Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's an old saw, but I couldn't make out half of Bane's dialogue in TDKR. Perhaps partially a combination of the cinema's sound system and not being able to see his mouth movements, but the mix still has to take the blame for some of it, because I never had any trouble making out what Darth Vader was saying. "Let's make him sound like he's talking through a drainpipe, who could have a problem with that?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ruffian Price posted:

Yes, P has already met him after he spent years inverted (remember how twitchy he was in their first scene?), but he (in the future) has yet to meet P. Hence the beginning of a beautiful friendship for P and the end for Neil.
Wonder if Nolan is a Doctor Who fan? That's River Song's whole plot arc.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Simone Magus posted:

But also had about it this incredibly sterile detachment and surreality of the mundane that made me feel like it was made by robots
Nolan's big/impersonal movies often have the too-clean feel of a videogame that was shipped a little too early, so while all the scenery's there, the detailing that makes it look real is lacking. (The example I always think of is the alley in TDKR that's devoid of dirt or litter or grime despite having a frequently-used sewer access right there.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Super Foul Egg posted:

Also probably stop ending these things with Call of Duty longplays my dude!
Jesus, the snow base section of Inception. It wasn't like watching someone else playing Call Of Duty - it felt like having someone describe someone else playing Call Of Duty. ("Oh, there's another soldier... he's going to snipe him... he sniped him.") Just the most inert, emotionally disconnected and unexciting action sequence despite the enormous amount of money spent on it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

JazzFlight posted:

Actually, you're right. When do those bullets appear there? Like, for instance, the bullets in the glass. When they installed the glass, did it already have bullets in it? Or the broken passenger sideview mirror on the car during the chase scene. I spotted it early, figuring it would be "repaired" by crashing into an inverted car later, but when was it broken in the first place?
"Hey, this mirror's broken, should I get a replacement?"
"Nah, we'd have to stop the production line, and I've almost made quota for the day. Just stick it on there, nobody'll notice."

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
It's all a ploy to drive sales of the book of the script.

(It would be funny if the script had lines like "The Protagonist shouts unintelligibly".)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Haven't seen Dunkirk so maybe I'm being wrong and unfair, but it just struck me that Nolan can't do action.

I don't mean he can't shoot an eye-popping "here's something you've never seen before" setpiece, like the zero-g hallway in Inception. I mean bread and butter stuff like a gunfight or punch-up. I randomly rewatched Bad Boys on Netflix last night, and even though it's Bay's first movie done on a tight budget, his chases and shootouts have way more energy and excitement than Nolan's equivalents - I'm thinking the "watching someone else play Modern Warfare 2" snow battle from Inception, or the interpretive dance mass brawl from TDKR. They're big and expensive, but... there's nothing visceral about them. They're dispassionate, clinical - all head and no gut, something you observe rather than experience. Nothing I've seen from Tenet so far seems any different.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
If being clipped by an inverted bullet would still kill you with Time Radiation, breathing in inverted gunsmoke should be like a lifetime 5000-a-day habit with added plutonium.

(And yes, the same would be true of smelling an inverted fart.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
So what would happen if, the first time you approached the turnstile, you got freaked out by the sight of your inverted self reverse-exiting it and decided "gently caress that, I'm not going in there"? Do the time travel rules say that you've already gone through, so there's nothing you can do to prevent it however hard you try - and what does that say about the nature of free will?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The goon who said "things stop existing outside the scene they're in" seems to be bang on the money. Never mind cars being built with broken mirrors or bullets always being in walls otherwise; if someone's killed while they're inverted, how the hell does that work beyond the scene? From the point of view of someone in normal time before the moment of the death, there's a body that defies the laws of causality gradually un-decomposing, every molecule of it as toxic as plutonium and slowly un-working their way through the surrounding ecosystem. How do you get rid of it if you don't have a turnstile? Un-burn it?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait wait wait what if you're inverted and you need to peepee or poopoo?
See well-known science documentary Red Dwarf's episode 'Backwards' (I'm pretty sure Nolan must have).

https://youtu.be/36xSrKhCojw

I said a while back that thanks to Time Radiation, an inverted fart would be as lethal as an inverted bullet if someone was unlucky enough to smell it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pulcinella posted:

It gets even weirder and pure magic when the two states interact. Actually I guess it’s less weird because it’s the only way it makes sense. Why would anyone install a glass window with what looks like bullet holes? Why aren’t people weirded out about bodies spontaneously in-decomposing, lying on the ground for weeks at a time, before a bullet flies out of their head?
Seems it would have been better to have a story about backwards-time people interacting with forwards-time people in an episode of TNG than a James Bond action thriller. Any problems can vanish in a flash of technobabble before the Enterprise flies off for its next adventure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jerkface posted:

Nolan manages to have boringly realistic gun handling with none of the consequences, like everyone is shooting a bunch of airsoft guns. I think it sets the wrong tone.
Yup, that's the Call of Duty snow base sequence of Inception in a nutshell. It could/should have been thrilling and visceral, but it's just kind of... there. (It's not helped by having Leo remind the audience that none of it's real and you don't have to feel sorry for any of the faceless mooks they're half-heartedly gunning down.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I know my first thought if I was presented with time-gently caress technology would be "can I cause a paradox?", and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Probably why I'm not being recruited for the Time Police.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing, the fight choreography far surpasses the Batman trilogy.
The Batman trilogy, famous for its easy to follow, exciting, clearly-shot and thrillingly-edited fight scenes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Nolan is particularly bad when it comes to editing car chases

https://vimeo.com/28792404
I hadn't seen that before, but drat. Not even bothering to keep track of how many police cars are in the convoy is really lazy/uncaring. Also, the 18-wheeler t-bones the SWAT van off the road. The van with Dent inside is six feet behind the SWAT van, but doesn't crash into the rig's trailer because, uh...

The same guy did a similar analysis of a chase from Salt, which is a middling thriller but I thought did a good job with the action (as in: it's exciting, has a clear sense of geography, and you're never in any doubt as to what's happening), and it was good to see I'm not the only person who thought so.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Terror Sweat posted:

He's gets a lot of leeway thanks to the rock and bad boys
It says something that Michael Bay's best movie is a quarter of a century old. Then his next movie kicked off with GET MY [different angle] PHONE BOOK and things kind of deteriorated from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My big problem with Tenet is that it's just not exciting. At all. Big-budget action is happening, real 747s are being crashed, mass battles are going on with time-fuckery causing buildings to explode and implode... and it's just utterly loving inert, all energy drained from it.

Turns out "What if we do an action scene, but then do it again backwards? :haw: " isn't the mind-blowing trick Nolan thought it would be.