He inverted back to before his first meeting with P, so he could meet him for the first time - at that point Neill has already lived a life as P's sidekick.