Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I loved Interstellar, TDK, and Inception, but turned this one off halfway through.

The plot is baffling and from reading the synopsis I did not miss anything or lose out by ending early.

Good acting, some fun scenes, some snappy dialogue, cool effects, just absolutely impenetrable plot. Maybe I’m sleep deprived and stupid from having a new infant but I had zero problem with his other “head scratchers”.

If I have to go watch a YouTube video where some bearded man explains to me that I need to watch scenes A,J,K,X in reverse and scenes B,F,G,Z are the subplot in forward time but backwards and really the plot makes sense if you follow this graph showing a parallel universe and then if he says the word “paradox” I’m gonna poo poo my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Darko posted:

I didn't like the movie all that much (I didn't feel any emotional empathy with the characters like I normally do in his movies), but it wasn't that hard or obtuse to "get" on the first time. I mean, once you realize things are going backwards, you realize what is happening in the airport fight pretty much immediately, and are just looking at the rest of the movie to see why that was happening in particular.

I didn’t figure it out, and that’s actually when I turned the movie off during the 2nd airport scene.

Why does protagonist have to fight himself? Why are they gurneying the lady around everywhere? Why mention that gravity and friction are backwards and then clearly show that to not be the case.

I said out loud “if there’s one more loving shot of that gurney wheeling around in the second viewing of the exact same slow rear end 15 minute scene then I’m gonna flip out” There were like 5 more shots.

What if we shot Memento again but instead of a tight premise and a single chronological gimmick we apply the Memento effect to every single character, scene, and plot item at random

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

This movie is like Nolan had a weird dream with its own internal logic and then tried to film it. There are a lot of arbitrary rules and plot holes peppered throughout because the core plot of the movie is just half-baked.

Inception - awesome action scenes governed by “dream” logic. Convoluted plot and ambiguous ending.

Interstellar - awesome space scenes governed by relativistic space travel, “childlike love”, and “4D space odyssey” logic. Straightforward plot but bizarre ending

Tenet - decent action scenes and spy thriller governed by “Opposite Day” logic. A script written by two playground kids saying “no actually that doesn’t happen because it’s Opposite Day so my soldier shoots your soldier in the future before your guy shoots in the past”.

All of them rely on a childlike sense of curiosity and internal logic, but only the last one is also very frustrating.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

If I had a magic turnstyle I’d go back in time to help Nolan make a better movie.

I would go back in time so I could invert my TV so that it played the movie forwards in time while my future self is watching the movie and is disappointed, but because it’s inverted the disappointment is actually enjoyment, but then the inversion radiation gives me ball cancer and I die in the past so I can live in the future with Robert Pattinson.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

That reddit post where someone made a diagram to explain this movie like it's Primer was pretty funny.

I had no idea what was going on in Primer either and it made more sense than this movie. At least those guys weren’t putting guns and bullets in their little time travel boxes and sending them back so that they could shoot backwards for no reason.

I think this movie wouldn’t have been such a massive let down if it weren’t for COVID. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing it, then there was absolutely no way I would step into a crowded movie theater. I expected Nolan to just release it digitally like every other sane person but then he made his big song and dance “You must see it on the big screen to appreciate my genius!”

Ok whatever dude, I’ll wait you out. And then it finally releases to DVD and the big screen doesn’t make a lick of difference. Thanks Nolan you pretentious rear end in a top hat. What a dumbass. I could have watched this on a Gameboy Advance on an airplane and drawn the exact same conclusion.