Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Here are things you can do it Tenet:

Witness a mysterious figure while you're doing a mission, then invert yourself and become that mysterious figure.
Send information to yourself in the past
Exist in multiple places at once (although these are not true clones, they are future and past versions of yourself)

Here's the thing you absolutely cannot do:

See something definitively happen and then say "I'm going to use time travel to prevent that" and then actually prevent it

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

You can also argue some kind of quantum bullshit where knowing is like observing so you can change things only that are unknown to an observer but once someone knows how something happens it’s set in stone.

Whether the filmmakers meant to or not, this is exactly what they created.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

"But he can't do that! He MUST take the bullet to India so it can be made?" Why? The same dubious exposition says he has free will, and this is a fantasy movie about wizards who use spy magic. The bullet can be a magic bullet that has existed since the dawn/end of time.

I mean it's true, it's a movie, this is not a documentary. But if the Spy Magic doesn't obey any of the Law Arcana then what the hell are we left with? Some well-shot car crash footage played backwards, and some bad action footage also played backwards? Oh and the building being time-hosed (seriously, the building being time-hosed is drat near the price of admission)? Dunno, I enjoyed playing with the rules of the setting because the time travel rule stuff was interesting. The characters and plot sure as hell wasn't.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

gregday posted:

Does Sator throw the case back or does it get sucked out of his hands?

This is actually a bit of cleverness from the movie. From the Protag's perspective, Sator is catching the empty case and is duped. From Sator's inverted perspective, he is throwing back the empty case because he knows it's a ruse.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That's a legit problem, btw. The algorithm piece is not in the car when Protag inverts and first checks it. Then it suddenly is in the car when it's time to fly back into the case. But when did it get into the car in the first place? It's not there when the car starts moving the the Protagonist never leaves the car unattended. It just appears out of thin air.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

gregday posted:

It is there though. When he gets in he looks in the back to make sure it’s there.

They don't show it. He looks in the back to make sure it's there and then does nothing with it, and just drives it up to Sator, where he knows that he threw it into the very car he's driving less than 30 minutes ago? That doesn't seem in character to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fair enough, I suppose. I wish they would have shown the algorithm piece though to really establish how dumb the Protag is being. "Cowboy poo poo" indeed.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Bioshuffle posted:

there isn't a single time travel movie in existence that won't fall apart upon scrutiny.

Absolutely bizarre post of "I don't need to or want to pay attention to movies but if I did I'm sure they would fall apart". Glad you enjoyed the film but this sentiment is nonsense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

JazzFlight posted:

The simple special effects shots in this YouTube video are more impressive than anything in TENET.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gooWdc6kb80

Look that's a cool video but seeing a milk bottle get time-hosed isn't more impressive than seeing an actual building get time-hosed. Other than that yeah that's a cool vid, thanks for sharing!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, the time-hosed building is not technically possible without the "winds of entropy" explanation (that things hit by inverted objects eventually "push back" against the damage and reform themselves from an inverted perspective - from a regular perspective they start to fall apart/crack/shatter a couple hours before they're hit). Otherwise what the hell happened? The construction company brought piles of rubble to the town, which 30 years later turn into a building that blows up?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The best way I can describe it is that there is an explanation that holds up if you don't think too hard about it. Search for Welbey Coffeespill on YouTube.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dren posted:

ok that’s fine then

Stuff that bothered me included:
* how does a temporal pincer movement make any sense at all. like you go forward through it but there is no “first time” you’ve gone forward through and the reverse people are always going backwards through it with the knowledge of what you did, and also you could have talked to them and know what they did. which… huh??? and what are the logistics of setting up the red team/blue team version, how do they get to their starting points in order to attack? why do we need a red and blue team, they were all coming from the future couldn’t they just watch what happened at stalsk-12 on their way to the past? just… huh???

Team Blue is the "original team" that goes in as in: they have no knowledge of what is going to happen. they are people who just hang out in a bunker until after the battle is over, then they get in an inverter, then they get in an inverted helicopter, then they do the battle according to their plan. At the end, they un-invert and tell Team Red what happened. Then Team Red goes in with some idea of what's going to happen. But they can't actually change what Team Blue saw. But that might be ok, because Team Blue might tell them "there was a minefield at this position and you avoided it". Big win there.

Also technically you COULD be on Team Blue, un-invert, and go on Team Red. Wowzers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

You can't challenge your fate. Right after the Protagonist inverts he walks outside and sees a puddle start to ripple. With a confused look he steps in it and the ripples center on his foot and then disappear. At no point could he see the ripples and say "gently caress you Universe, I ain't gonna step there" anymore than I can leap off a cliff and say "gently caress you Universe, I ain't gonna fall"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Props to the one guy on Youtube still making explainer videos on Tenet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvFVLYRNmsM