Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Bust Rodd posted:

Batman is also not the prestigious and exciting role it used to be, because Bale and Affleck loving sucked so insanely bad at it.

Yeah they completely failed to reach the bar set by George Clooney. :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bones 4 beginners posted:

I don't get the inverted bullets. If you catch it or whatever you're reversing the damage done, right? How would shooting a person work? You undo shooting them? So when you shot it they were already dead? I mean where is the bullet coming from from the POV of the not inverted person? It just spontaneously manifests and then gets yanked out or what?

It's like when someone's legs are in a hold in a WWE match and no matter who is commentating they're quick to point out how if the holdee can just roll over, the entire hold will be reversed and all of the pain the holdee is experiencing will immediately shoot into the holder's soul all at one time REVERSING THE POLARITY

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I liked the repeated the early scene showing refuge from the future war that turned out to be naturally stagnation from environmental/human society collapse and also the emphasis on sending stuff back and forth but intentionally staying in the dark about some of it allowing for repeated, gradual changes to the future to improve the world where single huge actions won't work because it implies that the sator squares that are referenced throughout the movie's names are things sent back to that time period from the future to being the chain reaction of saving the world

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

What was the point of the technicians exposition anyway? It’s never used in plot again. If Nolan wanted to introduce her as a potentially the future scientist he could have done it a much better way.

Also what’s with the thick rear end green gloves at the lab? That’s a mechanic we never see again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jp4aKMK57w

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So Tenet is Nolan's movie about himself lol

NOLAN
OLANO
LANOL
ANOLA
NALON

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

When does the scene where P meets the scientist take place?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They never say anything like this, but the movie feels like it makes more sense if there is a grand time loop with the algorithm. Like in the year 5000 humans discover 8 cubes that explain time technology and make time technology and are prosperous, then in the year 6000 a woman goes "oh poo poo, what if there was a 9th cube, you could reverse the arrow of time!" then freaks out, realizes the implications of her research, then secretly throws all the things into radiation that is so bad no one can touch until the far past before they were so radioactive. At which point they loop around, inspire the civilization with technology, come to the shocking discovery, then loop around again.

Also they realize how far back they have to go since they have to make small changes over time instead of just doing one thing at one point that fixes every problem at once so it begins with the actual Sator Squares from like Roman times being the earliest thing sent from the furthest future to the past to subtly guide events. I got that same impression that the movie makes more sense if it "takes place" over a waaaaaaaaaay longer range of time than what we see in the movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Bird in a Blender posted:

The rules around needing a gas mask seemed a little weird. During Sator's interrogation of P while he's holding Kat hostage, he takes off his mask, but she has one on. Did I miss something here? Why can he take his mask off? Are there special rooms that don't require the gas mask?

I THINK the idea was that this was because he was inverted the whole time which IIRC we learn sort of around that time? It felt weird to me too like even if you are some mastermind of this stuff to do that.

The real reason is surely when people are making movies they just need to either commit to having someone wear a mask or just have something with an open/clear face when they want to do dramatic moments or whatever instead of setting up something with masks and then "whelp my charater's gonna talk a lot of poo poo now time to take this off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

well why not posted:

There's just no energy, everyone seems half asleep. I can't believe how much duller it is than (possibly his best film) Interstellar, which has like eight things happen in 3 hours.

I don't know about its production but it felt like there was some weird shift in what direction they wanted to take the movie in and that they didn't fully tidy it all up. It kind of reminded me of Lynch Dune (which I do love) where like 95% of the dialogue is exposition.

Like at first the protagonist goes to the lab and they show him the reversed material and stuff and it's spoken of almost as if this is a thing someone can personally learn to control and master over individual stuff. But then later the nature of the threat/how the stuff works changes completely and you need the two way time tunnel thing to get poo poo going.

The big battle at the end was really boring and stupid to me too. I mean I understand why it was happening the way it was but like, impressive lack of entertainment that.

It's a LITTLE greater than the sum of its parts though, overall I dug it and

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the symbolic interpretation and political implications of the movie's schizoid attitude are pretty interesting in the abstract when talking about smooth spaces, free economic zones, the occulted state, and the affect of counterinsurgency policy on the identity/function of the nation state. In a dismantled time-capsule sense, it really works as an experience.

Pretty much this